What's Blizzard's opinion on smurfs?

General Discussion
1 2 3 13 Next
I'm reading about this a lot lately and I'm not sure if it is perfectly legal or not.

I mean... It is their own money, so they should be able to do with it whatever they want, but sometimes the smurfs break the game, so...

Does anyone know if Blizzard has an "official" opinion on this?
06/14/2017 08:17 AMPosted by Argos
I'm reading about this a lot lately and I'm not sure if it is perfectly legal or not

Interesting choice of word here. I'm pretty sure that smurfing is not illegal.
They don't mind it. What they do mind is smurfs intentionally throwing games to get a low rank
What's Blizzards opinion on users that have multiple registered copies of the game, which all cost full price and had to be purchased legally?

I'll let you guess.
06/14/2017 08:26 AMPosted by Thanatos
This is Blizzard's stance on smurfing:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20753717332?page=24#post-475

Thx! :D
Okay so Im getting ready for the down votes, but here on console I have absolutely no remorse in smurfing And I ll tell you why :

- matchmaking has to be one of the worst. When I started the game I noticed I went pretty soon out of low ranks and started playing against people Lvl 100 to 600. Being Lvl 20 it did not feel good. Now that I learned you can make infinite smurfs on console I tried once To practise heroes I couldn't get to practise at my rank ( 3400-3500 ) and 10 games after I'm facing people even more annoying than what I had on main account.
Its exactly the same than when I started playing. And my newbie overwatch experience was one of the worst, playing low rank and QP was just undeniably a pain, but still I got it through with soldier but now I cant play anything other than him at master level. Now I'm trying to level up some genji tracer and pharah ( since Blizzard doesnt want to address those heroes on console I have no choice but to play them on this meta ) but I get quickly to people I used to fight when I was on my main account. Which is good so smurf get fast to the higher levels. But My genji pharah tracer is bad right now and when I see the people Im paired with when winning too much I strongly feel the forced 50% win. So I'm again at a stage where if I want to learn a hero I ll have to go through a tons of unsatisfaying games before getting good enough to carry my own team. Which is , in overwatch, quite a big task.

But then again, you can make Infinite smurfs for free so I guess we got that for console which is nice. My game experience is totally ruined by this weird matchmaking the fact we have no report system to denounce any kind of abuse makes OW console hard to be friendly with.

So for my own pleasure on this game I'm now creating smurf over smurf just to learn a hero because the system is so badly designed I can't progress like I should. Being good doesn't mean I should be put with people who has 400+hours when I just started the game. And It happened when I started the game, and now again on my smurf. So why should I go through all this pain just to learn another hero ? Well I don't I just create another smurf. Hopefully I ll be confident enough at some point to start using them on my main account but until something is done about the cancer that ow console is, I ll gladly create as many smurf as I can just to practise peacefully my heroes.

My experience when I started was ruined by smurfs and nothing was done about it. When complaining I was told that its the same for everybody deal with it. No report system made it worse, but now I learned it's actually tolerated. As long as you Pay OW again ofc, which im lucky because on console you just have to create another account user.

So yep, console is just left behind without real motivation from Blizzard to do anything about it ( took them one year to fix a broken aim system which is still broken mmh mmmh I guess how long they d take for less important issues ) so yes I ll take what I can.

Anyway, thanks forum For letting me know about infinite smurfs on console, been a long time I had not enjoyed overwatch !
What they do mind is anyone intentionally throwing games to get a low rank

fixed it for you...it's not solely relegated to smurf accounts.
06/14/2017 09:00 AMPosted by Djiny
Okay so Im getting ready for the down votes, but here on console I have absolutely no remorse in smurfing And I ll tell you why :

The game determines your skill that you're playing at and adjusts your opponents accordingly, even in Quick Play. If you're solely playing a new hero and getting to your main's SR, it means that you're good enough on that hero as it stands to be in that rank.

All you're doing by making smurfs after smurfs is using the several games before the game figures out what skill level you're truly at is destroying people who are actually new to the game and as such you're feeling like you're doing better when in reality you're not.
It's okay to make alt accounts as long as you legitimately try to win and work as a team. If you make a smurf account and throw all your placements to easily win games against lowbies, then you're griefing and can be rightfully reported.
http://imgur.com/gallery/gcJWK
Yeah smurfing isn't a punishable offense by any stretch of the imagination.

However throwing, which seems to have become synonymous with smurfing recently, is a punishable offense. Up to and including account termination.
Smurfs are fine Blizzard supports it, so people that dislike them need to get over it.
Having a second account you play on is fine. New accounts very rapidly adjust to play at the proper skill level.

Doing anything to manipulate your internal MMR or Skill Rating (i.e. Boosting or Throwing) is not fine.

Penalties for boosting and throwing are about to increase dramatically. Please report the behavior (reporting is being worked on for Console but is not ready yet).
Highly Rated
06/14/2017 09:24 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
Penalties for boosting and throwing are about to increase dramatically.

I certainly hope so
Having a second account you play on is fine. New accounts very rapidly adjust to play at the proper skill level.

Doing anything to manipulate your internal MMR or Skill Rating (i.e. Boosting or Throwing) is not fine.

Penalties for boosting and throwing are about to increase dramatically. Please report the behavior (reporting is being worked on for Console but is not ready yet).

woah there!! thanks papa jeff
Thanks Papa Jeph :)

Especially looking forward to that console reporting feature. Glad to hear that it is still in the works even with the MicroSony issues.

TY!!!
Penalties for boosting and throwing are about to increase dramatically.

This pleases me.
Thank goodness!! Had two games in a row last night with the same thrower. I didn't even bother reporting him but I guess I will now.

The problem is how can Blizzard actually tell if they are throwing?
reporting is being worked on for Console but is not ready yet.

This is a good thing