Ranks MUST fall!

Competitive Discussion
This is the fundamental problem with the system that has the result of throwers and other toxic behaviour. People reach a rank and think they are "safe", they will get their end of season rewards regardless of how they play for the rest of the season. THIS NEEDS TO CHANGE!

Yes there is this at high rank over 3500 with decay and falling out of rank, but it needs to be over all ranks!, not just the top tier.

What % of the game population plays over the 3500 rank? Why should they have a better system to stop bad behaviour up there?

What about the majority of players in the silver to plat range? they should get a fair deal too. Not having to deal with people playing half assed because they got to diamond or plat so don't care if they fall back to silver or gold when they will still get there rewards anyway.

THIS NEEDS TO CHANGE! up vote to start the movement!
I agree, if you fall below the SR of gold, it should put you into silver on symbol AND end of season reward.

which means they should also do away with decay
I tend to agree, it would help discourage some smurfing too. I doubt it will happen though. This season's changes were once again primarily catered for there higher end of the skill rating. The only change which I can recall that may have benefited some players in the lower to mid range end of the skill rating were the streaks being majorly nerfed.
Totally agree.

Your rank icon should be the rank you are currently in.

Also CP should be rewarded for the tier you finished in, not your season high.

I think this would help deter a lot of throwers.

Edit: This is probably a very unpopular opinion but I think decay should happen at all ranks. My reason being is some people stop playing once they hit a certain rank, which in my opinion people who do that don't belong in comp. Also if they decide to come back after a few weeks, not only are they out of practice but the meta probably changed subtly. A lot of people don't understand what meta actually is but it is changing constantly regardless of buffs and nerf. When they come back after a break and get matched at their current rank then they are bound to underperform.
Not letting this drop into nothingness. it must happen!
If anything, this would encourage smurfing and make them harder to detect /deter.

Just leave an account until it decays down to bronze then have fun.

Smurfs don't care for season rewards.
Agree but there always people that don't care, they should add some diamond weapons that only top 500 can get, maybe even add some lightning effect to it, top 500 is special afterall something people don't wanna drop out off.
To clarify what OP is saying (i think) he is saying that > 3000 players should lose their 'icon' if they fall below the tier SR. Which would have a minuscule effect, but hey.
To discourage Deranking and boosting I have a couple ideas.
In order to continue to gain CP you need to within 250 SR of your current tier.
For example, if your diamond you can no drop below 2750 or you gain 0 a CP until you are back in your tier...
This will prevent Boosting as well because when they fall back down to silver they lose any ability to gain CP at all until next season.

Secondly we need to make sure the placement matches are done with players in the previous season high and not the tier you ended in... This prevents boosting and deranking because if you are a platinum player that dropped to silver in order to wreck them during the placement matches, sorry, not going to happen, you are placing against plats... And if you are a silver that got boosted to Diamond, well now you have to play your placement matches against Diamonds and will get stomped and you will be placed in bronze...
How about if you make it to the rank, plus 100, you can keep it. That way, you won't have people who will make it to 3001 and never try again.
Actually this isn't true at all. Just today I played against DSPStanky who's teammate rage quit along with his entire team. I've played from 2100 to 4400 and haven't noticed any more people leaving in lower level games than in higher level games.
05/15/2017 11:35 PMPosted by Voidz
How about if you make it to the rank, plus 100, you can keep it. That way, you won't have people who will make it to 3001 and never try again.

No, because then they will make it to 3101 and never try again. I like what OP suggests. End of season reward matching final placement.

And if they don't do a clean start for Season 5 and insist in their bizarre grandfathering placement ideas then placement of Season 5 should be related to where you finished in S4.
15% of people are in diamond and above. They implemented the decay system to make it harder to stay in the upper ranks and make every player there Consistent.
05/15/2017 05:03 PMPosted by Shadowcat
This is the fundamental problem with the system that has the result of throwers and other toxic behaviour. People reach a rank and think they are "safe", they will get their end of season rewards regardless of how they play for the rest of the season. THIS NEEDS TO CHANGE!

