An idea for Mercy's E ability

General Discussion
I understand that there are many posts regarding this topic. So many, in fact, that I am not going to take the time to go through all several thousand or so. I apologize in advance if this is a reposted idea, but I want to believe I am the first to at least write about it. Regardless, I will at least have brought the idea more attention and have shared my view and argument on it. Anything to bring this idea to the game.

Give Mercy the Leap of Faith ability. Those of you who play World of Warcraft will know what I am talking about. (The Priest ability) If you do not know what that is, basically imagine Roadhog's hook, but for teammates instead.
Before I expand on the idea...

First, a little about myself to establish at least some level of credibility.
A lot of people complain that Mercy is overpowered as she is. I think just as many disagree. I am a Mercy main and have been for some time now. I know her ins and outs. I have a proficient understanding of how she is played. According to the career profile, as of right now I have 56 of 93 hours played. (Not counting the undocumented Arcade games that I play almost as much as Quick Play)

I understand that one should branch out a little more instead of just playing a single class or even a single character. I will not argue that perhaps I should be a little more well-rounded to present a better argument from all of Overwatch's Roles' points of view. I am also just a meager Silver Rank in Competitive play. But as a Mercy main, I believe myself to be credible in her functionality. I hope that you will be one of those who does not think that Mercy is yet overpowered. I hope that my suggestion for what I think is a wonderful and fair ability for her E slot would be.

The topic of discussion

While playing with a friend last night (Quick Play) on the map... Nepal I believe it was, we were struggling to hold the point. I know how you Boopers like to pick characters who boop on that map so that you can knock unfortunate souls off the edge just to cope with the fact that you do not have one yourself. (:P) I can respect that. I appreciate that fact that it is a game and a simulation of combat. All bets are off. Any play style, any method of completing your objective is fair game; quite honestly, using resources such as the environment shows something about your character. I am talking about who you are. Your ability to adapt. Your situational awareness and ability to use what has been given to you to complete the objective. So I can respect the ability to boop people off the edge. It is fair.

I know what you might be thinking. "Easy for you to say! You are a Mercy main! All you have to do is look at a teammate and hit shift and you will come right back up." Yeah, okay. That is true. But in those 50+ hours I have played, I think that has worked out for me maybe.. 5 times? I have yet to use voice chat so that could have something to do with it. I could call out for someone to come to the edge. But even then, I imagine a lot of the time it already too late. Everyone is already busy doing their part. Mercy is supposed to look after you, not you look after Mercy. :D (But seriously, look after your Mercy.)

But back to what I was saying. My friend and I were on Nepal and as Mercy I pretty much see everything that is going on and try to react to it appropriately. (I hope that other Mercy mains out there can vouch for having that same feeling of awareness?) My friend was trying to play Reinhardt, an arguably essential role if played appropriately and by the proper person. But every single respawn he was booped off the edge one way or another, and in turn a little tilted obviously. So much so that his mood became soured and he had the impulse to stop playing. I get it, okay. Maybe it was his fault. Maybe if he had played differently or not put himself in a position to be knocked off, he would have had more fun. As players of Overwatch, and victims of being booped, I urge you to think of those times when you were booped and there was truly nothing you could have done to save yourself.

Allow me to give you some perspective on some different characters.
Pharah can boop. Lúcio can boop. A half-skilled Roadhog can hook people off ledge by standing, facing it. His ult can also knock many off the edge. Junkrat can boop if done right. If Orisa can land her Halt Graviton Charge right, she tug a mess of folks off the edge. I have even seen a skilled D.va fly and push people off, then return to land before the time runs out. If I am correct, Zarya's ult can bring people off the edge. That is at least 7 of 24 characters that can knock other players off the edge. Again I want to stress to you: I have no problem with the ability to boop. I am not arguing that booping should be changed in any manner.

Of the Overwatch characters, I argue that only about 8 have a realistic chance of recovering and climbing/jumping/flying back up. There are more characters that have the ability to recover, but perhaps not quite as much a chance as the ones I have in mind.

Genji - Climb
Hanzo - Climb
Pharah - Fly
Sombra - Translocator
Tracer - Rewind
Widowmaker - Grapple
D.va - Fly
Winston - Jump

This was not counting the off chance that the following characters might be able to pull these off. Forgive me if your main is in here and I have insulted you by doubting your ability to recover. Maybe you are amazing at this. Maybe I just suck. I do not know as I am just a Mercy main:

Reaper - Shadow Step
Junkrat - Mine
Lúcio - Wall Glide (forgive me, I do not know the technical term for it)
Mercy - Guardian Angel

I think that is about it. Feel free to chime in if I have missed anyone.

That being said, do I think all characters should have the ability to come back from that? Certainly not. Different characters fill different roles. They are not all going to come packing the proper equipment or know-how to prepare for anything. Certainly not all of them (Reinhardt, lookin' at you, buddy!) have a chance to return from the pit that is their grave. Nor should they.

