New Idea: Gun-Game Mode

General Discussion
Highly Rated
Hey guys :),
What do you think about a Gun-Game Mode for Overwatch? You become every kill a new hero, its free for all, and when you have a kill with every champ, you won.
Do you guys think thats a good idea??
We're big fans of gun game. We'd love to try something like this at some point.
Is it like Arms Race? Like getting a kill gets you the next Hero and dying sets you back to the previous one?

But how would this work for Supports?
The Blues are out in full-force today.
05/09/2017 08:54 AMPosted by Kyaw
Is it like Arms Race? Like getting a kill gets you the next Hero and dying sets you back to the previous one?

But how would this work for Supports?

Mercy would be the last hero you need to kill with I think.
It'd probably require a special map to be made, like a coliseum type arena where there are 12 spawn rooms arranged in a circle (or other symmetrical pattern so that no one player has a spawn advantage or disadvantage) around the center battleground and the battleground itself designed in such a way as to organically funnel everyone toward the center to prompt big FFA brawls.

Another question, currently you get kill credit as long as you damaged the dead hero recently even if you didn't get the killing blow (or if playing a support you supported someone who did damage the dead hero). Will only killing blows count or would one hero die and suddenly 3 people all got kill credit because they all managed to damage the recently killed hero and get credit for the kill?
Could be fun, but then again id rather all brawls come back :'(
05/09/2017 09:01 AMPosted by daniel3k
Could be fun, but then again id rather all brawls come back :'(

Why not both? I feel like the arcade is only hitting the minimum of what it COULD be.
I want a spin on mystery heroes. Everyone starts with a D.va mech and when destroyed a random hero is ejected
05/09/2017 09:09 AMPosted by Ambulance
I want a spin on mystery heroes. Everyone starts with a D.va mech and when destroyed a random hero is ejected

Hah! That'd be funny.

"How the hell did you fit in there, Roadhog?"

"Like a canned ham."
Behold the 6 million videos incoming about that quote.
05/09/2017 09:01 AMPosted by Grumpy
It'd probably require a special map to be made, like a coliseum type arena where there are 12 spawn rooms arranged in a circle (or other symmetrical pattern so that no one player has a spawn advantage or disadvantage) around the center battleground and the battleground itself designed in such a way as to organically funnel everyone toward the center to prompt big FFA brawls.

Another question, currently you get kill credit as long as you damaged the dead hero recently even if you didn't get the killing blow (or if playing a support you supported someone who did damage the dead hero). Will only killing blows count or would one hero die and suddenly 3 people all got kill credit because they all managed to damage the recently killed hero and get credit for the kill?

I imagine it would have to be a balance between who actually GOT the kill, and potentially who did the most DAMAGE to them. Otherwise people would just sit on the edges and snipe people in the center. Or the more explosive/automatic style heroes (Mei, Junkrat, Soldier, heck, even Reaper I suppose with his shotguns.) could just sit on the edge of the arena and fire into the center of fights and pick off one or two people easily.

At the same time, it would also indeed require a specific map, or several maps. I think it'd be kinda fun to have a big open Colosseum style map, with only a few walls to create barricades and break lines of sight. Or there could be a "maze" kind of style map that is very close quarters, with lots of corners and places to hide. That way it'd vary up the game mode and playstyles required to be able to progress.
Wouldn't this basically be like 1v1, except you have to go through every single hero to get to the end?

... actually that does sound fun.
05/09/2017 09:16 AMPosted by GuyCalledDee
Behold the 6 million videos incoming about that quote.
Stylosa
Overwatch isn't really made like COD, the game is objective based and it would just render some of the hero pool useless if it's just kills.
05/09/2017 09:29 AMPosted by RazorBz
Overwatch isn't really made like COD, the game is objective based and it would just render some of the hero pool useless if it's just kills.
Mercy's pistol does a surprising amount of damage though.
I made a custom game like this with some friends, using the honor rule. It was a blast. If you have some friends that you know will follow the rules, you should try it.
05/09/2017 08:52 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan

Gun game is great fun! This would be awesome :) it might actually be possible to do a free for all version too, because hero imbalance isn't an issue and actually having teams would be strange.

Unless...

What if it's a 4 v 4 mode? Each person picks a role (offense, support, defence, tank). You have to get a kill with each hero in your role, your team wins if you all get your kills before the other team does.

That would still leave it feeling like Overwatch with a flavor of gun game, and would allow for healing, tanking, ultimates etc.
05/09/2017 09:29 AMPosted by RazorBz

If they made it free for all that wouldn't be a problem, or see my post above for a way that a team mode might work.
05/09/2017 08:52 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
End of Thread