Is Reaper garbage and if so how can he be fixed?

Competitive Discussion
I'm not very good at this game but one thing that I can tell u is that reaper is amazing.
04/20/2017 09:59 PMPosted by gotmilk
I'm not very good at this game but one thing that I can tell u is that reaper is amazing.

Sadly no, Roadhog is better than him. Period. Second period.
Imo the best things for Reaper are a less noticeable and/or shorter teleport, faster wraith form, and MAYBE a passive that ignores barriers and/or armor.
well reaper can still make the best winstons switch off so he's got that going for him. Unfortunately he falls into one of those categories like McCree/Sombra, "why bother when X hero does the same thing better". I'd say he's a good off-meta pick if you can pull off some nice ults. His is one of the few instant death ults and tend to wipe out at least 2+ people without any possibility for them to react, good for ambushing healers lurking in the weeds during a final push, and of course amazing like hanzo if you can get a combo ult with a zarya, but thats about it.

His ability to escape any time he wants after performing a hit n run also makes him good for general harassment like a tracer.
04/20/2017 09:52 PMPosted by ELOHEAVEN
^

Just one buff, make wraith form CANCEL-able. Same CD. Starts at end of wraith form whether cancelled or not.

Scenario: Roadhog planning to make someone out of position, sees Reaper, goes for the hook. Reaper being pro, goes wraith form... and just floats there while Hog runs to his teammates.

Scenario2 with buff: Roadhog hooks.... Reaper having 150ms reaction time dodges with wraith form, goes to maximal range, cancels wraith form and tears Roadhog before he can cry back to his teammates.

Same with Mcree w/ use of flashbang
Same with Ana with sleeping dart
Same with entering chokes
Same with pulse bomb
etc
Nah

S76 is currently just better, putting reaps in the same spot as McCree. I don't think he needs changes.

Also Roadhog =/= Reaper, they actually play quite differently outside of QP/PuGs
04/20/2017 10:01 PMPosted by Matthouse70

I think the main disadvantage of reaper is that there are barely any maps that make his range favourable. Most of the objectives are surrounded by wide areas, where a pharah can approach much easier and have more impact. If there would be more constricted spaces around objectives, Reaper would be much better. Ilios for example has a map where Reaper is devastating(lighthouse) and on another map he is utterly useless(ruins).

Even if Roadhog does the same job in most matches, he has much better range, especially with the hook.
Wouldn't it simply be a case of improving his disengage so he can escape after killing his victim like the other flankers, his damage is fine his teleport is also fine just don't use it in the enemy's los.
04/20/2017 10:01 PMPosted by Matthouse70

I don't think this is really a good reason on its own to consider Reaper bad. The intented roles for these two heroes are not close-enough the same for a comparison to be drawn like this.

04/20/2017 10:03 PMPosted by Matthouse70
Imo the best things for Reaper are a less noticeable and/or shorter teleport, faster wraith form, and MAYBE a passive that ignores barriers and/or armor.

Out of those, I'd take a slightly faster teleport and faster wraith form. Right now he's kinda instantly dead if he teleports in or into an enemy line of sight, making it kinda useless except to reach hard-to-get-to places in preparation for his ulti. And the wraith form is often not enough to actually get away from enemies, they'll just peek after you and kill you anyway.

Ignoring barriers would possibly be a good bit too strong.

04/20/2017 11:39 PMPosted by Ennui
Just one buff, make wraith form CANCEL-able. Same CD. Starts at end of wraith form whether cancelled or not.

This is a great suggestion!
04/21/2017 02:37 AMPosted by Sallian
Wouldn't it simply be a case of improving his disengage so he can escape after killing his victim like the other flankers, his damage is fine his teleport is also fine just don't use it in the enemy's los.

Another suggestion with the teleport as a buff, let Reaper be able to start the teleport animation while jumping.
It's like Bastions shift that he could use while falling down Or Mcree's Deadeye while falling down.

This way, reaper would feel smoother to play with and has at least a LITTLE BIT OF CHANCE of running away by jumping off a ledge but teleporting away instead.
Reaper still has to do the full animation like he is doing right now, but he can start the animation at the start of his jump. Still easy to kill him when he's in front of you and he'll likely still fall to his death before he finishes the whole teleport animation but it adds a bit of evasion or chance, even miniscule, that he could escape.
quick teleport? Its super slow . If you could use a teleport mid team fight , that would be interesting.
Also temporary invisibility after teleport
04/21/2017 05:53 AMPosted by Osian
Also temporary invisibility after teleport

I don't think he needs this - I think he needs a 1s invulnerability after solidifying from teleport. As is, I feel like he gets headshot before he can even take 1 step, as if the invulnerability of the actual teleport wears off before he can actually move.
Reaper is trash because people are either playing Pharah (because she seems to be the dominating DPS right now in comp) or Soldier to counter the Pharah (and a lot of times both for both reasons). There just isn't a place for him right now because even though he can bust tanks, the Pharah in the sky is more dangerous and Soldier is just a better all around character.
reaper wraith form should be cancel-able and slightly increase movement speed.

cooldown will be the same as it is now, but instead of the cooldown starting after wraith form, just add however long wraithforms max time is to it and the cooldown starts as soon as its used.
How about a teleport that doesn't scream REPOSITIONING when using it. Just makes it way too easy to counter when you know what's coming and where it's coming from.