Idk Why I Never Played McCree

General Discussion
So I was doing Mystery Heroes for my Arcade loot boxes and I kept getting McCree. Like... a lot. But I noticed I was actually doing well with him.

So I figured what the heck, we'll try him out in quickplay. Cuz I do well with Junkrat in Mystery Heroes but can do absolutely nothing in a real match.

With McCree though, it carried over. I wasn't carrying or blowing the doors off or anything but over 5 quickplay matches, I had 44-62 percent accuracy (the 62 one was vs a Rein+Orisa so that makes sense), I had between 7 & 9 k damage, 15-25 elims.

Like overall I did pretty comparably to how I'd do as Soldier with maybe 1 or 2k less damage.

McCree is infinitely better at killing Pharah though. I've seen people say that here but I was surprised. If you get a headshot in, you 2 shot her. And she's easy to hit.

His ult I couldn't ever get more than a solo kill with though except vs Pharmercy when they didn't see me. And I really wish combat roll was better. Like honestly I think unlimited sprint is what makes Soldier so good in comparison. I just felt so often like going anywhere was suicide cuz I'd have no escape.

Perhaps that's just the playstyle and I'll feel differently later but as a noob McCree, I wish rolleither had a shorter CD.. . Like half That, it had multiple charges, or it just simply rolled you farther than it does. The latter might be a tough adjust for McCree mains though.

Anyways, just wanted to share my experience. I played like utter trash when I picked up McCree early on but I seem to be better at him now than I was so if u got a character you've kind of avoided, try em out again! U might be better.
Keep at it. He's my favorite character.
I'll always say it, using his ult is frustrating as hell. It's more a of a gamble than an ult.
04/18/2017 11:09 PMPosted by Zecral
I'll always say it, using his ult is frustrating as hell. It's more a of a gamble than an ult.

Yeah it feels pretty lacklustre overall. I'm sure there's some nice combos like with a Rein or Zarya ult but other ults do that too. As is, it feels more like a suicide button than anything that's gonna help swing a fight. Most of the time anyways.
Is it just me or is McCree one of those heroes, kinda like Hanzo, where when other people use them they seem to hit every shot and a LOT of headshots, but when you use them you cant hit the side of a barn? Id love to be able to play as Mr12o'clock but I cant hit anything :/
I really love him and I do pretty good one him (comparatively, I am a silver league player so I am not "good" on the grand scale) but unfortunately I really fail at his main job, killing Pharah. In every FPS I play I have a hard time hitting flying players, they move really erratically.

Just got out of a competitive placement match where I started off as McCree and the enemy team had a Pharah. Managed to kill her once but after the second time I started to get called every word in the book by my team mates.
He is pretty fun to play. Hero is high skill cap. He is picked a lot in my bracket. People don't really see him as weak as people on the forums do. I think it would be cool if they made some changes to his ult. A few options could be (and not all together):

1) slight movement speed adjustment during ult
2) don't make him glow like a beacon to true north during ult (reduce his visibility)
3) allow him to cancel his ult and still have some charge, does not necessarily have to be 50% like previously (I might be remembering this wrong, I barely played OW back then)

He's one of those heroes that gets overpowered really quickly but some QOL changes could help him.
If you consistently land headshots, McCree is better than soldier in a straight up shootout. The thing is, this is the only thing McCree is good at. Soldier is good in every situation, easier to use, and contributes to the team way more.
Main issue of McCree is that he is a weakling at close range, despite having a generous 0.7s long disable. Many characters can push him and kill him if he is very slightly out of position.

Even pros who like McCree for his good headshot damage avoid playing him, because the hero is a free kill in many situations.
04/18/2017 11:41 PMPosted by Hexen
If you consistently land headshots, McCree is better than soldier in a straight up shootout

I mean by that logic Widow is the best hero in the game...

Yet she (and McCree) are considered garbage tier even at pro/esports levels :P

04/18/2017 11:43 PMPosted by Piltmannen
Even pros who like McCree for his good headshot damage avoid playing him, because the hero is a free kill in many situations.

Yep. McCree only functions as long as nobody actually looks at him.

He is the squishiest hero in the game by a noticeable degree. Big head/body hitbox, 200hp, no heal, no defensives, no escapes, no mobility, etc. Literally the definition of a free kill.