Why aren't there more female eSports players?

Competitive Discussion
Because they're all Mercy mains.
*eyeroll*

edit: you are being dumb some girls play other healers.....but not ana
I'm only stating what I've observed in what little experience I've had in OverWatch.
This is why:

http://kotaku.com/korean-woman-kicks-!@#-at-overwatch-gets-accused-of-ch-1782343447

EDIT: Adding alternate article + video.

http://www.pcgamer.com/teenage-overwatch-player-accused-of-cheating-proves-shes-just-that-good-with-zarya/
06/03/2017 08:43 PMPosted by Arvenniel
This is why:

http://kotaku.com/korean-woman-kicks-!@#-at-overwatch-gets-accused-of-ch-1782343447

Yep.
This is why:

Broken link.

Even so, there are 30 million registered accounts on OW and dozens of teams with hundreds of players. Not a single female eSports player.

Why is that?
I don't think I've ever seen a Mercy main female streamer.
06/03/2017 08:33 PMPosted by Solitara
*eyeroll*

edit: you are being dumb some girls play other healers.....but not ana

Ahem. Oasis.
06/03/2017 08:48 PMPosted by Shaxi
This is why:

Broken link.

Even so, there are 30 million registered accounts on OW and dozens of teams with hundreds of players. Not a single female eSports player.

Why is that?

Replace the filtered words and Google search it. I can't fix the link for obvious reasons.

As for why, the gaming community especially in competitive is pretty mysogynistic. I'll leave it at that and avoid donning the SJW hat.
I think they are just not interested in extreme competitive situation, it's too stressful
the OP isn't wrong. There are no mercy players in pro play right now because mercy is point for point the worst healer in the game right now... for team play. As a solo Q she does fine as an unorganized team can benefit from the undo button enough to make it worth while, but every other healer has way more in their toolkit. Even zen's damage boost is literally 6x better than mercies. Not only does mercy have to stop healing to do it, but she can't also do damage while boosting. in contrast zen is booting 6 players at the same time and doing damage and healing. When things go bad all mercy has is an undo button. zen and lucio can litrerally ult and prevent the kills from occuring and no undo button is needed. Then add in the fact that most rez ults are hurting the mercy team more than helping. now this point is harder to understand but unless your mercy rez results in you coming back and kiling 6 enemies your team is likely the one to be killed and in addition to the damage feed from the first kills you now have given the enemy team the ult damage charge twice. if they ddin't have ult after the first time they killed you they sure do have it now. These, among other reasons, are why mercy is not used in pro play with any form of regularity.

Now mercy aside, which does attract lots of female players, and the reason it does it ultimately part of the reason you get fewer female pro players.

So female players have a large amount of misogyny they need to overcome. First they have to be playing a genre of game that is considered by many male players to be "not a female 'type' of game". So right off the bat they are less likely to have developed FPS skills from years and years of play and all of the pro players have been playing some sort of FPS game since they were young.

Second female players who are trying to learn these skills struggle to play on a equal field as male players. They receive a high level of verbal abuse, taunting, and negative treatment for simply being female. The moment they speak, which is a critical part of this game, they have a much higher chance of that becoming a topic that distracts from game play then male players.

Third even if a female player develops the skills the teams are all ran by men and most are sexists and literally will expect the female player to play at a even higher level in order to be considered. So if a female player and a male player go for the same slot the female player has to do more than out perform the male player to get the slot. they have to basically crush them and then some before they are given the same consideration. Which based on point 1 and 2 is nearly impossible in the current climate.

These are the 3 largest factors why female players are currently not in equal parts to the male players of any pro FPS game right now. It boils down to sexism from the moment they show interest in a non girly thing and never ends.

That is also why they often play mercy. They are intimidated and attacked when they play other characters and bullied into playing mercy. Since they never have a fair chance to play and develop the same skills they are less likely to even develop to a point where a pro team could pick them up. We are more likely to see a full team of female players before we see even 1 female player on the majority of pro teams.
06/03/2017 09:02 PMPosted by MeiCree
I think they are just not interested in extreme competitive situation, it's too stressful

that is super sexist. genitalia does not change a competitive person to become a non competitive person.

The reason we have to have female players in their own basketball league is because we segregate them from a young age. They have the same level of competitive nature as the boy players and yet we force them to play a position that is for a girl with girl rules. If boys and girls played basketball together from day 1 they wouldn't have the "tall girl" be center. she would play the position that fits her best against a co-ed division. She wouldn't be using a girl ball and wouldn't be playing with girl rules. So when they grew up and went out for the NBA they both would be equal and the NBA would have lots of female players right now. However, when a player learns 1 position based on the height aggregation of just one gender, playing with the wrong size ball, and different rules you can't simply switch them to the position they should of played their a entire life with a ball size they never played with before and a set of rules that changes how they fundamentally approach situations. That is why we have a WNBA. Those female pro players are equally as competitive as the male players, but never given the chance to develop the skills needed to play co-ed play.

