What's Blizzard's opinion on smurfs?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 13 Next
06/14/2017 09:24 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan

Penalties for boosting and throwing are about to increase dramatically. Please report the behavior (reporting is being worked on for Console but is not ready yet).
YEAH BABY
I figure smurfs are blue, blizzard is blue, probably fine with it.
HAVE MY BABIES PAPA JEFF
jk tho, i'ts awsome to see that you guys care about the people of this community to actually answer to the stance about this subject
Props to you the one and only holly kaplan, praise be the chosen GM player and waifu of all the hanzo mains
Having a second account you play on is fine. New accounts very rapidly adjust to play at the proper skill level.

Doing anything to manipulate your internal MMR or Skill Rating (i.e. Boosting or Throwing) is not fine.

Penalties for boosting and throwing are about to increase dramatically. Please report the behavior (reporting is being worked on for Console but is not ready yet).
good to hear, but could we please have something like a message that pops up if someone you reported gets punished. I think csgo had something like this, dont say the name or anything, just a "a player you reported has been...(suspended, banned whatever) would be nice imo.
this might be a ridiculous question but if i have to answer the phone and my character is standing around for 3 minutes or so and i get reported for throwing what happens?
Having a second account you play on is fine. New accounts very rapidly adjust to play at the proper skill level.

Doing anything to manipulate your internal MMR or Skill Rating (i.e. Boosting or Throwing) is not fine.

I bought a second account, mostly played arcade on my way to lvl 25. Placed 2100.

On my main account I've placed at and or reached master/GM every season.

Doesn't seem like I'll adjust anytime soon, especially with the changes to win streaks. And, y'know, everyone insta-locking dps when by my standards they're not particularly good.

why did it took so little time to work on report feature for exp farming?
06/14/2017 09:30 AMPosted by Swarth1900
this might be a ridiculous question but if i have to answer the phone and my character is standing around for 3 minutes or so and i get reported for throwing what happens?
Sounds like throwing to me, either let it ring, or play while talking, your intent doesnt matter far as I can tell, you are being punished for your impact on others.
06/14/2017 09:14 AMPosted by LyraTheDrunk
06/14/2017 09:00 AMPosted by Djiny
Okay so Im getting ready for the down votes, but here on console I have absolutely no remorse in smurfing And I ll tell you why :

The game determines your skill that you're playing at and adjusts your opponents accordingly, even in Quick Play. If you're solely playing a new hero and getting to your main's SR, it means that you're good enough on that hero as it stands to be in that rank.

All you're doing by making smurfs after smurfs is using the several games before the game figures out what skill level you're truly at is destroying people who are actually new to the game and as such you're feeling like you're doing better when in reality you're not.

Well I didn't see it that way. Its partially true because I'm still learning some basics of those heroes. Getting to know my hero and where he can go and how is easier and gives me more confidence at lower levels. As I said its mostly for hero I just never had the courage to learn since I was just rushing rank with soldier. I'm still a new player and have a lot to learn on this game, but learning phase feels better at low Lvl. Thats just how it is that's just how it feels. QP gave me PTSD I cant play it anymore without either : going rank/ switching back to main heroes. So how do I practise a new hero without going through the struggle I went when I first started the game ? I'm not saying playing against new player is good, Im just saying the system is broken. I had to go through all the smurfs and completely BS QP matchmaking before having finally rank where they had put me at 2500 when I had barely started the game. I'm telling you learning OW was something I was forcing myself through. I loved the game but thought their matchmaking had to be the worst possible ever. And It still Is.

The only way I found is smurf. And good thing we can have as many as we want on consoles.

Hopefully this will bring some light to Blizzard as to what console OW has become. Its full of smurfs throwers leavers trollers and there is nothing done about it. No counting the atrocious aim system they took a year to fix which still is broken, the unbalanced state of meta console ( We nerf some stationary objects like turrets but genji tracer pharah who are way more harder to hit remains exactly the same. No wonder #1 and #3 EU S4 were OTP pharah / tracer).

So yep if I can atleast have fun practising heroes I never touched in low level games to have a learning curve feel, instead of being stomped until I get good, why shouldn't i ? Especially when it's completely free.

I understand it's not a good thing but I feel totally different now that on the other side. Id rather have no smurfs at all but since its tolerated ( and free on console ) why shouldnt i ?

PS : didnt see blue but good thing about report. Please don't forget about aim, hitscans are my favorite but they are the hardest to play on console rn.
06/14/2017 09:31 AMPosted by BuddaǶ

Thats like comparing Apples to pebbles. A report feature on console takes a long time since there are a lot of hoops to jump through. Making it so people don't EXP farm is just a few changes in code. Totally different things.
06/14/2017 09:27 AMPosted by Sk3wlbus
Thank goodness!! Had two games in a row last night with the same thrower. I didn't even bother reporting him but I guess I will now.

The problem is how can Blizzard actually tell if they are throwing?

My guess would be the number of reports. If you're just not the best player, the game will adjust to match you with people of similar skill and you won't be accused of throwing because everyone is playing the same way. If you're throwing, however, it won't matter the skill level of the people you're placed with--it will still be obvious that you're throwing and they'll report you. Just a guess though.
06/14/2017 09:31 AMPosted by BuddaǶ

it took 60 hours if i recall correctly...
There's a difference between smurfing and having an alt account.
Smurfing is being at a higher skill level than where you are ranked, and deliberately /intentionally taking advantage of the skill gaps in order to make yourself feel good. A player with GM skill level, playing at Gold/Plat for example.

An alt account is fine though. If you made a new account and are actively trying to win, play games fairly, and aren't trying to abuse the competitive system, then there's nothing wrong with that IMO.
The most important part under PSN will be how to handle multiple accounts. XBL has the "feature" of single user gold subscriptions so smurfing is generally annoyingly expensive. For PSN though I hope they have a way to punish the whole game licence (or console). Of course innocents and baby brothers may be swept up in this but Blizzard is smarter than I am so I'm sure they can hit the right balance.

EDIT: I am actually 100% incorrect about Xbox Live. Gold is shared on console as of Xbox One's launch (or at least late 2013). I'll be leaving the original text above though to proudly display my incorrectness.
06/14/2017 09:27 AMPosted by DoctorLobo
reporting is being worked on for Console but is not ready yet.

This is a good thing

Yeah, it's only been a year.

Penalties for boosting and throwing are about to increase dramatically.

Really hope so.

I know someone who increases the ping time by 400ms on the router so the MMR is garbage, and once he hits comp, the ping delay is removed and he is now a "pub stomper" in the 500-900SR range.

Maybe Blizzard should tie MMR to your phone number or something.

Regardless of whatever penalties you end up implementing, can you please consider sending an ingame notification of some sort to the player(s) that send the reports in, basically saying "thanks to your efforts, a player has been punished for their behavior". The current lack of such feedback makes the whole reporting process feel pointless. Like this: http://i.imgur.com/pvgsubJ.gifv
06/14/2017 08:17 AMPosted by Argos
I'm reading about this a lot lately and I'm not sure if it is perfectly legal or not.

I mean... It is their own money, so they should be able to do with it whatever they want, but sometimes the smurfs break the game, so...

Does anyone know if Blizzard has an "official" opinion on this?

A$ if Blizzard would have an i$$ue with player'$ buying the game twice...

then you need to clearly define exactly what boosting and throwing are. as it stand with auto silence feature, enough reports of me throwing, whether i am or not, will get me punished without any human interaction unless i ask for it (even then ive never heard of a punishment getting reversed)