Let's talk about life in Bronze. It sucks.

Competitive Discussion
http://imgur.com/wF9ZR3z

621 !@#$%^-ed SR.

There's my placement. Yes I'm salty AF. Yes, I'm willing to wrestle Jeff.

I'm not going to say I deserve to be in Plat/Diamond/Master/GM, but all of the stories about climbing out of Bronze always seem to wind up with, "And then I wound up in Plat/Diamond/Master/etc."

Never has the story been, "Then I wound up in Gold/Silver."

It feels like there's a certain gravity to Bronze that if you're not Plat/Diamond bound, having a run of hard luck will sink you to around ~1200 SR, which seems to be the event horizon for the Bronze black hole of suck and you just never recover.

I feel like I'm getting worse day by day no matter how much I try to train my aim, get a better game sense, better reading of the meta, etc. I by no means mean any disrespect to all my fellow Bronzes by this next statement, but SR is literally about how well we play. At this SR, all of my teammates literally are some of the worst players in OW. While my opponents are ALSO literally some more of the worst players in OW, unless you're Diamond/Plat/Master/GM, carrying a whole team, especially at this low SR, is just infeasible.

It's really frustrating to be this absolutely deep in the muck with regards to SR and not knowing what to do. Third party stat tracker apps are very nice, but this is a lot of data that literally tells me nothing. Not only that, since I don't *think* there's an official Blizzard API, the numbers feel super suspect and sketchy.

Stacking and maybe getting boosted by friends is a neat answer, but I'm worried I'm going to fall back into that SR gravity well and all of that will have been for nothing. If my skills suck, getting boosted out of triple digit Bronze is an artificial inflation of my SR.

Please give us folks at the bottom some kind of quality of life improvements. We need better training tools. We need more transparency with regards to competitive. Helping those of us with triple digit SRs will also help out those who are in Gold and struggling to get out.

I keep playing because I like playing, but at the same time, it's also becoming so unfun, it's anti-fun. And it feels like unless something changes for us here at the very bottom, the anti-fun will overpower the fun and I'm just going to throw my PC into the trash and occasionally play events on my PS4.
I was in bronze once. I met some nice people. I got out hopefully never to return.

One thing I might suggest is make friends with higher level players and play quickplay with them. They could probably help you get better. I think a lot of people misuse quickplay. If you get a group of friends you can practice. Instead of not using good team comp set it up like it's a ranked match and practice.
I don't see all your stats but all the game is, is practice in order to get better. Play more comp. And play characters that can self sustain and that can impact the game a lot. Like Soldier, Roadhog, Pharah. Zen if you like support. Symm on certain maps.
I've seen people discuss their climbs from bronze to silver and gold. It just gets lets attention because it's not as dramatic.

You should record your gameplay and post it for review. You're doing something very wrong, and it would be very obvious if I could see you play, but otherwise I have no idea what it is. I could guess for hours and probably not figure it out.

Record a few games. Post them for review on here, or reddit, or add my on Bnet and I'll do it personally. This will let you know what your issues are. When you know them, you can fix them. You get better, you rank up.
06/01/2017 11:47 AMPosted by HrdcreCasual
I don't see all your stats but all the game is, is practice in order to get better. Play more comp. And play characters that can self sustain and that can impact the game a lot. Like Soldier, Roadhog, Pharah. Zen if you like support. Symm on certain maps.

I said

I feel like I'm getting worse day by day no matter how much I try to train my aim, get a better game sense, better reading of the meta, etc.

I'm not looking for advice on how to get out of Bronze. I've been given all the advice in the world on that.

I want Blizzard to actually give us more tools to make sense of competitive. Helping us schmucks out at the lower SRs will help out those who are in Gold/Plat trying to get to Diamond/Master.
So, I stack to comp, but the game WILL give us much harder people to play against. For example, we had silvers and golds the last day of the last season, and we were doing so well it put us up against a group of gold/plats. We lost. We didn't get creamed, but we lost.

This is expected.

But, my team plays together not because we steamroll everyone, but because we play together as a team, so we can play to the best of our abilities.

With that said, queuing in stacks is only useful if you actually complement each other. I ended up unfriending people who I well surpassed in skill, but who would try to dominate my time by trying to always group up with me. They were holding me back. So, make friends, keep the ones that grow with you, queue with those you work well with.
06/01/2017 11:50 AMPosted by FriendlyFire
I've seen people discuss their climbs from bronze to silver and gold. It just gets lets attention because it's not as dramatic.

You should record your gameplay and post it for review. You're doing something very wrong, and it would be very obvious if I could see you play, but otherwise I have no idea what it is. I could guess for hours and probably not figure it out.

Record a few games. Post them for review on here, or reddit, or add my on Bnet and I'll do it personally. This will let you know what your issues are. When you know them, you can fix them. You get better, you rank up.