Leap of Faith, as I am calling it
(Wouldn't it be cool if they kept the name as a nod to the Priest? :D)

World of Warcraft's Leap of Faith ability is described as follows:
"Pulls the spirit of a party or raid member, instantly moving them directly in front of you."

What I am asking for is, in my opinion, a fair way to bring characters back from what would be their death if not for this single ability. Mercy, as you well know, does not yet have an E ability. What if she could yank a teammate to her location?

So, what makes this fair?

A single teammate. That is all I am asking for. She is already a single-target focus heal, so she will not always by every player be in the right of mind and fully aware of what is going on around her. She would have to drop what she is doing just for the chance to catch that teammate.

Selecting the teammate. Sometimes it is already hard enough for Mercy to target the right teammate who is in critical need of healing, or the Bastion behind Reinhardt in the corner. Maybe Mercy has to be attached to them to pull them and that is what determines if they live or die.

The cooldown. It would merely have the same cooldown as other character's abilities. A decent 10-15 seconds or so. (I looked it up. Remember how I barely play anyone else?)

She is still vulnerable while doing this. It is not going to make her immortal for a couple seconds like her Resurrection. (Or like I have seen a post on this topic suggesting E be simply that she is immortal for 1 or 2 seconds.) She can be booped herself while doing this if she is close enough to the edge.

Plus, relating it to Roadhog, Blizzard could limit its function.
How would you target the falling player in question? Again, you might have to be attached to them by your healing stream or damage boost, much like Mercy's ability to fly to the person she is attached to, even when not looking directly at them.

Comparing it to Roadhog just once more, perhaps going around corners (off an edge), much like his hook, or even her existing healing/boosting stream, it breaks and the connection is lost.

She would also be hindered by having to remember to hit E instead of Shift (lolol can you imagine?)

No guarantee. Mercy may not always be able to reach the teammate in time. Falling can happen very fast.

Range. In my opinion, the ability ideally would have a decent range so that she does not have to run directly to the edge, but I cannot offer a range in mind other than the range in which she can already heal/boost and fly to friends.

No one else has a similar function!

More limitations could be that it does in fact put them directly in front of her. Roadhog's hook not only does this, but it also forces the player he has hooked to face him directly. No doubt Blizzard's team would look at these finer details, just as they have with characters such as Roadhog.

What are the problems with this function?

I hear from people all the time that Overwatch's player base is "Toxic af." I have met amazing people while playing, and I have met some really awful ones. Regardless, I love the game. I am playing for me, not the people putting others down.

Griefing. You know people would use this to troll and grief other players. So it is a fair point to make, and one that needs addressing. If Blizzard is going to overlook an idea just because it has the potential to be used for evil, they would have to rework many aspects of the existing game. Just as an example, think of Mei's wall. How many of you have been deliberately blocked off by a Mei on your team? Or trapped in spawn until the damn thing shatters? Some might argue that booping itself is griefing. (again, I am not one of those people, but it does upset a number of players) Any player has the ability to stop playing their role and try to help their team lose. That is a terrible thing to do, but it happens. In a perfect world, griefers will be reported and actions will take place.

Cooldown. Depending on the cooldown of this ability, booping fans might think this is unfair. It will of course have to undergo some play testing, but all concepts do.

Range. Again, this will have to be determined through some testing.

The concept of this ability does not just include the possibility to save a player from falling to their death. It includes just.. so much more. There are many possibilities. Like any character, I urge you to imagine all the crazy and fun things you can do, be it just for having a good time, or for the good of your team! You can use it to save a single teammate from a Reinhardt charge or a Pharah ult. Mercy is a support class. She this ability can support her team if we explore the idea together and get the ball rolling.

One more concept that could be argued as both a pro and a con is, with this ability, Mercy would be capable of pulling players (who may not otherwise be able) to heights and ledges to benefit her team. I am not thinking of any specific location or any particular character, but I recognize the possibility. (Using the map to your advantage? Hmm... sounds a bit like... I don't know... booping?)

If you think this is a good, fair idea, please help it to gain some traction. I do not think it is game-breaking. I do not think it is in any way extremely unfair.

Thank you so much for your time and for reading what I have to say!
-Ruin

(Please forgive any typos or grammatical errors)
I think this would be used more for trolling than helping.
05/01/2017 08:29 PMPosted by turtlebomb

If someone wanted to troll their teammates, they would go Mei and Ice Wall at the worst possible times.
Solid idea. I can easily see this employed in gameplay. It seems like a lackluster ability, but I already see how this can turn the tides of a match.
***presses e***

DO A FLIP
05/01/2017 08:29 PMPosted by turtlebomb

Care to share more detail as to why you think that?
It's a good idea, but I think there may be some problems with it. Wouldn't yanking a dead teammate over simply drop them into the pit making it impossible to Rez them or fly to their corpse again?

