short story: "Charlie"

General Discussion
Forenote: We don't know why Bastion was in that forest. Bastions don't retreat, so this particular unit may have spotted a target running into the forest, and chased him in there, and in the ensuing battle, perhaps something critical was hit, and unit E54 was forcibly shut down. Now, I know his short is titled "the last Bastion" but you're telling me this is the only scenario where this happened? I think not. Enjoy the story.

Drip.
Drip.
Drip.

Rebooting systems... SMG active...MG active...TANK mode ready for use... Self Repair online... Movement enabled... Unit E13 is fully restored.

"Hey.. Hey guys! Guys, it's waking up!"

Scanning Area... Three heat signatures detected.

For the first time in several years, unit E13's headlight flickered to life. Slowly, E13 turned it's head from side to side, observing it's surroundings. It was lying in a small cave with a very low cieling, sitting right in a small pit of water. Directly in front of it, a bunch of leaves covered the entrance to the cave, sealing E13 in darkness.

Outside, the sound of voices could be heard, changing tones, going from shocked, to scared, to excited. A second later, three splashes were heard, and the curtain of leaves was parted. A bright light hit E13 directly in the face, but it could still see just fine. the weilder of the light was a small child, a girl with long, stringy blonde hair, with big, scared blue eyes. Behind her, two others appeared; a tall boy with long messy brown hair and green eyes nearly hidden under the shadow of his sports hat, and to the girl's right, a boy with dark brown skin, his brown eyes wide and disbelieving.

Creaaak. Very slowly, E13 stood up, only to find he couldn't quite reach his full height due to the ceiling. Still, he was a giant to the children. The boy with dark skin shrieked and ran out of the cave, and the other boy stumbled backwards, falling into the water. The girl alone remained, her eyes fixed on the machine before her.

"Charlie?" She whispered. Tentatively, she took a few steps towards E13. Very slowly, she reached out a small hand and placed it over his headlight, blocking his view. E13 wasn't sure what it was supposed to do. There was a small map in the corner of it's vision with a marker on it, but it was blurred. Very gently, E13 raised it's hand and removed the girl's hand from his headlight. The girl stared at E13, not daring to breathe. E13 took her by the shoulder and moves her a bit to the right, granting it access out of the cave. It waded through the water, and then through a waterfall, into a river. The waterfall hid the entrance to the cave completely.

On the shore, the two boys stared at E13 in bewilderment, holding frail sticks in their hands. Unimpressed, E13 strolled by them. At it's full height, with a large, silver minigun on it's back, E13 was rather intimidating. It was covered in black crayon drawings, and written sloppily on it's chest was the word Charlie, with a heart drawn around it. E13 had no idea what this meant. It didn't care. It's primary objective was to get itself back in working condition. Unfortunately, it couldn't quite tell what the problem was. Wading over to the stream, E13 saw in the reflection that a few wires were hanging out at the base of it's neck, throwing off sparks. It's head was also slightly dented, and upon further inspection, E13 discovered it's memory chip had been crushed. It would need a new one.

"Why hasn't it started shooting us yet?!" The dark skinned boy hissed. "Isn't that what Bastions do?"

"Charlie is different," the girl said softly. "He would never hurt us."

"Sarah, seriously? That isn't "charlie!" It was nice to pretend he was our friend when he was, y'know, sleeping and all, but this is a killing machine! I read about them, they can transform into freaking tanks! "

"Whoa, really?" The other kid cried. "That's so cool!"

"No! It's not cool! We need to tell somebody! My grandfather fought in the war, he told me stories, and from what I've heard, Bastions are, like, super dangerous!"

"Charlie isn't dangerous," Sarah said, stomping her foot. She turned her big, blue eyes to E13. "Are you, Charlie?"

Woooo woop woop, E13 whistled. Both of the boys' mouths dropped and the girl laughed in delight and clapped her hands.

"Maybe Sarah's right," the boy with the hat said slowly. "I don't think Charlie would ever hurt us."

E13 stood up and began marching. There was supposed to be a nearby field, and on it, several spare parts, according to the map. The parts were several deactivated Bastion units that E13 could make use of. The kids chased after him, the boy with the hat and the girl were laughing, while the other boy was watching E13 carefully.

Caw. Caw. E13 turned it's head to see a crow on it's shoulder. The bird cocked it's head and pecked E13 on the head. Annoyed, E13 waved the bird away, where it flew over a rustling blueberry bush. Curiously, E13 took a step closer. There were sounds coming from the other side, heavy grunting and sniffing sounds.

