I am tired of people calling D. Va a "Mary Sue"

General Discussion
Hate to tell you this, but many people in real life are classic "high achievers" with genius level intelligence and no outward flaws. Just take a walk around an Ivy League school sometime.

Oh, how many of them are military commanders, movie stars and top gamers at the same time? At the age of 19.
I think it's mostly that she's just not taking this at all seriously, making winky faces and taking selfies with exploding mechs while characters like Zarya and Reaper and Soldier are endlessly lamenting and being haunted by their pasts. She's a child in a war and she's getting away with acting like a child.
05/31/2017 04:01 AMPosted by Jinxed
Hate to tell you this, but many people in real life are classic "high achievers" with genius level intelligence and no outward flaws. Just take a walk around an Ivy League school sometime.

Oh, how many of them are military commanders, movie stars and top gamers at the same time? At the age of 19.
Guess someone should have told Bruce Lee or Donnie Yen they couldn't have incredible martial skills and a career in show business at the same time. And tbh nearly every single Overwatch character is inordinately talented and accomplished, if they aren't master criminals instead. They're "heroes."
05/31/2017 03:26 AMPosted by MasterJJ
I concur, Hana's story has alot of potential and honestly could be deeper than half of the characters, so much so she could have a whole game just dedicated to her.

Game dedicated to spoiled game streamer in pink mech? Now i want to vomit. Thanks god OW is not that game.
05/31/2017 04:20 AMPosted by riuminkd
05/31/2017 03:26 AMPosted by MasterJJ
I concur, Hana's story has alot of potential and honestly could be deeper than half of the characters, so much so she could have a whole game just dedicated to her.

Game dedicated to spoiled game streamer in pink mech? Now i want to vomit. Thanks god OW is not that game.

Correction, Game dedicated to cute korean celebrity that gets drafted into service. Follows her training into a badass mech warrior,her general shenanigans on and off the base and her having to face reality of fighting the largest omnic in the world and also becoming the poster girl of her homeland.
05/31/2017 04:14 AMPosted by Fran
Guess someone should have told Bruce Lee or Donnie Yen they couldn't have incredible martial skills and a career in show business at the same time. And tbh nearly every single Overwatch character is inordinately talented and accomplished, if they aren't master criminals instead. They're "heroes."

So, none. None of them are 19 years old and top gamers.

Seriously, my post is not about D.Va being too talented. It is about zero effort. She succeeded in everything and I don't see any signs of failures in her lore. And that all while being 19 years old. While biography of all people you mentioned has it's ups and downs. And because of that all of them are much more interesting than D.Va.

It is mostly because D.Va lacks story. But for what we have now - her character is as deep as a poster on my wall.
She's fine
In a writing sense, and depending on lore, D.Va is a Mary Sue. Nothing has happened to her as far as we know. She was 16 when she won a starcraft II tournament, she was drafted to the army, and destroyed too many omnics. The voice line you mentioned isn't canon yet. A lot of interactions are not canon, which is why the "Mercy revived reaper then screwed up" went to hell and back.
In a writing sense, she isn't a Mary Sue as already explained, because you need to at least have one of the traits but with no writing involved, you can't call a character a Mary Sue just because that character had nothing happened to her/him. I mean there are lots of people out there, living a normal or successful life without anything "happening to them" (even though I would say being drafted and living in a country that faces constant attacks by a military force, "nothing" is debtatable).
05/31/2017 04:25 AMPosted by MasterJJ
Follows her training into a badass mech warrior,her general shenanigans on and off the base and her having to face reality of fighting the largest omnic in the world and also becoming the poster girl of her homeland.

D'va ten years later - tough as nail veteran with PTSD who loves bullying rookies, smell of napalm and new assignments. Spends most of free time repairing mech or drinking with buddies (drinking contests with Zarya and bragging about killed omnics).
But on the posters she's still young gamer girl.
Blizzard plz.
Kinda but not really. Shes a normal girl... BUT she just so happens have a mech. in the mech not mary sue out well yeah a bit i wouldnt call her one but she has a few traits
05/31/2017 04:51 AMPosted by riuminkd
05/31/2017 04:25 AMPosted by MasterJJ
Follows her training into a badass mech warrior,her general shenanigans on and off the base and her having to face reality of fighting the largest omnic in the world and also becoming the poster girl of her homeland.

D'va ten years later - tough as nail veteran with PTSD who loves bullying rookies, smell of napalm and new assignments. Spends most of free time repairing mech or drinking with buddies (drinking contests with Zarya and bragging about killed omnics).
But on the posters she's still young gamer girl.
Blizzard plz.

New phrases(with hardened voice):
"I love the smell of orbital strike in the morning."
"Armored Meka is a contradiction in terms."
"When in doubt - keep shooting."
IMO, she talks too much trash (in OW and HotS) to be a Mary Sue. In that respect, I find her one of the most relatable characters to current day gamers.
People... D.va is 19. Statecraft streamer at the age of 16. Then became a movie star. Drafted just b4 18 for the war. War ended, and is currently 19. I've never heard her called a Marysue or what ever. She has a ton of back story considering there is no cinematic or a comic for her as of yet.
I'm hearing about this Mary Sue business from you tbh. Never heard of it anywhere else.
this thread is the first time I have ever heard anyone call dva a mary sue, and everyone in this thread seems to not think dva is a mary sue.

so, OP, what are you talking about?
She has a ton of back story

For a 19yo character...This is stupid as hell. And being good at StarCraft doesn't make you a !@#$%^- soldier.
11/12/2017 03:00 AMPosted by LexRage

For a 19yo character...This is stupid as hell. And being good at StarCraft doesn't make you a !@#$%^- soldier.

I am pretty sure her piloting the mech against the omnics makes her a soldier though.
11/12/2017 03:00 AMPosted by LexRage

Some things to think about:

The military is actively looking for gamers to take on piloting roles because tests show that gamers have better hand eye coordination, multi-target tracking, and response times compared to non gamers.

South Korea currently has mandatory 2 year military service, the earliest you can begin is ~17, the latest you can put it off is ~21. In fact some Korean SC2 players have had to retire to go do their mandatory service or else they would never be allowed to return to their homeland. If the practice was revived because the MEKA control system went down then D.Va would have been drafted into the military anyways and thrown into a meka regardless.

Many Korean SC2 players begin streaming as early as 14, making D.Va rather average in that regard with the only notable thing being the rarity of her losing a match. She more or less became an idol because of that, and once she had proven herself adept at using the meka and was getting victories under her belt that is when the government moved to turn her into a movie star diva that functioned as much as propaganda (as a beacon of hope for her country) as soldier.
05/31/2017 12:21 AMPosted by SteamPunk
If anything Genji is the gary sue of OW

That's a pretty !@#$ed up Gary Sue right there.