06/03/2017 08:49 PMPosted by Magnus

eevee is the best mercy player in the world/na right now and is female. she streams regularly.

edit:
eevee is a male streamer. my bad.
here is a female who mains mercy and streams: https://www.twitch.tv/oasisonoverwatch

I found her within a minute from googling "female mercy streamer" and while not the top results it was on page 1. she shows her self on cam during play so we know that she appears to be female. Her videos shows a majority of mercy as her selection, but I didn't actually ask her if she was a female or a mercy main. She was offline when i did this update. My point was that it appeared to be a easy find. Even if it wasn't the worlds best mercy :P
06/03/2017 09:07 PMPosted by Healer
the OP isn't wrong. There are no mercy players in pro play right now because mercy is point for point the worst healer in the game right now... for team play. As a solo Q she does fine as an unorganized team can benefit from the undo button enough to make it worth while, but every other healer has way more in their toolkit. Even zen's damage boost is literally 6x better than mercies. Not only does mercy have to stop healing to do it, but she can't also do damage while boosting. in contrast zen is booting 6 players at the same time and doing damage and healing. When things go bad all mercy has is an undo button. zen and lucio can litrerally ult and prevent the kills from occuring and no undo button is needed. Then add in the fact that most rez ults are hurting the mercy team more than helping. now this point is harder to understand but unless your mercy rez results in you coming back and kiling 6 enemies your team is likely the one to be killed and in addition to the damage feed from the first kills you now have given the enemy team the ult damage charge twice. if they ddin't have ult after the first time they killed you they sure do have it now. These, among other reasons, are why mercy is not used in pro play with any form of regularity.

Now mercy aside, which does attract lots of female players, and the reason it does it ultimately part of the reason you get fewer female pro players.

So female players have a large amount of misogyny they need to overcome. First they have to be playing a genre of game that is considered by many male players to be "not a female 'type' of game". So right off the bat they are less likely to have developed FPS skills from years and years of play and all of the pro players have been playing some sort of FPS game since they were young.

Second female players who are trying to learn these skills struggle to play on a equal field as male players. They receive a high level of verbal abuse, taunting, and negative treatment for simply being female. The moment they speak, which is a critical part of this game, they have a much higher chance of that becoming a topic that distracts from game play then male players.

Third even if a female player develops the skills the teams are all ran by men and most are sexists and literally will expect the female player to play at a even higher level in order to be considered. So if a female player and a male player go for the same slot the female player has to do more than out perform the male player to get the slot. they have to basically crush them and then some before they are given the same consideration. Which based on point 1 and 2 is nearly impossible in the current climate.

These are the 3 largest factors why female players are currently not in equal parts to the male players of any pro FPS game right now. It boils down to sexism from the moment they show interest in a non girly thing and never ends.

That is also why they often play mercy. They are intimidated and attacked when they play other characters and bullied into playing mercy. Since they never have a fair chance to play and develop the same skills they are less likely to even develop to a point where a pro team could pick them up. We are more likely to see a full team of female players before we see even 1 female player on the majority of pro teams.

^Very detailed and thought out post. Thank you for your input.
We are more likely to see a full team of female players before we see even 1 female player on the majority of pro teams.

Yep. That's basically what happened in the Fighting Game Community.

There was an all-female team of Dead or Alive players. And they were marketed as "gaming vixens". Meaning, even though they had skills at the game, they were dolled up in really sexy outfits and hyped up with sexy photo shoots.
06/03/2017 09:13 PMPosted by Healer
06/03/2017 09:02 PMPosted by MeiCree

that is super sexist. genitalia does not change a competitive person to become a non competitive person.

The reason we have to have female players in their own basketball league is because we segregate them from a young age. They have the same level of competitive nature as the boy players and yet we force them to play a position that is for a girl with girl rules. If boys and girls played basketball together from day 1 they wouldn't have the "tall girl" be center. she would play the position that fits her best against a co-ed division. She wouldn't be using a girl ball and wouldn't be playing with girl rules. So when they grew up and went out for the NBA they both would be equal and the NBA would have lots of female players right now. However, when a player learns 1 position based on the height aggregation of just one gender, playing with the wrong size ball, and different rules you can't simply switch them to the position they should of played their a entire life with a ball size they never played with before and a set of rules that changes how they fundamentally approach situations. That is why we have a WNBA. Those female pro players are equally as competitive as the male players, but never given the chance to develop the skills needed to play co-ed play.

06/03/2017 08:49 PMPosted by Magnus

eevee is the best mercy player in the world/na right now and is female. she streams regularly.

I'm pretty sure EeveeA is a guy... No?
06/03/2017 08:38 PMPosted by Shaxi
I'm only stating what I've observed in what little experience I've had in OverWatch.

You're 2500, you haven't had anything close to experience in eSports
LOL XDDD

EeveeA/B/C is a guy lmao. So is LittleMenace.
Eveea is a dude
06/03/2017 09:32 PMPosted by Lazarus
Because they are extremely bad at video games that require mental reactions, and do not have the same brain chemical levels as us. End of story.

Kid, you're silver. At least female players above your rank can safely claim they'll have a better shot at being tourney players than you will.