New PTR 'rez feed': change it to all be in one line

General Discussion
Highly Rated
Image to show suggestion: http://imgur.com/a/Gkrxk

Reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/6a5pke/ptr_rez_feed_suggestion_change_to_all_be_in_one/

I don't think there is much else to say. With two heroes, like in the image, it's not that bad, but you can imagine how if Mercy gets a big rez it might hide who has been killed on other team, or other important info (like what killed them, was an ultimate burned? etc).

The PTR all ready has a new assist kill feed system that looks similar to what I'm suggesting (horizontally placed hero portraits), when I saw the assists firsts, I was hoping that it was the "rez feed" would look like too, rather than like individual kills. The current system honestly just wastes a lot of space. Players really don't care about the names of who is rezzed, we just want to see the heroes. We don't need to see Mercy's icon, her player name, and the rez icon repeated up to 5 times either.

I really like the "rez feed" idea, and in general the kill feed is getting better and better. However, I feel like this is is a simple, no downside, improvement to the implementation. I'd still like to be able to see what kills my own team got after we've been resurrected.

Edit: Jeff Responded

05/09/2017 08:44 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
We debated doing it this way originally but opted for the direction we chose for a few reasons. If a player gets a big multi-kill, it blows out the feed -- allowing you to know that something big just happened immediately without even looking at the details (think of a Reaper getting a team wipe with a Death Blossom). We wanted the same feel to a Mercy res. We felt like it should be that impactful. While the kill feed is highly informational, we also want it to be an intuitive gauge for players without having to overly study every detail. We want your eyes on the playfield... not the UI.

With that said, we're open minded when it comes to change on the kill feed. I think we'll all be better informed when players play with it for a while in the live game.

1. Some other people have responded with the idea of making it an option, which I think is a great idea.

2. While I understand where Jeff is coming from, we've gone a year with no rez in the kill feed at all, and I think they still feel impactful for people. I don't think it's necessary to make big rezzes more 'flashy' at the expense of cluttering useful information. The fact they show up at all will still be an improvement. I realize I'm a competitive minded player though, so I'm biased and spend way more time looking at the kill feed than many players.
This is a great idea, Getting a 5 man rez basically takes over the killfeed on the PTR right now and this would really help clean it up.
Maybe make the hero icon as small as the assist one to avoid one giant rez pointing out of killfeed?
Yeah that'd be nice, seeing the killfeed is important for both teams to know how to act.
Great Idea... I most say keep up the Good Work.
This would be fine. Perhaps giving the rez slightly more time more "linger" in the kill feed would be appropriate, too, if it's just one bar.
I approve this message.
05/09/2017 07:31 AMPosted by Damplel
Maybe make the hero icon as small as the assist one to avoid one giant rez pointing out of killfeed?

This is a good idea to keep big rezzes from being awkwardly wide.
Hey guys, I know there is not a lot to discuss but comment with a +1 so the developers see this thread up top.

I'm pretty confident if they see it, they'll change it.
That's a great idea :)
Great idea!
+1
Yep this would be great hope they add it.
We debated doing it this way originally but opted for the direction we chose for a few reasons. If a player gets a big multi-kill, it blows out the feed -- allowing you to know that something big just happened immediately without even looking at the details (think of a Reaper getting a team wipe with a Death Blossom). We wanted the same feel to a Mercy res. We felt like it should be that impactful. While the kill feed is highly informational, we also want it to be an intuitive gauge for players without having to overly study every detail. We want your eyes on the playfield... not the UI.

With that said, we're open minded when it comes to change on the kill feed. I think we'll all be better informed when players play with it for a while in the live game.
Highly Rated

maybe, just maybe... give the option in settings to choose if one player wants single display of rezzes or all at once?

heil jeff

Papa Jeff!!

I'll start by saying I don't really care one way or the other but as a compromise, what about giving the players an option in the settings to use whichever method they prefer (for both rez and big multikills like your Reaper example) that way everyone is happy? Is that doable?

can I ask out of frustration why you chose to mention this change that is very insignificant yet not address any of the changes made to 3v3 or ecopoint.
We wanted the same feel to a Mercy res. We felt like it should be that impactful. While the kill feed is highly informational, we also want it to be an intuitive gauge for players without having to overly study every detail. We want your eyes on the playfield... not the UI.
It makes sense, usually in the heat of battle I wouldn't really look at the kill feed if it's slowly moving 1-by-1. But if it suddenly shifts a ton, ie a teamwipe, it would definitely catch my attention.

I do feel that the Res killfeed should be treated like the same with normal kills, and show 1-by-1 who gets resurrected. Because sometimes you might have to look closer at the feed to see who gets revived if the icons are too cluttered together in one line.

a little off topic here, but since we're discussing Mercy rezzes, I think it would be a great QoL change to have little hero icons appear to show you who you're about to rez... would save awkwardly rezzing the Widowmaker when I meant to rez the Reinhardt