Love Mystery Heroes - a few critiques

General Discussion
1 2 3 55 Next
Highly Rated
Personally, my favorite game mode. I really like forcing myself to play heroes I'm uncomfortable with. There are some headaches involved in Mystery Heroes though as many of you know. Let's see if we can address some of them and help make the mode even more awesome.

Some things I wish for...

First, we don't need the hero select countdown at the beginning. It's just silly and a waste of time.

Second, hero stacking is very annoying when you can't choose counters so perhaps only one of each hero per team?

Third, maybe bring a rudimentary team comp into the picture with some balancing algorithms I'm not smart enough to implement.

Oh and playing heroes in mystery heroes doesn't count for time played as a hero (this must be for all arcade modes?). I feel like I've got hours of Roadhog and McCree by now! I guess that would mess with people's rankings that care about that.

I know the sheer chaos is one of the draws for a lot of people but I think tweaking a little bit here and there would really make this mode shine. I should probably toy around with the custom game tools but just haven't gotten around to it.

Has anyone tried anything similar? What do you guys think?
We have a number of Mystery Heroes fixes on our to-do list. We're very eager to get to them but it just hasn't bubbled to the top of our priority list yet. We definitely want to get rid of suiciding to force a hero switch. We will also remove the "Assemble Heroes" wait time as there is no reason for it in this mode. We have some other improvements in mind as well.

I am curious how the community as a whole feels about some of the ideas you bring up. I know that it frustrates me when the other team ends up with 5 D.Va's. I also get frustrated when the enemy team has a balanced team comp and my team comp is less balanced. But perhaps that is part of the charm of the mode?

How do you guys feel about a purely random system (such as it works now) versus a mostly random system where we try to limit stacking and nudge the team comps towards something more reasonable? I can see arguments for both ways being compelling to different people.
Highly Rated
don't forget about throwing by pushing off the ledge in order to get the hero you want!
Highly Rated
06/08/2017 08:44 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
We have a number of Mystery Heroes fixes on our to-do list. We're very eager to get to them but it just hasn't bubbled to the top of our priority list yet. We definitely want to get rid of suiciding to force a hero switch. We will also remove the "Assemble Heroes" wait time as there is no reason for it in this mode. We have some other improvements in mind as well.

I am curious how the community as a whole feels about some of the ideas you bring up. I know that it frustrates me when the other team ends up with 5 D.Va's. I also get frustrated when the enemy team has a balanced team comp and my team comp is less balanced. But perhaps that is part of the charm of the mode?

How do you guys feel about a purely random system (such as it works now) versus a mostly random system where we try to limit stacking and nudge the team comps towards something more reasonable? I can see arguments for both ways being compelling to different people.

I would like the mostly random system in all honesty if it stacked and nudged the team comp to be more reasonable for both teams. What is everyone else thoughts on this?
I'd love something like a forced healer and tank in every team. Sometimes in my whole match I don't have a healer in my team, so we just lose. I also love your idea of getting rid of the hero select screen in that mode!
Highly Rated
Gotta love a Pharah on the enemy team when you have no hitscans.
Highly Rated

keep it completely random not everything has to be a competitively balance mode

EDIT BECAUSE THIS HAS VISIBILITY:

JEFF! JEFF! JEFF!

STOP LETTING SYMMETRA SHIELD GENS STACK IN NO LIMITS!

IT RUINS NO LIMITS!

thank you
Highly Rated
I personally believe this mode would be best if it remains mostly random, but would (1) increase the chances of a tank or healer if your team has little to none, and (2) decrease the chances of a hero if that hero is already in play on your team.
Highly Rated

I don't think there should be a limit. The unbalanced absurdity is the charm of the mode.

Is it possible for you guys to just decrease the chance of someone spawning as a character already on the team, and further lower it for every additional stack?

