Why Does Roadhog Deserve to Have His Alt Fire?

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 17 Next
05/18/2017 03:56 PMPosted by Dismas
-He has 600 hp
-A long range hook to compensate for his regular fire'a short range
- He has 600 hp heal
For a character that has everything he needs to get him and or his enemies close to him he has an alt fire to take away a method of counterplay if it counts even as a method. "Dodge the hook so you don't get one shotted" oh but hey I have an alt fire too and I'll just one shot with you with that.

Try to defend why he SHOULD have an alt fire. All this alt fire does is take away a method of counterplay which should be effective if he misses his hook or to mention he has a shotgun to 1 shot when you get close.

Holy hell you're whining like a little kid.

So you want him to be only effective at a maximum of 3 metres? With a huge !@# hitbox, slow movement speed and a huge cooldown on his kit? Ok man, you make sense.

Ok, since you don't seem to get it. It would make him a worse Reaper. It would throw him into fricking Z tier, that's how bad he would be. He would need huge buffs to his kit in order to make him useful. He has exactly TWO ranges where he deals damage, one of the VERY few heroes who are limited in their damage capabilities. So yeah, are you still on your horse why people "try to defend" that? Get some sense for logic please.

A hero with a 21 meter hook is only effective at 3 meters.
05/20/2017 06:05 AMPosted by Malfunction
05/20/2017 05:59 AMPosted by Izanami
but let's say you encounter one of those rare roadhogs that doesn't always land his hook. if he missed this hook, impossible i know, he'd have no way to defend himself outside of left click range.

well i mean if roadhog messes up an ability he gets to shoot at range with a shotgun and heal.
meanwhile anyone else messes up their ability against roadhog they immediately die.

So if he misses his hook he should be the shortest range hero in the game with no mobility and an escape? I mean, after all, it's "punishing him". Sure, Winston has his bubble and a 5 second leap, Tracer has an ever expanding blink, Soldier has infinite sprint, Reaper has literal invincibility, Mercy can instantly fly to whoever she wants on a 1 second cooldown, Pharah can fly, Mei has a self-heal invulnerability period, wall, and CC literally on tap, Junkrat can launch himself in arbitrary directions, Reinhardt can put up a barrier or charge away, Genji can deflect and dash away, Orisa can halt people away from her and become crazy tanky and immune to CC behind a redeployable shield, Widowmaker can batman across the map, Hanzo can climb walls, and D.Va can fly and delete projectiles, but Roadhog made a "mistake" (i.e. literally just missed a single shot) and should instantly die.

How about you !@#$ off, thanks.
05/20/2017 05:59 AMPosted by Malfunction
05/20/2017 05:18 AMPosted by Depressed
Roadhog can't one shot Zarya, she didn't have full health in that GIF.

did... did you even look?
because she does...
I've never been one shot at full health as Zarya, RH 's teammates were probably shooting her when she was hooked.
He would still be a perfectly viable character without alt fire.

As for why the hell does he need it when he ALREADY has the hook(a long-medium range option) is a fking mystery.
I mean there is a hero who's short range and No options beyond melee range.

Also I wouldn't be complaining about having 'no escape' when you are 600hp with rapid selfheal.
05/20/2017 06:17 AMPosted by Krystace
I've never been one shot at full health as Zarya, RH 's teammates were probably shooting her when she was hooked.

You can with a perfect headshot, since Roadhog can do up to 450 HP and Zarya only has 400, none of it being armor.

That happens maybe once every 100 games for pretty much everyone, but it's absolutely possible.
05/20/2017 05:59 AMPosted by Malfunction
did... did you even look?
because she does...

It was a big deal when Roadhog's buffs came through that he could now one shot Zarya if he aims right.
You babies still going on?
05/20/2017 06:19 AMPosted by Breadbox
I mean there is a hero who's short range and No options beyond melee range.

No there isn't. Reaper's shotguns have about twice the range of Roadhog's left click, and Reinhardt can literally throw a spiral of flame at people (in addition to his 2000 HP shield that kind of made him a must pick for more than half of the last year).

(On a side note, this is why it's mostly bull!@#$ to complain that Reaper dies to Roadhog's right-click. In order to do that, he has to approach in plain sight from within Roadhog's right-click range, which virtually never happens. It's far more common for Reaper to be killed by left-click, hook or otherwise. In real actual fights that happen outside of forum fantasy-land, Roadhog tends to push forward to get Reaper into left-click range, and Reaper is backpedaling to stay in between Roadhog's left-click and right-click range).
I actually entirely agree with this. You look at Reaper who has no tool for bringing enemies in close, can only engage in close, has 250hp versus Roadhog's 600 and you have an OP hero.

Roadhog really has no business having an alternative fire with the way the game is currently being balanced.
05/20/2017 06:19 AMPosted by Ephemiel
...I've never been one shot at full health as Zarya, RH 's teammates were probably shooting her when she was hooked.

