Uninstalling Overwatch Because of Toxic Culture

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
This post is to simply make Blizzard aware that the culture among players is becoming overwhelmingly toxic. Reporting players for anger, foul language, and aggressive comments towards others is not enough. Being told by others to "go hump your dog" or to "go kill yourself" due to the level of play that they perceive amongst their team is unacceptable. It isn't acceptable on any level of game play, ranked and especially in quick matches. I am unaware of what type of monitoring you do or if you are able to track comments like those listed above, but players should be IMMEDIATELY banned for telling someone to go die or go kill yourself. I have yet to hear or see action like that taken.

Overwatch isn't unique in this way because it happens across many games, but I am tired of NOTHING being done about it. Blizzard is in a position to influence the gaming culture across the board and I hope that would. I am a big fan of Blizzard and have been playing ever since the first Warcraft, Diablo, and Starcraft games debuted. High quality and continuous content makes them the leader in the gaming industry in my opinion, but it is simply not worth it. I will be uninstalling Overwatch and all other Blizzard games. Consider this one customer lost.

I doubt this will do anything in the grand scheme of things, but I have to express my frustration and stand up for what is right and humane in hopes that it will help in some way.
06/03/2017 02:57 PMPosted by EnTaroAdun
This post is to simply make Blizzard aware that the culture among players is becoming overwhelmingly toxic. Reporting players for anger, foul language, and aggressive comments towards others is not enough. Being told by others to "go hump your dog" or to "go kill yourself" due to the level of play that they perceive amongst their team is unacceptable. It isn't acceptable on any level of game play, ranked and especially in quick matches. I am unaware of what type of monitoring you do or if you are able to track comments like those listed above, but players should be IMMEDIATELY banned for telling someone to go die or go kill yourself. I have yet to hear or see action like that taken.

Overwatch isn't unique in this way because it happens across many games, but I am tired of NOTHING being done about it. Blizzard is in a position to influence the gaming culture across the board and I hope that would. I am a big fan of Blizzard and have been playing ever since the first Warcraft, Diablo, and Starcraft games debuted. High quality and continuous content makes them the leader in the gaming industry in my opinion, but it is simply not worth it. I will be uninstalling Overwatch and all other Blizzard games. Consider this one customer lost.

I doubt this will do anything in the grand scheme of things, but I have to express my frustration and stand up for what is right and humane in hopes that it will help in some way.

Im just going to reply before the trolls get here, hope you find a game that has a decent community. let us know when you found it.
Sad to hear the toxicity pushed another player away. im sorry.
News flash: This community is a microcosm of society. It's not better elsewhere. Words can not affect you unless you let them. Stop being a weenie.
06/03/2017 02:58 PMPosted by Overrated
hope you find a game that has a decent community. let us know when you found it.

Warframe

the internet has salty people "Get over it"
they give you the tools to ignore, filter chat , disable chat for the over sensitive like yourself. You have no one to blame but yourself for not utilizing the features presented to you.
Say goodbye to all online games then.
Try the Nintendo Switch, no chat or voice chat for bullies to torment you in online games.
I agree that the level of toxicity is simply unacceptable when other players are telling you to go kill yourself. And this is from a guy who has lost his temper so badly that, in his frustration, has assumed that the other side must be cheating somehow when they curb-stomp him and his team without a fight.
Welcome to online gaming 2k17. The mute button is your friend!
It's a pretty sad statement that most of the replies to threads like these are along the lines of "oh well, that's just how the people are online."

Just because this behavior has become the norm doesn't make it anymore acceptable. It's really become one of the most irritating things about online gaming. People get told to "get a thicker skin" meanwhile the people doing the raging are never expected to self regulate and control themselves rather than unloading on strangers over the internet.

Sorry about this OP. I know the toxicity in this game can be irritating. The community really should be embarrassed by it.
06/03/2017 04:11 PMPosted by Hero
Welcome to online gaming 2k17. The mute button is your friend!

I'd be busy muting everyone instead of actually playing. Unfortunately, /hidechat is the only way to play this game as any off-meta.
every online game

ever
players should be IMMEDIATELY banned for telling someone to go die or go kill yourself. I have yet to hear or see action like that taken.

There is no live moderation in Blizzard games.

The reason you never hear about any disciplinary actions is because Blizzard will not discuss it with anyone but the player receiving the action, and the forums have a rule preventing any discussion of them.
You're going to have an extremely hard time finding a game with online play that isn't filled to the brim with toxicity. Really... this game is tame compared to other communities.

If you're looking for no toxicity, your best bet is to go single player only.
The mute functionality isn't there for no reason you know...
You'll just be back in a week, most likely. Or you'll never leave.

Good job spending $30-$60 on a game that you're going to uninstall for a stupid reason. Learn to deal with this stuff... How have you gotten through life if this offends you so much?
Entaroadun,

As an old time, gamer, I can relate on how people conduct themselves gaming compared to days past. After giving up MMO’s due to a certain unnamed MMO drawling people of all ages, it changed gaming forever. Gaming used to be about helping and sharing your time with people and having a good time.

Most of the people here today never experienced that and have no way to compare apples to apples. Believe it or not Over watch is pretty mild compared to some of the survival and other online games I’ve tried. Most of the time if it doesn’t have a single player feature I typically don’t bother.

Diablo III would be a good example of game that you could enjoy without the multiplayer aspect. I say multiplayer because all of them are like this, only typically far worse. Dust off that old Nintendo my friend, I played MMORPGs from 1997-to whenever that panda expansion hit. Since then I play FPS which I’m still bad out but take some enjoyment from it, but primarily focus on single player games and simulators, relaxing and making the best of my time when I can play.

Point is, while this shouldn’t be how it is, it’s the new standard and I only see it getting far worse, you’ll have to adapt or change to more single player games or private games with friends, it’s about your only option, but hear ya. It’s a shame.

Edit: I wanted to mention I have uninstalled three games because the community was so bad and never looked back. But I assure you it was twenty times worse then this :/ Survival games are normally the armpit of all gaming communities as a hint to the titles
I understand the way you feel, Blizzard really needs to find a way to fight toxicity.