Yes there is this at high rank over 3500 with decay and falling out of rank, but it needs to be over all ranks!, not just the top tier.

What % of the game population plays over the 3500 rank? Why should they have a better system to stop bad behaviour up there?

What about the majority of players in the silver to plat range? they should get a fair deal too. Not having to deal with people playing half assed because they got to diamond or plat so don't care if they fall back to silver or gold when they will still get there rewards anyway.

Zero correlation between decay and throwing. Decay makes for a bad game (it's never worked). It can't accurately depict skill loss. It forces people to play out of comfort zones.

So I have to ask. That guy that kicks your !@# once a week needs to get rolled back on his rank because he doesn't play enough? He neat you. He's proven he's better. But sure. Let's decay the $%^- out of all ranks. Let's have hundreds of thousands if not millions of players in ranks far below where they belong and screw the matchmaking even more. Great idea. I see you thought it through completely and used evidence to support your claim that more decay meant less throwing. By your own self defeating logic, the decay moving to 7 games a week should have resulted in roughly 7 times less throwing and whatever else you claim to exist. It did none of that. It just pissed players off. Especially the ones with lives.

We aren't like you. We don't have mom wipe us while she makes you us hot pockets. Some of us want Overwatch to be our game and not our second job.
05/16/2017 12:41 AMPosted by Emzx99
05/15/2017 05:03 PMPosted by Shadowcat

Zero correlation between decay and throwing. Decay makes for a bad game (it's never worked). It can't accurately depict skill loss. It forces people to play out of comfort zones.

So I have to ask. That guy that kicks your !@# once a week needs to get rolled back on his rank because he doesn't play enough? He neat you. He's proven he's better. But sure. Let's decay the $%^- out of all ranks. Let's have hundreds of thousands if not millions of players in ranks far below where they belong and screw the matchmaking even more. Great idea. I see you thought it through completely and used evidence to support your claim that more decay meant less throwing. By your own self defeating logic, the decay moving to 7 games a week should have resulted in roughly 7 times less throwing and whatever else you claim to exist. It did none of that. It just pissed players off. Especially the ones with lives.

We aren't like you. We don't have mom wipe us while she makes you us hot pockets. Some of us want Overwatch to be our game and not our second job.

Decay is not the big thing here. I don't care if they implement that or not, it's just what they have above 3500. The big point I'm trying to get across is the falling out of rank, and rewards should be based on your final season rank, not your high point.
This is a great idea, but for different reasons. Here's why.

With every game, there's the problem with trolls making the game unpleasant in a competitive environment. What happens a lot in Overwatch is that players climb to whatever SR they feel like and immediately start trolling to drop their rank. Many of them use the excuse of playing with friends but a more problematic excuse is to farm competitive points for golden weapons.

Golden weapons obtained via Competitive Points are supposed to serve as an incentive to keep playing and climb. However, these trolls are throwing matches on purpose so they can be in Gold, Silver, and Bronze. This is where they farm competitive points and intentionally throw games because the matches end much quicker. Either it due to other trolls, leavers, and the big gap in skill.

With decay at lower ranks, these trolls will have the option to let their SR decay without affecting other users.
Honestly I dont understand why they only do masters and up when it comes to having to maintain a rank.

This is what I would have done

Say your max is 2520 in plat allow you to go down maybe 300 rating this way there is some wiggle room. If you require they stay above 2500 you'll just have a bunch of squatters afraid to lose the award.

What shouldn't be happening is diamond players getting their full reward while finishing the season in bronze after throwing and dranking 3 tiers intentionally.

The throwing and deranking is getting out of hand. I am sorry if you aer down 1200 rating it was does by intention period.
Please do it. The amount of times I get !@#$ing flamed for having a diamond icon on my practice account in gold is dumb.
Would love too see some blue words on this. As to there thoughts.
heh... I never thought of it this way. People actually play JUST for golden weapons? kek, it's not like it helps them aim better or something.