It was a big deal when Roadhog's buffs came through that he could now one shot Zarya if he aims right.
And then he got nerfed. And aybody, with any smarts would bait out the hook and not try to 1v1 RH while his hook's up. And anyone playing Zarya against RH should know to keep their barriers for his hook.
05/20/2017 06:05 AMPosted by Malfunction
05/20/2017 05:59 AMPosted by Izanami
but let's say you encounter one of those rare roadhogs that doesn't always land his hook. if he missed this hook, impossible i know, he'd have no way to defend himself outside of left click range.

well i mean if roadhog messes up an ability he gets to shoot at range with a shotgun and heal.
meanwhile anyone else messes up their ability against roadhog they immediately die.

i think fun factor comes into play here for the roadhog player. if roadhog didn't have his alt fire after a missed hook, he'd be no different than a hacked reinhardt. it wouldn't be fun for the roadhog to feel powerless every eight seconds after a missed hook.

since the alt fire acts as a deterrent, if it's no longer there people will engage roadhog differently. they just need to stay outside his 5m range and never have to fear death until the hook's off cooldown. plus without the alt fire his impact in team fights, not to mention breaking barriers, just goes down the toilet.

roadhog would be non-viable. torb levels even, but i suppose that's what everyone wants since these threads are always popping up.
05/20/2017 06:34 AMPosted by TheRoseEXP
I actually entirely agree with this. You look at Reaper who has no tool for bringing enemies in close, can only engage in close, has 250hp versus Roadhog's 600 and you have an OP hero.

The problem with Reaper isn't that he has no tool for bringing enemies in close. The problem is that tool is called Shadow Step, and it sucks.

I mean, if you guys want to take away his right click and give him !@#$ing wraith form, be my guest.
-He has 600 hp
-A long range hook to compensate for his regular fire'a short range
- He has 600 hp heal
For a character that has everything he needs to get him and or his enemies close to him he has an alt fire to take away a method of counterplay if it counts even as a method. "Dodge the hook so you don't get one shotted" oh but hey I have an alt fire too and I'll just one shot with you with that.

Try to defend why he SHOULD have an alt fire. All this alt fire does is take away a method of counterplay which should be effective if he misses his hook or to mention he has a shotgun to 1 shot when you get close.

Holy hell you're whining like a little kid.

So you want him to be only effective at a maximum of 3 metres? With a huge !@# hitbox, slow movement speed and a huge cooldown on his kit? Ok man, you make sense.

Ok, since you don't seem to get it. It would make him a worse Reaper. It would throw him into fricking Z tier, that's how bad he would be. He would need huge buffs to his kit in order to make him useful. He has exactly TWO ranges where he deals damage, one of the VERY few heroes who are limited in their damage capabilities. So yeah, are you still on your horse why people "try to defend" that? Get some sense for logic please.

A hero who's only effective at 3meters with no alt fire, aside from the healing and the hook, you've just described Reaper. He's supposed to counter Roadhog.
05/20/2017 06:46 AMPosted by Attlus
He's supposed to counter Roadhog.

No he's not. Nothing about their kits implies that either character was meant to counter the other. Nothing about Reaper is intrinsically meant for killing tanks. He's an incidental tankbuster because he's a short-range hero that does a ton of damage. What is Roadhog? A short-range hero that does a ton of damage.
05/18/2017 03:47 PMPosted by M3T4
Honestly though, I just posted this clip in another hog thread but it applies here.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Hybrid%20M3T4/video/31101123

I overextend like an idiot, !@#$ up my hook, get chased into a corridor by a Pharah and Hog, ONE SHOT THE GOD-DAMN PHARAH then I proceed to heal and kill the hog, Balanced/10
Watching that clip made me sick.
Roadhog is laughably easy to deal with if you don't let yourself get hooked. I can 1v1 Roadhogs with ridiculous regularity with Lucio, Mei, Soldier, Pharah, Symmetra, hell, yesterday I 1v1'd Hog with Mercy multiple times in a single match and didn't die once.

His r-click does pitiful damage at most ranges. It takes a absolute perfect shot in a small window of range, and is easy enough to disrupt with a little bunny hopping.

As someone who has played Hog and played against hog a lot... Hitting that r-click is about as difficult as using Soldiers helix rocket to get an environmental kill. Definitely possible, but basically only reliable against an immobilised target which would be easier to kill with l-click. It is really only OP against players that stand still, and why wouldn't you just hook them instead?
05/20/2017 06:54 AMPosted by Zaydar
Honestly though, I just posted this clip in another hog thread but it applies here.

I overextend like an idiot, !@#$ up my hook, get chased into a corridor by a Pharah and Hog, ONE SHOT THE GOD-DAMN PHARAH then I proceed to heal and kill the hog, Balanced/10

yeah it's sickening how the two guys fail so much in killing him, pharah in closed spaces vs a shotgun at close range and taken damage? good choice..

and the 3 shots the enemy hog misses on top of the missed hook, very bad plays on the other team..

on top of this, his ana heals with a nade and another shot, which is also part of the reason he survives ..

Not trying to be the RH defender, but that Pharah is at fault, too, completely overextended and out of line, herself. Nearly on the ground in a tight corridor in the enemy's spawn. I'm surprised she didn't die from her own rockets.
05/20/2017 07:02 AMPosted by NullerGnuen
<span class="truncated">...</span>Watching that clip made me sick.

yeah it's sickening how the two guys fail so much in killing him, pharah in closed spaces vs a shotgun at close range and taken damage? good choice..

and the 3 shots the enemy hog misses on top of the missed hook, very bad plays on the other team..

on top of this, his ana heals with a nade and another shot, which is also part of the reason he survives ..
You're right, how dare they try oppose Roadhog, they should bow down and let him win.

It was not a miss, its mostly luck that causes players to hit hooks, its just throw and hope.
05/20/2017 07:04 AMPosted by Krystace
...Watching that clip made me sick.
Not trying to be the RH defender, but that Pharah is at fault, too, completely overextended and out of line, herself. Nearly on the ground in a tight corridor in the enemy's spawn. I'm surprised she didn't die from her own rockets.
"I'm surprised she didn't die from her own rockets."