2 Maps a Year enough?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 8 Next
I would love if the Overwatch team is taking their time designing a map editor, that's why maps are few a far between.

This would breath much life into the game. And we can all agree that a map editor would be amaze-balls.
04/24/2017 08:26 AMPosted by Flok1e
Honestly I'd like 3, 4 or even 5 maps per year while I'm ok with 2 or 1 heroes every year

Yeah. Maps can be played by everyone. When a new hero comes, the game is cancer the first few weeks with everyone insta locking on it.
2 maps, new game mode, 3 heroes and 5 events?
Yes, that's enough.
3 maps:
Eichenwalde
Oasis
Ecopoint: Antartica

?????
04/24/2017 08:33 AMPosted by Silver
3 maps:
Eichenwalde
Oasis
Ecopoint: Antartica

?????

Antartica is 3v3 (1v1) map only and it's pretty small, I'm talking about a regular map we can use in QP and COMP/Arcade.
04/24/2017 08:12 AMPosted by lalato
04/24/2017 08:08 AMPosted by Crucifer
Maps conceptually are a lot harder and more complex to design then a new hero.

These are the excuses I find hard to relate to.
Sure, it's not easy job. I'm not saying it's easy to make a map or a hero.
But Blizzard has world's top engineers and artists working there...they're biggest gaming company in the world. Sure it takes a lot of effort but you're talking as if they're some indie company with fresh off college interns working there.
If it's hard for them, I can't imagine how other companies are pumping out contents more frequently.

Top engineers and artists who are their own worst critics and don't like to release content they aren't happy with.
One of the biggest balancing issues with this game is how big of an impact the Y-axis has on gameplay compared to other games. How heroes can deal with vertical terrain greatly impacts balance. Let's look at Pharah, Genji, and Mei.
You have a wall that if you can get over you can flank the enemy team.
Pharah can fly over it, Genji can climb up and jump over, and Mei can throw an Icewall under her feet and hop over.
Now, lets say there's an outcrop at the top of the wall so its a T shape. Now Genji can't wall climb over it, but Pharah and Mei can still get over it. Or lets say they raise it a meter up, but get rid of the outcrop. Now Pharah and Genji can get over it, but it's too tall for Mei to Icewall over.
The decision to decide who can flank where and how is a massive thing to balancing, and unlike heroes, is significantly harder to change post release. If a hero is stupidly weak or busted, you can just choose to not play them. If a map is busted, there's nothing you can do to help your circumstance.
04/24/2017 08:16 AMPosted by ATastyFire
04/24/2017 08:12 AMPosted by BlazeDeval

I don't believe that to be the case. Maps are far easier to make and balance than a hero.

This is incorrect. They have to balance how far spawns are, sight lines, etc. Maps are also much larger than a hero.

That being said, I still think they release content too slowly

I'm not saying maps themselves are easy, but they are easier than a hero.

They would know the rough distance and time for all of these things already, no?

With heroes, they have to make sure they don't break any other existing heroes or maps and be often completely original. Yes, maps are larger than a person, but I don't see how that makes them so much harder.
We currently have 3 maps in development, all past the initial playtesting phase that are "standard" maps (QP/Comp). While something could always change, all 3 of those are looking likely for a release this year.

We also have 3 non-standard maps in development (these won't go in QP/Comp).

We also have a few other experiments going on.

Hopefully this will satisfy some of what you're looking for. We want to play on these maps as badly as you guys do. We'll work as fast as we can!
Highly Rated
04/24/2017 08:48 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
We currently have 3 maps in development, all past the initial playtesting phase that are "standard" maps (QP/Comp). While something could always change, all 3 of those are looking likely for a release this year.

Hopefully this will satisfy some of what you're looking for. We want to play on these maps as badly as you guys do. We'll work as fast as we can!

Neat. Thanks.

It's Jeff! :O
That's awesome to hear, thank you Jeff!
Great to hear, Jeff! I'm really looking forward to it!

Thanks Jeff for your reply, and the Overwatch team for the hard work!

BOI HE GONNA DO IT

Jeff has spoken. Praise the maps.

[/quote]

Meaninggggg arcade maps? Like being able to play 3v3 on more than just Ecopoint: Antarctica ?
When you click a thread before it has a Jeff response, read it and think "this needs a Jeff response," then discover a blue post from Jeff at the end.

Wait, so to clarify...you have SIX maps in development right now?

[/quote] Like a way to remove toxic players and trolls and throwers from matches?
So... We might get 6 more maps by the end of the year? 3 of which I probably won't end up playing if it's 3v3/1v1

Better than nothing..