Enable voice chat in Saudi Arabia, stand against censorship

General Discussion
05/01/2017 06:04 AMPosted by Demopan
05/01/2017 05:55 AMPosted by Lightsworn
Blizzard is a business, not a political entity.

Could have fooled anyone with that, given their stunt with the Christmas comic.

Relatively sure Blizzard is a business with shareholders, employees, quarterly goals, customers, etc.
05/01/2017 06:09 AMPosted by GhostlyLure
<span class="truncated">...</span>

If you think someone being gay is political you have some self evaluation to do.

Making a charachter gay on Christmas... Isn't neccesarily a political statement. However, someone percieving it to be is certaintly not completely outside the bounds of reason for doing so.

I don't think it was really a political statement, more of briding another inclusitivity gap. They wanted to extend inclusion to gay people, like they've done with races, genders, and ages, but it certaintly makes sense that some Christians would think it was politically motivated, only because of the timing.

Any other time and it'd be irrational to say it was, but right around Christmas is defintely grounds for suspicion. (Though i don't think it matters even if they were)

Nothing is wrong with their comic of christmas...
its toxic people like you who ruin the overwatch community
That's awesome guys, a few more salty tears and Saudia Arabia will change their mind.
05/01/2017 06:17 AMPosted by Buggmaster
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Let's also not forget about that "controversial" Tracer pose. I don't really like it when companies shout "we are for diversity, we stand agains racism and sexism", ban victory poses that offended someone and that sort of crap.

However when it comes to issues that actually matter, like free speech in countries like Saudi Arabia, they are silent as a vacuum.

So what it's going to be Blizzard, are you non-political and will therefore return the Tracer victory psoe, or are you political and enable voice chat in Saudi Arabia?

Blizzard is nonsense, these fish dont get it.

Why doesn't blizzard release a diversity report on their company. Lets see how much equality actually exists. How many women/minorities are programmers. How many women/minorities they have as execs and in senior jobs.

Look for yourselves https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard_Entertainment

Look at how many of those are women or minorities. LOL! It's jibrish what they preach.

Nothing is wrong with their comic of christmas...
its toxic people like you who ruin the overwatch community
05/01/2017 05:52 AMPosted by Sporech
Why was it banned?

Because the communication laws there ban it. And Blizzard would get in big trouble with the US Government if they decided to arbitrarily break communication laws. And that's assuming they even have the technology to do so, relying on other country's technological infrastructure to get by and all.

Just because Blizzard isn't violating international law, that doesn't mean they support Saudi Arabia's ban on their voice chat. You have no idea what they are lobbying for or against unless you're on their Political Action Committee (which all large corporations have.)

If you're in a Middle Eastern country that bans voice chat protocols, I'm told there are ways around that. But you really can't expect Blizzard to start an international incident over voice comms in a video game - not when there are legals methods to lobby through.
05/01/2017 10:44 AMPosted by Chewy

Look at how many of those are women or minorities. LOL! It's jibrish what they preach.

Yeah. God forbid they try to change and start encouraging diversity. Once run by white, straight men, companies must ALWAYS be run by white, straight men. Am I right? We should never, ever try to change or improve! We must always stay as we have been!

What a load of malarky.

Also, any researcher worth a grain of salt will tell you that sourcing Wikipedia is a bad thing to do.

If you actually research the company, you'll see that they've been putting a lot of effort into promoting diversity within their organization. Actual effort, as in put it in their official Mission statement. (Not might sound big to you, but I actually worked for a 'no change' organization run by old, white, straight dudes. They paid a lot of lip service towards diversity - and didn't do 1/100th of what Blizzard has actually done.)

Let's also not forget about that "controversial" Tracer pose. I don't really like it when companies shout "we are for diversity, we stand agains racism and sexism", ban victory poses that offended someone and that sort of crap.

However when it comes to issues that actually matter, like free speech in countries like Saudi Arabia, they are silent as a vacuum.

So what it's going to be Blizzard, are you non-political and will therefore return the Tracer victory psoe, or are you political and enable voice chat in Saudi Arabia?

Blizzard is nonsense, these fish dont get it.

Why doesn't blizzard release a diversity report on their company. Lets see how much equality actually exists. How many women/minorities are programmers. How many women/minorities they have as execs and in senior jobs.

