Is the Razer Overwatch BlackWidow Chroma keyboard good?

General Discussion
1 2 3 6 Next
I just bought this keyboard and i was wondering if it was good for the $200 price tag.
I have the blackwidow ultimate, and i love it

Only regret is you can't change the colors on the ultimate, but i believe you can on the chroma

Either way, love the thing. Loud as !@#$ in my case due to the switches, but i enjoy that.

My roommates however....hahaha
I can't say whether it's good or not, but I was really tempted to buy it (especially considering I already have the OW edition Deathadder Chroma and the OW Tournament edition of the Manowar). It looks pretty amazing. I will probably buy it at some point. lol.
I have one op and I love it. That said if your PC is in your room then you may want to consider returning it and getting the black widow ultimate which is cheaper (it lacks the lights) as the keyboard is too bright at night and after a month of turning it on and off you'll probably get lazy like I did and just leave them off. Like I said at the start though I do love the keyboard though.
I have the tournament edition (non overwatch branded), love it. I got the green clicky keys but wish i go the silent orange ones
Just make sure to save your receipts in the event you have a problem with the keyboard. Razer's CS can be troublesome to deal with, particularly around acknowledged design flaws.
I'd recommend against it. While there is anecdotal evidence on both sides, Razer does not typically have a good record with build quality. I had an old keyboard of theirs, before mechanicals became big, and not only did the multimedia keys not work out of the box but the keycaps wore down really fast. Similarly, a headset I had from them lasted less than a month. A friend of mine even bought the Overwatch headset and that seemed to last like a week.

It's not an isolated incident, there are lot of stories like this with Razer products, increasingly more as time goes on and they try to drive down cost price.

If you want a quality product, go with Logitech or Corsair, or any number of other gaming peripheral companies, but Razer is a name with a poor reputation for products that last a long time and have a steep price tag.
I have the Chroma and it's worth every penny. I got that and the Razer Taipan mouse in a special offer a few months back for 200 USD.

I recommend both highly.
Ok, well obviously I am super biased but I've been using the keyboard since the first prototype and I think it's awesome. The whole reason we partnered with Razer was because many of us on the team used Death Adder for our mouse and Black Widow for our keyboards.

After using the prototype for months, I bought two when Razer released the retail product and have been using it since the first day they were available. It's held up really well.

The only issue was with the one that I used at home. The clicking noise (which I love) was too loud for my wife so I reverted back to my old, quieter keyboard at home. But at work I am still using the OW Black Widow. Ironically, at work I sit in a room with 11 other people and no one complains about the noise -- but that's probably because most of them are using the same keyboard (and because no one can here it over Aaron's yelling when he gets excited in OW matches).
04/26/2017 08:59 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
Ok, well obviously I am super biased but I've been using the keyboard since the first prototype and I think it's awesome. The whole reason we partnered with Razer was because many of us on the team used Death Adder for our mouse and Black Widow for our keyboards.

After using the prototype for months, I bought two when Razer released the retail product and have been using it since the first day they were available. It's held up really well.

The only issue was with the one that I used at home. The clicking noise (which I love) was too loud for my wife so I reverted back to my old, quieter keyboard at home. But at work I am still using the OW Black Widow. Ironically, at work I sit in a room with 11 other people and no one complains about the noise -- but that's probably because most of them are using the same keyboard (and because no one can here it over Aaron's yelling when he gets excited in OW matches).

I think you can swap the switches out on the one you have at home for quieter keys, Jeff.

I have a similar issue with my roommates. They tolerate it, but i've considered swapping to quieter switches.

That way you get the feel you want and your wife gets the volume she wants :)

I just imagine that the whole room with 11 people using the same keyboard would be basically and echo room of mechanical keyboards. The clicking must be so loud.
(and because no one can here it over Aaron's yelling when he gets excited in OW matches).

Nothing more magical than a loud overwatch match.
04/26/2017 09:03 AMPosted by Judic

I just imagine that the whole room with 11 people using the same keyboard would be basically and echo room of mechanical keyboards. The clicking must be so loud.

It probably sounds like an insect hive.

And I just gave myself flashbacks to questing through Silithus in WoW.
Ironically, at work I sit in a room with 11 other people and no one complains about the noise -- but that's probably because most of them are using the same keyboard (and because no one can here it over Aaron's yelling when he gets excited in OW matches).

Ironically at work playing OW?

I WANT TO WORK THERE TOO! Lol
I don't know about the OW version but I have the Blackwidow Chroma X and it also changes light colors when I change heroes.
So Jeff's office sounds like that "newsroom" on the radio whenever they cover news.
I'm using it and loving it. But as already mentioned, it's pretty loud, so if you have roommates or generally live in a place where people don't really understand the perks of mechanical keyboards, you should probably opt for a quieter version.
I like Cherry MX switches, but that's just me. They been around since the beginning of time. Not sure about the switches in the BW. Anything is good as long as it's mechanical haha.

Damn. Jeff inside personal opinion on a specific KB. Nice. I use G900 + Orbweaver but now curious How good this item is. Btw Im on PS4 & found Top 500 controller players = same as XIM4. Interesting. https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20754446558#post-14
The whole reason we partnered with Razer was because many of us on the team used Death Adder for our mouse and Black Widow for our keyboards.
So what I'm taking away from this is...Widowmaker was made with Black Widow.