"What is that?" The girl whispered.

"Guys, we need to leave," the dark skinned boy pleaded.

Slowly, E13 parted the bushes with his hand.

Instantly, the bushes exploded, and something shoved E13 aside, sending it flying and splashing into the stream. A black shadow charged by, unleashing a mighty roar. The girl screeched and tried to get away, but fell backwards into the river. E13's whole frame shook, and it stood up abruptly. Raising it's other arm, it fired the SMG. Within seconds, the bear had fallen, bleeding into the river. The girl sat in the river, staring at the bear. She began to sob, which turned into long, hiccuping wails. E13 wasn't sure what to do. It remembered what the girl did in the cave, and decided to test it out. Slowly, it reached out with his hand and placed it gently over the girl's nose. She sniffled, then suddenly stood up and gave E13 a hug.

"Thanks, Charlie. You're my hero." Gently, she planted a kiss on E13's headlight.

The rest of the walk was continued in silence, with the girl holding onto E13's hand. The dark skinned boy now walked freely besides E13, no longer afraid. They walked through the forest, as the birds watched curiously from the branches above.

After walking about five minutes, they reached the field. Upon reaching the first Bastion, E13 crouched down and removed it's memory chip, taking out his own and placing in the new one.

Instantly, E13's vision blurred, and it's headlight turned bright red. It's whole frame shook as it rebooted.

Primary objective added. Terminate all humans within sight.

E13 swivled to the side, placing the SMG directly between the girl's eyes, right on her nose. Her big, blue eyes widened, and her breathing ceased.

"...Charlie...?"

rat-a-tat-a-rat-a-tat

Primary objective completed. Secondary objective: Lone Bastion unit E54 located. Distance from current location: 213 miles.

Slowly, E13 marched back into the forest.
One day at Chick-fil-A

Roadhog walked into his favourite place to eat. The service, the clean atmosphere and no piggies on the menu is what he loves. While waiting for his food, they call his name saying his order is ready. He aims his hook at his trey to get his food, accidentally killing a worker in the process. He then tries again and gets his food. He then notices a woman hook her way to the front of the line and is amazed.

Roadhog- Hey, I have a hook too! Yours is cool :) What is your name?

???- My name is Widowmaker. I like your hook as well :0

Roadhog- Well hello, Widowmaker! I am Roadhog. I see you got a chicken sandwich too! You have a man or nah

Widowmaker- I used to, but I killed him

Roadhog- Well, that's kind of cool. Would you like to sit down and eat with me?

**Widow hooks her way to the seat across from him**

Roadhog- Omg you are so cool

Widowmaker- Thanks. You are pretty cool yourself :p

Widowmaker- I'm not trying to get ahead of ourselves, but if we had kids I could be called Hogmaker

Roadhog- I love a woman with a sense of humor! Do you think I can see you again after this?

Widowmaker- Sure!

Part 2 coming later
06/12/2017 09:15 PMPosted by Coulombe
One day at Chick-fil-A

Roadhog walked into his favourite place to eat. The service, the clean atmosphere and no piggies on the menu is what he loves. While waiting for his food, they call his name saying his order is ready. He aims his hook at his trey to get his food, accidentally killing a worker in the process. He then tries again and gets his food. He then notices a woman hook her way to the front of the line and is amazed.

Roadhog- Hey, I have a hook too! Yours is cool :) What is your name?

???- My name is Widowmaker. I like your hook as well :0

Roadhog- Well hello, Widowmaker! I am Roadhog. I see you got a chicken sandwich too! You have a man or nah

Widowmaker- I used to, but I killed him

Roadhog- Well, that's kind of cool. Would you like to sit down and eat with me?

**Widow hooks her way to the seat across from him**

Roadhog- Omg you are so cool

Widowmaker- Thanks. You are pretty cool yourself :p

Widowmaker- I'm not trying to get ahead of ourselves, but if we had kids I could be called Hogmaker

Roadhog- I love a woman with a sense of humor! Do you think I can see you again after this?

Widowmaker- Sure!

Part 2 coming later

Very moving. I'd add more details though. Certainly never seen a Roadhog and Widowmaker's ship before.
Wow. That's really dark. I like it :D

p.s.
There is a typo. "Why hasn't it started shooting us yet?!"
06/12/2017 09:22 PMPosted by Myrrh
Wow. That's really dark. I like it :D

p.s.
There is a typo. "Why hasn't it started shooting us yet?!"

Thanks, fixed it!