Broken placements for long time players

Competitive Discussion
03/02/2017 06:26 PMPosted by Scott Mercer
To clarify one thing, your initial MMR that we use to match you in placements isn't simply based on the final result of the previous season. How you played in seasons before the prior one also factor into the calculations. Of course, how well you do in your placement matches also matters.

As someone who's been playing since season one, this affects me negatively during placements. I did my placements games at level 25 back in summer 2016, and ended up being ranked 43. Then I placed gold in season 2 and worked my way up to platinum. I barely played in season 3 and never got to plat in season 3 because I was placed in gold again. (Despite getting 8 wins and 2 losses and facing diamonds and masters in my placements). Then, in season 4 I won 9/10 placements and placed gold again. I have since solo queued my way up to 3461 (almost master). I don't want to do my placements again and end up in gold/platinum next season, I want to be placed near my actual MMR. Starting off with such a low initial rank is really disheartening, especially since you guys nerfed win streaks into oblivion. You need to look at this before launching season 5, for the long term players.
04/18/2017 04:10 AMPosted by Spooky
03/02/2017 06:26 PMPosted by Scott Mercer
To clarify one thing, your initial MMR that we use to match you in placements isn't simply based on the final result of the previous season. How you played in seasons before the prior one also factor into the calculations. Of course, how well you do in your placement matches also matters.

As someone who's been playing since season one, this affects me negatively during placements. I did my placements games at level 25 back in summer 2016, and ended up being ranked 43. Then I placed gold in season 2 and worked my way up to platinum. I barely played in season 3 and never got to plat in season 3 because I was placed in gold again. (Despite getting 8 wins and 2 losses and facing diamonds and masters in my placements). Then, in season 4 I won 9/10 placements and placed gold again. I have since solo queued my way up to 3461 (almost master). I don't want to do my placements again and end up in gold/platinum next season, I want to be placed near my actual MMR. Starting off with such a low initial rank is really disheartening, especially since you guys nerfed win streaks into oblivion. You need to look at this before launching season 5, for the long term players.

Yeah, it's terrible and really a slap in the face to people that were here from launch and played in comp seasons when lots of people didn't know WTF was going on and learning the game. This is why there's so many smurfs people think, which is users making new accounts to get a more accurate placement of their current skill. Which is why seasons need to reset your stats completely and maybe make seasons longer to adjust to this.
Its weird how the game threw me 500 SR lower than I was at the end of season 3 even though I won more matches than I lost. I don't like how the placements work currently. I don't want to have to climb back even with the boost.
There is no more boost.
My tears have dried up on S2 when I regrettably chosen to play over 70hours of Bastion pre-competitive era. Ahahahahaha.