I think there was a similar idea somewhere about Mercy being able to shoot a flare then fly to it with GA for her E ability.
05/01/2017 09:00 PMPosted by Perashim
It's a good idea, but I think there may be some problems with it. Wouldn't yanking a dead teammate over simply drop them into the pit making it impossible to Rez them or fly to their corpse again?

I think there was a similar idea somewhere about Mercy being able to shoot a flare then fly to it with GA for her E ability.

I think you misread the point of the ability. It is not for grabbing corpses. It is for grabbing live teammates who are in harms way with the potential to be directly pulled from the situation to Mercy's location. But then, maybe Mercy is in danger at that moment too? It is still balanced.

And this... is not really even similar to your comment about the flare.
Nice idea, but one little thing. If booped off the map, Reaper can't use his Shadowstep to teleport back on.
05/01/2017 09:05 PMPosted by Tay23
Nice idea, but one little thing. If booped off the map, Reaper can't use his Shadowstep to teleport back on.

Oh okay! I had no idea. Thank you. I rarely play him so I would honestly not know.
If a person wants to troll they can do it with any character so it doesn't seem like that would make this ability unviable to me. I quite enjoy it! The ability I had thought for her was for her to apply both her boosts to herself for a few seconds but doing so prevents her from being able to aid or fly to allies, but this seems like a much better mercy-like idea.
Hope one of the devs likes it as well to put it in.

Now, as to how I'd use it is to speed in allies. Fly to a front line character like a tracer then pull in a tank with no movement like Zarya or Orisa to reposition or even pull in your ally Zenyatta to safety. There are a lot more uses than a counter to booping and I think that would give Mercy a major skill factor!
05/01/2017 09:04 PMPosted by Ruin
05/01/2017 09:00 PMPosted by Perashim

I think you misread the point of the ability. It is not for grabbing corpses. It is for grabbing live teammates who are in harms way with the potential to be directly pulled from the situation to Mercy's location. But then, maybe Mercy is in danger at that moment too? It is still balanced.

And this... is not really even similar to your comment about the flare.

Both your idea and the flare would allow you to have a new opening to use your GA. That's how I made the comparison, yours just has a few more uses besides possible GA use.

Sorry, I skimmed through the text. However, pulling people to Mercy's location does still have problems like: Off a cliff, in front of an Ulting (insert DPS hero here) or in front of a Rein charge/Hook, things like that.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a very good idea for an ability! I believe Lucrav stated it very well.

05/01/2017 09:08 PMPosted by Lucrav
If a person wants to troll they can do it with any character so it doesn't seem like that would make this ability unviable to me. I quite enjoy it! The ability I had thought for her was for her to apply both her boosts to herself for a few seconds but doing so prevents her from being able to aid or fly to allies, but this seems like a much better mercy-like idea.

Now, as to how I'd use it is to speed in allies. Fly to a front line character like a tracer then pull in a tank with no movement like Zarya or Orisa to reposition or even pull in your ally Zenyatta to safety. There are a lot more uses than a counter to booping and I think that would give Mercy a major skill factor!
imagine the possibilities...
oh look! the mercy is alone! NOPE! and suddenly a reinhardt appear and hammer down.
high nooning teleportation, i'd love to see that.
it'd be great, but no matter how hard i want this skill to pull that annoying almost dead teammate behind wall that seem to just want to play hide and seek with me, isnt it a little bit overpowered? other than mercy's rez, now she's having this "mini" rez, that summon freshly spawned teammate, (depend on the range of the skill) quickly back to objective?
05/01/2017 09:08 PMPosted by Lucrav

Thank you so much for your input in positive outlook on it! You are reacting to it quite as I hoped someone might. The boosting yourself is not a bad idea in itself, especially regarding the times when Mercy is alone (for whatever reason.) Her abilities all go to waste but her pistol.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this! I also like your imagination of how you would use the abilities. That is a fine idea and one I had not even considered!
I want people to know I am reading the feedback and going to do my best to remain objective! And I will do what I can to respond to as many as I can when I get the chance.

Thank you for the feedback!

(It is bed time for now)
Mercy mains have quickly become the most annoying mains in the entire game, not even Hanzo mains are this bad. Here's the bitter pill you need to swallow, as long as Mercy has rez, there will be no big changes to her, because her ult is the most powerful ult in the game. Period, end of story, accept it and move on.
so... could you pull your teammate off a cliff?
you know...just asking....
I don't know, as you describe it, this ability would be the first to directly be capable of killing your teammates. And though it would be a little complicated to successfully use it to troll (have two people close to the edge, fall down and yank one then GA to the other) you know people will still do it.

Also, it's just another ability that Mercy doesn't have access to if she's by herself. I know she shouldn't be alone, but she's the only one to depend entirely on her teammates. I would much prefer something that makes her a little independent.
Trolls would use this ability to pull teammates over a pit. Similar as to how Hog does it.