I like an almost purely random team comp, the only rule I would set is that your team will ALWAYS have a healer. This is one the big kickers in Mystery heroes, sure the enemy team has a bunch of Tanks and an Ana, and you might be able to try and defeat that comp since it's basically your set challenge, but it's almost impossible without any heals of any sort, giving you no chance whatsoever, completely wastes the chance to have a fun game, since you get roflstomped without one.
Highly Rated

Hey Jeff i think the charme of mystery heroes is to play heroes you're not familiar with without getting stomped, because others play unfamiliar heroes as well.
Its casual friendly and doesnt need to be too competitive. But what i kind of like to change that you dont get too many duplicates. Like i die with Winston get Zarya, die with Zarya and go back to Winston. I think thats pretty boring.
Highly Rated
I like a lot the way mystery heroes work right now - random. People who seek more order can just go play quick play or other modes. I really enjoy the unconventional team comps including hero stacking. I would be very dissapointed to see it go away.

What I absolutely agree with is getting rid of unnecessary wait times.

I'd like if it was something closer to balanced, to be honest. Not perfect balance, but maybe not five D.va's on the enemy team. Sometimes the team comp seems to really suck all the fun of out the mode and cause a roll to happen, when before it was a closer game.

The most important change though, I think, is removing the suicide til you get the character you want. Too many people do this to get their mains and removes the entire point of the randomness.

Well, apart from suicides, I only have ! other problem, the seemingly existent patterns E.g. Torb, Torb, Zen Mei, Zen, Rein Mei.

I also like forcing myself to play other heroes but COME ON!!
Mostly random would work best I think. Given that double Symettra shield gens stack.
Honestly, it just feels like a total crap shoot. I don't like it, don't play it.

It doesn't work because some heroes have stronger counters than others, or need stronger counters than others to deal with; and that can just end up with a match where one side gets the hard to counter heroes, and the other gets nothing that can get close to deal with them.

It's not even about tanks and healers at that point, it's just pure lottery which no element of ability can really have an influence on.
A little less randomness would be nice; too many matches are lost due to an essential role being unavailable. Maybe force a 1 dps, 1 tank, 1 healer minimum?

The bigger issue is lack of ults. This game puts a lot of offensive power into ults and defensive power into other abilities, so it makes the game more defensive.
We definitely want to get rid of suiciding to force a hero switch.

Thank you for this. Definitely kicks the fun out of some of my custom modes that I create where I would make it all random heroes, but I will "upgrade" one of them (eg: Winston gets 90% speed and 300% damage and 400% health but he can only leap and melee and use his ult).

Then I end up seeing the feed filled with suicides of people trying to get Winston, so I have to go through the lengthy process of buffing another character secretly like Bastion that litterally turns into a glass cannon that gets ultimate immediately but has only got 150 health but lots of speed.

But yeah thanks for this.

Edit: as for the whole random generation situation, it really is the charm of the mode and there is nothing you can really do about it, but that's imo.

This might sound really crazy but what if someone randomly changed character after staying as that character for too long? As in they change in the middle of the field? I've had games on mystery heroes where the healers barely get scratched due to our team getting torbs on attack and when someone finally gets Genji, they die before they get past the front lines.

I mean you could also ban all the healers so that the randomness can stay consistent on both ends, normally I find the team who gets the healer that survives the most wins. That could just be my experience though, I do find stacked heroes quite hilarious sometimes, for example 3 Tracer's or maybe 4 Zarya's.

I think some stability could go a long way. Pure anarchy has a habit of turning miserable in a hurry.

Maybe increase the chances of getting something like a Tank or Support as the team fills with more Offensives/Defensives? 'Course, which one you get will be entirely random still, and I feel that will make the experience feel a lot more stable as a whole, and still keeps that randomness fun.

It will also discourage suicides as instead of getting a hero that benefits no one, you have a better chance of getting something that will stabilize the game out. You'll still have the suicides from people who don't like the hero they play, but I think a lot of people do it just so they have another chance at getting that hero that will impact the game right away.

It's never fun to stomp or get stomped in Mystery Heroes, and that happens when one team gets a fantastic comp, and you have six situational DPS heroes. I think subtle limitations to what people can roll next in Mystery Heroes will help a lot.

That's my take, anyway.