Trying to prove how many women and minorities work at Blizz by linking the wiki page might be the best thing I see today.
Blizzard I demand that you bring servers to North Korea! This is COMPLETELY unacceptable!!!!!
05/01/2017 10:59 AMPosted by Zish
Blizzard I demand that you bring servers to North Korea! This is COMPLETELY unacceptable!!!!!

Let's keep posting about it on the forums, Kim Jong Un will listen; I swear he will ; )
Success shouldn't be measured in GDP or military power but happiness index. A rich country could have a handful of people with tons and tons of money and the rest are dirt poor so that can't really count. America is generally happier than Saudi Arabia, in America you go to Mosque or Church because you choose to not because the state tells you that you have to. Washington and Jefferson were devout Christians (Anglicans I might add so suck it Pilgrims) who understood this. We can also say whatever we want about the president.

People on the Obama hate bandwagon burned Obama effigies and had racist signs but that was still their right.
Y'all are some ignant mofos, Saudia Arabia out there stoning thots for being thots. You think they're going to listen to tears caused by mic functions?

If the Tracer pose change was because of a need for it to be "PC", they would have removed Symmetra's Devi skin when some complained that it was "culturally insensitive".

But I guess you completely forgot about that... anything to support your incessant whining.
Problems of Saudi Arabia cannot be solved by Blizzard, better ask US armed forces or maybe UN to deal with it. It's not Blizzard's job. Such regime cannot be changed by complaints, only by bombs and bullets (or by a lot of time).
05/01/2017 06:06 AMPosted by Buggmaster
05/01/2017 05:58 AMPosted by Lobo
It's likely that unauthorized VoIP is blocked by the SA ISP, not Blizzard, and most likely not because of censorship, but rather to protect the monopoly of local telecom companies. There's nothing Blizzard can do about it.

This is untrue. Blizzard could send the voice data as regular data (like hero positions, ability usage, etc) instead of VOIP data so that it couldn't be detected. However if this would require additional programming, then that would be even less incentive for Blizzard to do it. Too bad.

Right so Blizzard will re-code the entire voice chat code just to cater to one little country in Asia that isn't a huge major gaming hotspot that comprises a big chunk of their market. All to break the law just so some white knights on a stupid American message board can say that political correctness and diversity is our strength. It's not happening.

People have to live with the limitations of where they live all the time. Saudi Arabians will just have to live with it.
Deep voiced movie trailer guy: "In a world where a simple thread requesting voice communication was asked on the bnet forums ... things ... GOT ... POLITICAL."
Let's also not forget about that "controversial" Tracer pose.

The only thing "controversial" about the victory pose was that Blizzard decided the pose didn't fit Tracer's character.

It wasn't removed for being "offensive" to anybody. It was removed because they felt it wasn't in line with how Tracer acts.

FYI, the pose they replaced it with is directly ripped from a classic WWII pin-up poster.

http://res.cloudinary.com/lmn/image/upload/c_limit,e_sharpen:150,f_auto,fl_lossy,h_360,q_80,w_640/v1/gameskinnyc/c/f/u/cfuzgn5vaaazn37-57c86.jpg

Do a little research before you flip the !@#$ out.
Countries have certain rules for having businesses sell their products there. In countries with certain cultural leanings, they may require Blizzard to not have something in their game. In other countries, like SA (which is objectively oppressive regime) it is likely a requirement of their state to ban the use of voice in said programs for a variety of reasons. The voice chat could be used as a means to bypass the governments censorship protocols, relay information from one person to another, and exchange ideas and concepts that the SA government feels would undermine their authority. To prevent that, they simply just prevent it from happening.

I usually dont give it to much concern, because ultimately, these kind of measures for those particular reasons always fail. It just makes it more apparent that people's thoughts and opinions and being curtailed by the gov. And when that happens, people are a lot less likely to view said governments as a positive thing. Its just a slower burn until a revolt, but it is still inevitable if Governments continue to clamp down harder and harder on people's ability to express themselves.
05/01/2017 05:53 AMPosted by HintOfMalice
I discovered this yesterday when I asked a teammate to join voice chat on PS4 and they couldn't because of that. We still won, but the comms would have helped.

Is party chat banned too? If not, that's another way around the voice chat ban.