Is a 144 Hz monitor worth it?

General Discussion
I've bought a 60 Hz monitor with a 1080p resolution right after I have built my pc, but I'm planning of replacing it.

I have seen players saying that a 144 Hz monitor may improve a players gameplay.
Is this really true?
It will not magically make you much better, if at all. It will, however, bring a fantastic looking experience that will make going back to a mere 60 fps very difficult.

Its also not just the framerate, but how instantly responsive the monitor will feel.
Well it will look a lot smoother, especially if the monitor has freesync/gsync. I went from a 60hz to a 2k 144hz with gsync and I can safely say my aim has improved.

edit: this is what I have: https://www.neweggbusiness.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9B-24-260-333&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleBiz-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleBiz-PC-_-pla-_-Monitors+-+LCD+Flat+Panel-_-9B-24-260-333&gclid=CNiXw8GdttMCFciFswodaDgPeQ

Just make sure your gpu can even run games past 60 frames to take advantage of a higher refresh rate
Short answer. Very.
04/21/2017 11:52 AMPosted by Bloggerman

I have seen players saying that a 144 Hz monitor may improve a players gameplay.
Is this really true?

A 144hz monitor will give you a better visual output which will assist you to make better decisions in your matches.

If you often miss your shots due to screen tearing, you will probably have a better performance since you are now gonna be able to see properly, but don't expect for a monitor to instantly give you better accuracy.

If you are planning to get one just make sure your current GPU is compatible for 144hz and make sure your game can run over 144 fps to get the most out of your monitor (you can notice a difference even at 80fps but it will be like grabbing a small slice of cake).

Cheers.
I just ordered mine yesterday! My friend keeps telling me how much he loves his so I had to get one too. So I'd think yes
144 hz monitor will make you a pro guaranteed.
If it doesn't you can refund it...pretty sure...for that reason alone. :P
Yes. You get to see all the frames while aiming at an enemy so you can stop on them real easy rather than feel like your reticle blinks to new locations you aim at; causing you to readjust.
A Monitor with 144Hz and 1ms GTG delay will give you the best in terms of responsiveness and reduces motion blur that is seen in 60Hz monitors
04/21/2017 11:57 AMPosted by Amazing
Well it will look a lot smoother, especially if the monitor has freesync/gsync. I went from a 60hz to a 2k 144hz with gsync and I can safely say my aim has improved.

edit: this is what I have: https://www.neweggbusiness.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9B-24-260-333&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleBiz-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleBiz-PC-_-pla-_-Monitors+-+LCD+Flat+Panel-_-9B-24-260-333&gclid=CNiXw8GdttMCFciFswodaDgPeQ

Just make sure your gpu can even run games past 60 frames to take advantage of a higher refresh rate
Will a gtx 1080 (with a i7 6700k processor) good enough ;)

Thanks for your reply. Judging by your reply (and by the replies from the other users) will a 144Hz monitor improve the gameplay.

I will replace my current monitor with a 144 Hz monitor.
In an utterly comical display of "wat" in 2016 they tied sens to frame rate.

So if you're serious about doing well then yes.
"Is a 144 Hz monitor worth it?"
depends... how much do u pay for it?
everything has a price, u know.

I bought my 27" gsync dell 144hz monitor at $350. it worths every penny.

I am using a cheap gfx 1060 with i7 cpu to get 144 fps.
(I dont see the need of gfx 1080 unless u wanna 4k res.)
I have 144Hz monitor but i always played with 60Hz until 3-4 months ago , it wont make your aim better , it will make your game look better, right now you wont notice any difference , but when you play on 144hz , the 60hz will look like tra$
Acer has some 144Hz monitors under $200, they're pretty good. I think it's worth it, I can barely play at 60FPS now without feeling like I'm on a console. But everyone's right it won't make you a better player but it will make tracking people a lot smoother
worth it, i've noticed it's helped with input lag, and helps keep the image clearer, helping aim.

It's not a pro button, but i find it helps greatly in terms of aim.

If you've played on a 144hz monitor for a while, and try it out at 60hz, the game feels very choppy, and the experience very unpleasing and difficult.
It is the equivalent of time slowing down- everything moves so smoothly that aiming becomes easier and it physically feels as though the game is slower, I once had the privilege to try out a 144hz screen, and it was by far the best reaping experience so far
Could also get a cheap CRT and adjust your resolution settings.
I've never played on a 144Hz monitor, but I wouldn't want to. After being a gamer my entire life, I finally grew up and bought my own gaming PC and I am now able to play most games at 60fps... I can't go back to playing in less than 40fps now.

That being said, unless your income is high enough to keep your PC powerful enough to have a constant 144fps throughout the times, I wouldn't recommend getting a 144Hz monitor because something that bothers me the most is the inconsistent fps. If your computer is not powerful enough, then your fps could vary greatly between 60-144Hz and that constant variation is really annoying to the eyes, at least for me. Not to mention that not all games support over 60fps, heck even some games are locked at 30fps. And like Joker said, once you go 144Hz, anything inferior will look like trash, so it's gonna be a hard time for you playing other games that don't support over 30-60fps.

Even so, I don't really believe 144Hz would affect your gameplay, I'd recommend getting a gaming (more sensitive) mouse, a large and smooth mouse pad, a gaming/comfortable chair and maybe a mechanical keyboard too to make you more your gaming experience more comfortable, thus probably improving your gameplay.
I recently got a 144Hz 1440p monitor, was using a 60Hz 1080p one. I have noticed slight improvements in accuracy and being able to track targets better. I would imagine this is because it is a much, Much, smoother experience. I will say, as others have, it won't magically make you a better player. The reduced response time and increase in the amount of frames shown per second does help though in my opinion.

This is the monitor I got: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G5JYN0C/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I don't have an AMD card, so I don't get the benefit of FreeSync. However, using a 980Ti, I haven't noticed any screen tearing in all the games I've tested it on. Also, a 1080 is more than enough. I turn down AA a little bit and still run right at 200fps at 1440p.
I got mine last week.

Worth every penny.