The ''If Roadhog doesn't one-shot, he will suck'' People

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 9 Next
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Stop.

Any reasons, tips, counter arguements?......

Nah just downvote because that is what the rest of the mob is doing. I don't like it either side is doing it and it is the reason why no one will truly be satisfied.

I could easily provide those things, but I don't have to considering that statement was a blatant lie.
It blows my mind that anyone could be okay with Genji, Pharah, Bastion and Mei existing how they currently are, yet soil themselves from Roadhog.
04/30/2017 02:18 PMPosted by Taikichi
We have a sniper with wall hacks, a COD player with aimbot, a walking microwave, a hero who gets play of the game from his turrent while using the sit emote, a gatling gun that can heal itself, a hero who wins every close range 1v1 by freezing them

And you're worried about the only tank that can't shield his allies.

I personally think he's a unique breed of tank. He uses his killing power as a shield because almost every hero deals more damage by being closer. Every hero deals with fall off damage and if roadhog is forcing the enemies to stay in fall off range to prevent the hook then he is technically reducing all received damage like a reinhardt shield just by being there.

The right click one shots aren't really different to a scatter arrow. Most of them amount to nothing, but it is pretty annoying to randomly die from it.

Roadhog isn't perfect, that's true, but he definitely is not single-handedly ruining the game.
long story short, he is a tank because he zones his enemies out by having a high risk kill zone.
The thing I've noticed about Hog is he has a very low skill floor but also a high skill ceiling.

He's "powerful" as you say because he can punish people within his deathzone, but I always like to remind people about some of the numbers we're dealing with:

Depending on what heroes the enemy is playing, my average hook accuracy in comp is between 50-60%, closer to 50 if they're playing Tracer/Genji/Zarya etc. which is very common in this meta.

Of the hooks that land, the kill is secured probably only about 75% of the time. You might think it would be a lot higher but between the flurry of stun abilities that get thrown around, Zarya shielding, Genji reflect and the occasional jank-hook physics you're looking at a lot of missed killshots.

So realistically, on average every 8 seconds a good Hog is only able to delete someone maybe half of the time, and that's not taking into account that you're not throwing a hook out every time it's off CD.

And lastly (probably the most important), you're still very much understating how essential the hook is to his kit. The overwhelming majority of picks made by Hog are still hook kills. Heroes like McCree as you mentioned are getting non-flashbang kills much more frequently than Hog lands non-hook kills.

People mostly just have a problem with RH because he's one of the most frustrating heroes to get killed by. Any non-ult ability that insta-kills you (hook, scattershot, enviro kills) is going to feel frustrating. You could argue whether it's bad game design to incorporate a hero who's kit revolves around their one-shot ability, but he's in his most balanced state right now except for a couple minor bugs.
04/30/2017 03:47 PMPosted by Reno

What on earth are you talking about Blitz has burst damage and with the right items and rune set up he kills people in a knock up ult combo what is with these bads talking about mobas?
Okay, I guess I should ammend my previous statement.

Blitzcrank can't kill !@#$ unless you're building like an idiot. If you are building like an idiot, he might be able to kill %^-* that's behind and building glass cannon, but if you do so he dies in half a second.
There are no hitboxes in HotS, and there's no environmental cover, I think. I don't play much HotS.
Well for starters you can make his hook work like a trap and not a stun, this means roadhog has to be careful on who he hooks instead of just throwing his hook into a group of enemies. You can reduce his hook range from 20m to 15m (15 meters is the radius of control and 2cp maps point). Lastly you can either increase the spread of the shotgun when right clicking or increase projectile travel speed.

idk, the only I really want is the trap-like hook, so that at least I can pick Reaper and finally be the tank buster.
04/30/2017 04:40 PMPosted by Powsen
The thing I've noticed about Hog is he has a very low skill floor but also a high skill ceiling.

He's "powerful" as you say because he can punish people within his deathzone, but I always like to remind people about some of the numbers we're dealing with:

Depending on what heroes the enemy is playing, my average hook accuracy in comp is between 50-60%, closer to 50 if they're playing Tracer/Genji/Zarya etc. which is very common in this meta.

Of the hooks that land, the kill is secured probably only about 75% of the time. You might think it would be a lot higher but between the flurry of stun abilities that get thrown around, Zarya shielding, Genji reflect and the occasional jank-hook physics you're looking at a lot of missed killshots.

So realistically, on average every 8 seconds a good Hog is only able to delete someone maybe half of the time, and that's not taking into account that you're not throwing a hook out every time it's off CD.

And lastly (probably the most important), you're still very much understating how essential the hook is to his kit. The overwhelming majority of picks made by Hog are still hook kills. Heroes like McCree as you mentioned are getting non-flashbang kills much more frequently than Hog lands non-hook kills.

People mostly just have a problem with RH because he's one of the most frustrating heroes to get killed by. Any non-ult ability that insta-kills you (hook, scattershot, enviro kills) is going to feel frustrating. You could argue whether it's bad game design to incorporate a hero who's kit revolves around their one-shot ability, but he's in his most balanced state right now except for a couple minor bugs.

A sensible post in defense of Roadhog, for once.

