2 Maps a Year enough?

General Discussion
1 2 3 8 Next
Highly Rated
Overwatch's anniversary is almost here... just a month away now. And it concerns me that they only released 2 maps in one year span.
I remember Jeff saying they were working on a few maps last year (around Nov or December) but so far we've only seen 1 new map this year. With anniversary just around the corner and about half of this year already passed... are we just going to get 1 new map? or if any at all?... this is really disappointing to be honest.
Highly Rated
but we have many new skins!!!!

hahahaha xddd
While it is a bit disappointing, don't forget how a lot of the maps were remade for events, and the inclusion of the Summer Games Lucioball arena, true, they don't stick around, but we've also gotten beautiful CTF remodels for Nepal, Ilios, and Lijiang Towers during different periods of the day
04/24/2017 07:50 AMPosted by Zorek104

hahahaha xddd
which are available for a month
Don't forget Ecopoint: Antarctica!
The next hero seems to be closer than a new map.
04/24/2017 07:51 AMPosted by JakuNonon
While it is a bit disappointing, don't forget how a lot of the maps were remade for events, and the inclusion of the Summer Games Lucioball arena, true, they don't stick around, but we've also gotten beautiful CTF remodels for Nepal, Ilios, and Lijiang Towers during different periods of the day

I appreciate those but as you said they were mostly temporary and we need more maps for regular QP and COMP.
04/24/2017 07:56 AMPosted by lalato

I appreciate those but as you said they were mostly temporary and we need more maps for regular QP and COMP.
I agree, just felt the need to point those ones out. I personally want a Junkertown map, and I guess as a Assault map, idk...
04/24/2017 07:58 AMPosted by JakuNonon
I agree, just felt the need to point those ones out. I personally want a Junkertown map, and I guess as a Assault map, idk...

Junkertown map sounds really cool actually. I would love that!
Oasis looks stunning but I don't like the map in terms of the map design and how it impacts the overall game play. It feels wonky.
I would love to see a new map really soon.
Maps conceptually are a lot harder and more complex to design then a new hero.
04/24/2017 08:08 AMPosted by Crucifer

These are the excuses I find hard to relate to.
Sure, it's not easy job. I'm not saying it's easy to make a map or a hero.
But Blizzard has world's top engineers and artists working there...they're biggest gaming company in the world. Sure it takes a lot of effort but you're talking as if they're some indie company with fresh off college interns working there.
If it's hard for them, I can't imagine how other companies are pumping out contents more frequently.

I don't believe that to be the case. Maps are far easier to make and balance than a hero.
04/24/2017 08:12 AMPosted by BlazeDeval

I don't believe that to be the case. Maps are far easier to make and balance than a hero.

This is incorrect. They have to balance how far spawns are, sight lines, etc. Maps are also much larger than a hero.

That being said, I still think they release content too slowly
04/24/2017 08:12 AMPosted by lalato

But Blizzard has world's top engineers and artists working there...they're biggest gaming company in the world. Sure it takes a lot of effort but you're talking as if they're some indie company with fresh off college interns working there.
If it's hard for them, I can't imagine how other companies are pumping out contents more frequently.
Well, you have to think of it like this. They need to make the chokes, flank routes, balance out for EVERY hero, and give them all a fair chance to use their abilities to the fullest, make the points, payload, whatever, spawn rooms, make sure the map isn't glitchy or you can fall through it, etc...
Nope. We need more maps. This feels Splatoon tier.

That is very true. However, I honestly rather see more lore about these places. Oaises in particular is wrapped in a mystery. From what I remember hearing, the city is not only one of the most technologically sufficiant cities in the world, it's also a city full of secrets that even the most powerful of conglomerates cannot touch.

Mercy was also last seen working somewhere around the Middle East upon being recalled into active duty by Winston.

Lastly, there's a voice line between Sombra and Reaper that was data mined a while ago that hints at an ominious reunion between Reaper and a "certain somebody."
04/24/2017 07:51 AMPosted by SlimShady
04/24/2017 07:50 AMPosted by Zorek104

hahahaha xddd
which are available for a month

For Tracer and Reinhardt mainly.
Honestly I'd like 3, 4 or even 5 maps per year while I'm ok with 2 or 1 heroes every year
04/24/2017 08:21 AMPosted by JakuNonon
Well, you have to think of it like this. They need to make the chokes, flank routes, balance out for EVERY hero, and give them all a fair chance to use their abilities to the fullest, make the points, payload, whatever, spawn rooms, make sure the map isn't glitchy or you can fall through it, etc...

I'm not denying process is hard. It's not an easy job I agree with that. But with top engineers and artists working there plus all the support and resources they get from the company, they have it easier than others. I know they always strive for quality>quantity, but to be honest if they are this slow on releases they will lose customers. They should strive to release at least 3 new maps a year, but at this rate 2 maps a year is what they're aiming at. And it's disappointing because this game is easily #1 or #2 right now but slow content releases will eventually make this game die.
04/24/2017 08:12 AMPosted by lalato

Making maps goes beyond simply picking a location to make a map out of.

You need to decide what kind of map you want it to be. Payload? Control Point? Hybrid? KotH? (Also consider that in KotH, they are effectively making three completely different map designs for one game mode, as opposed to one very big map.)

Then, how are you going to build the kind of map you want to make with the location that you've decided to pick?

Things like how to create chokepoints, high ground, or flanking routes with the environment that the map takes place in? What kind of environmental hazards can you create with the location you have? Where will spawn points and health packs be located at? And there's surely some consideration taken on how hard maps would be as well for both attackers and defenders, like how Eichenwalde was given a second doorway for attackers on the first point after developers decided that the single bridge choke might be too tough for attackers.

And let's not forget lore. Every map in this game has a story behind it while having lots of eater eggs to boot, with some stories even connecting to the objectives, like what kind of payload you are pushing on maps that have them, to maps that are built after cinematics that feature them.

And this is just the design phase. Let's not get into computer rendering and modelling where stuff like lighting, weather, harmless destructibles, background stuff as simple as birds flying around Eichenwalde to add to the immersion while making the map a believable location (ignoring lack of innocent bystanders that are not in autokill cars), etc. needs to be planned and executed.

All of this while you are also juggling around new heroes (where some people think that they are not getting enough), existing hero cosmetics (in which some heroes are honestly lacking in), events (that perks up the game more), and most importantly, game balance (which people will forever be complaining over).

Yes Blizzard is a big gaming company, but they are working on other games too like WoW, Starcraft and all, so its not like they have their entire company geared to work on Overwatch stuff.