I get the idea of community being a very important factor to improving, and I'm streaming these days because I really do want to get feed back. I'm going to start recording matches when I get comfortable having my voice and my gameplay out there. With your advice I will start posting to YouTube and be more vigilant about adding match clips to Twitch.

... But that's also a sorry excuse for the absolute opacity from the game itself on what's going wrong and what to do next. It also doesn't address the feeling like there's a serious SR decay problem after a certain SR in Bronze that's hard to overcome. Which is another transparency issue.
When i started playing ranked, i got into 1400 and last season i got into platin. It's possible, just really hard...
there is no difference in the gameplay of most of the ranks.

the reason players think they should be higher is they watch streams and stuff and see other players at higher levels doing pretty much exactly the same things as lower levels. The thing that a lot low level players seem to forget they are doing the same things AGAINST PLAYERS OF THEIR OWN SKILL LEVEL.

Yeah you see teammates doing stupid stuff but dont forget.......you also do stupid stuff everyone does.

are there flaws in matchmaking ? big YES
are there flaws in sr gains? big YES
does that mean its impossible to move up? NO!
06/01/2017 12:10 PMPosted by Taiki

I get the idea of community being a very important factor to improving, and I'm streaming these days because I really do want to get feed back. I'm going to start recording matches when I get comfortable having my voice and my gameplay out there. With your advice I will start posting to YouTube and be more vigilant about adding match clips to Twitch.

... But that's also a sorry excuse for the absolute opacity from the game itself on what's going wrong and what to do next. It also doesn't address the feeling like there's a serious SR decay problem after a certain SR in Bronze that's hard to overcome. Which is another transparency issue.

I've never heard of a game that tries to guide you on what you should do to rank up in an online competitive environment. That would be nice for sure, but I think you might be expecting a little much from Blizzard.

You should post your stream/youtube here, but especially on reddit. I think you'll get more useful advice from people there then on the Blizz forums.
06/01/2017 12:27 PMPosted by FriendlyFire
I've never heard of a game that tries to guide you on what you should do to rank up in an online competitive environment. That would be nice for sure, but I think you might be expecting a little much from Blizzard.

You should post your stream/youtube here, but especially on reddit. I think you'll get more useful advice from people there then on the Blizz forums.

I might be, but change happens not when the reasonable person changes themselves to fit the world but changes the world to fit themselves. I don't think it's too unreasonable to ask for some quality of life improvements either.

When I'm more comfortable being on scrutinized, I'll drop a link on the OW learning subreddit.
Yes, you're a GM player being held down by the Blizzard machine. Another post about how the OP isn't the problem.

Git gud. All the resources you need are on youtube or reddit.

google.com friend.
06/01/2017 01:40 PMPosted by prophet
Yes, you're a GM player being held down by the Blizzard machine.

That isn't what he said, and your being an !@#$%^-*.
You cannot get out of bronze playing heroes that don't carry well. Zarya only carries if you duo queue with a good dps who will save their ult and combo with you every time. If you want to solo carry, you'll have to play someone who can do so on their own without good teamwork. Junkrat, Pharah, Soldier, (Old) Roadhog, Tracer or anyone you feel you are really good with.
My suggestion and advice would be to play a hero that doesn't need nearly as much tracking or team coordination. Roadhog, soldier, reinhardt, and lucio are in my opinion are the ones to focus on. Roadhog is actually really great at carrying a team.
Got a season 4 low of 950. First season I started playing comp seriously. Season high of 1750, ended at 1650.

It's not difficult to get out of Bronze. It's not a "Blizzard fix this issue!" thing. It's not a "give us tools to get it off bronze!" because the tools needed are already there. I used them.

To end my post, I'll contradict the OP's statement of "Never has the story been, "Then I wound up in Gold/Silver."". That's my exact story. One account, no smurf accounts, stated around the OP in sr, I'm in silver now and proud of it.

Proof: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20754508523

If I can? At my age? With my responsibilities that supercede playtime often? Can only imagine what you can do with a less crammed schedule of life.
http://prntscr.com/fetzyy
if you end up in bronze and can't generate enough impact per game to win then you probably belong there. players in bronze have no game sense, can't aim, can't listen for sound queues to determine player locations, etc.
All rank are the same, on gold, plat or lower diamond are trolls, leavers, smurfers, etc. Maybe is more funny play on bronce than there. Just relax man and have fun there, with the time you get better dont mind if your enemys are worse than bots.. you get best aim and game sense just with play. Just dont mind too much with the rank its just a number.
I hear you. I made it to 1700 season 3 and even though I've improved since then my SR after placements is 975. Sucks pretty bad. I get golds all the time, but my luck seems to be horrible.