But still, there's just no way to actually make him sound fair, balanced, or normal. Your numbers with actual kills per hook doesn't matter because in comp, where people are going to be paying closer attention to things and as a team, hooking someone in will still seal their fate anyway. Can't really use Zarya bubbles as a big detractor from the overall percentage when you and your team can instantly rip through that bubble and kill the target anyway.

It's not just the damage and one-shot potential that makes hook so good, it's he huge displacement is causes as well.

And I don't know what rank you play at, but in high Platinum and up, Roadhog players get plenty of kills without Hook, trust me. It's honestly not that hard. Roadhogs up here delete people with right click commonly, it happens all the time. He can also 2-shot tanks with left click and 1 shot with it without hook.

Again, maybe you're in Gold or below so it's not as scary, but at higher ranks a Roadhog having his hook down still doesn't give you much of a confidence boost to fight him.
i can't believe people hate roadhog this much. i stopped raging over the hook around 400 levels ago, when his hook was STILL broken. hook 2.0 feels good to me!

but whatever happens i hope the game becomes more balanced and fun for everyone over the many changes it will likely undergo
sadly you will never convince people of this because phara and rat do the same you mention they need nerfs or tweeks people want to burn you as a witch
04/30/2017 04:27 PMPosted by BT160919
If Widow didn't one shot, she would be bad

Does that make her design flawed?

If Tracer couldn't blink, her design would be bad

You see how dumb your argument is?
Neither of those characters have overall kits as oppressive as hog's

He's an objectively better mid range sniper than hanzo
Disregard OP, he sucks cocks.
04/30/2017 04:45 PMPosted by Diem
Blitzcrank can't kill !@#$ unless you're building like an idiot. If you are building like an idiot, he might be able to kill %^-* that's behind and building glass cannon, but if you do so he dies in half a second.

So you build zero damage as blitz? Why on earth would you do that? Pick any other support then and you would be much better off. I suppose because hook is super good in a game that has tons of ways to dodge it......
Only people who main hog seem to not see the !@#$ing problem about this BS hero.. maybe if there was hard counter to him but there is not FFS.. how could there be if this %^-* can 1shot almost everyone? reaper? Ha what a !@#$ing joke..

Bait the hook? how about gambling stays in these %^-*ing loot boxes only?
04/30/2017 05:08 PMPosted by SneakySquid
04/30/2017 04:27 PMPosted by BT160919
If Widow didn't one shot, she would be bad

Does that make her design flawed?

If Tracer couldn't blink, her design would be bad

You see how dumb your argument is?
Neither of those characters have overall kits as oppressive as hog's

His kit isn't oppressive. That's just whining. I've never had a game where it was entirely ruined by one character, let alone Roadhog.

Also, maybe that's because Hanzo is considered a bad character and underpowered in many ways? You're trying to compare a balanced hero to one who people rage at when picked.
04/30/2017 05:14 PMPosted by MrMango
Only people who main hog seem to not see the !@#$ing problem about this BS hero.. maybe if there was hard counter to him but there is not FFS.. how could there be if this %^-* can 1shot almost everyone? reaper? Ha what a !@#$ing joke..

Bait the hook? how about gambling stays in these %^-*ing loot boxes only?
Have you tried Zenyatta? He basically makes Hogs life utter hell.
04/30/2017 05:15 PMPosted by BT160919
04/30/2017 05:08 PMPosted by SneakySquid
...Neither of those characters have overall kits as oppressive as hog's

His kit isn't oppressive. That's just whining. I've never had a game where it was entirely ruined by one character, let alone Roadhog.

Also, maybe that's because Hanzo is considered a bad character and underpowered in many ways? You're trying to compare a balanced hero to one who people rage at when picked.
Can heal 300 of his 600 hp, highest hp in the game

Hook with a decently large radius to grab you with

Can one shot you at two different ranges, three with hook

Widow can snipe you, dies if you get close

Tracer is annoying but dies quickly

Hog is a raid boss basically
I find it interesting that there is a "Roadhog is OP" thread in GD almost every day. Why don't you guys make one of your threads in the Competitive Discussion forum?
Don't call hog a tank. He's an excellent DPS with twice as much health as he should have.
04/30/2017 05:17 PMPosted by SneakySquid
04/30/2017 05:15 PMPosted by BT160919
...His kit isn't oppressive. That's just whining. I've never had a game where it was entirely ruined by one character, let alone Roadhog.

Can heal 300 of his 600 hp, highest hp in the game

Hook with a decently large radius to grab you with

Can one shot you at two different ranges, three with hook

Widow can snipe you, dies if you get close

Tracer is annoying but dies quickly

Hog is a raid boss basically
And that HP is absurdly easy to tear through. He mad no armor and no shields, unlike the other tanks and he ain't exactly hard to crit.

And hook isn't that hard to counter. High ground is its enemy because it's easy for the hook to break there. Any shields will block it and boops can save people from hooks. There are many ways to counter it.

And outside of hook, those one shots aren't entirely easy to pull off.

If a Widow is close to a Hog for some reason, that's her fault.

Tracer can just dodge everything Hog throws at her and can just recall any chip damage.

And let's not forgot Orisa, Zen, Ana, Hanzo, and Sombra for counters.