Advice on getting to Masters

Competitive Discussion
Prev 1 11 12 13 16 Next
Thanks for the advice!
Honestly all those things, i try to do but how can you achieve this while solo queuing, its like every other game i get paired up in the worst case scenarios, and for everything i go up, the second day i start to go down. As s silver level player i get paired with people at level 25 to 56 and gets frustrating when i get a Torb on my team thats level 35 that only uses him as dps. This scenarios are really common in lower levels, I really want to get out of Gold, but it cant depend only on one man.
never heal and always dps, they get all of the sr.
So I saw this thread... Nice and juicy advice, but let's see... how the things work on high gold/low plat in EU...

1) No worries, because almost no one using mic/chat.

2) It's a good and valid advice, sadly some still think comp is just QP, but better, so they go full Widow.

3) B-but... muh kills! So they go everywhere, because of the eliminations.

4) Aiming the supports... Usually that's happening, but they don't bother that much... It's mostly that team with Pharah which wins the match, because it seems no one can deal with her.

5) Because of the 1), usually it's quiet. Still, politeness appears at the beginning and sadly it vanished in the same moment the team realized the match isn't going that well.

6) Again, 1) - almost no one using, no one listening. But when you find somebody brave enough to talk, it's much better.

7) Fortunately I didn't have to deal with that in the game. People know they can be toxic without yelling.

8) I'm totally for switching heroes. But usually DPS are the one who are not carrying the game and I cannot simply choose one, because the team would be without heal/tank.

9) Usually I don't have problem with that, sadly the rest not always can follow me, or they are going Rambo for kills.

10) There's a problem with that... Sure, it can help you slightly, but not really with heroes who cause the most havoc, like Genji, Tracer and Pharah.

11) It's kinda a running joke of Hanzo and "trust me". Usually these players aren't that good, and after that they refuse to switch.

12) I know how much time it can take... I climbed from Silver to Platinum in season 4. The break after a clearly lost match is necessary, it may help you avoid to be place with the lost team once again... and that used to happen in earlier seasons.

Guess I can say: lucky you.
I'm not Masters but I did get Diamond this season with 15 W and 2 L's. So take my advice with a grain of salt if you will.

Sometimes if your mentality isn't well then you'll end up losing more then you should be. If you are struggling mentally then it might be best to take a break and wait for your mind to clear before playing.

If you've been tilted for awhile, it's best to go take a break whether it be a week or a month, it's up to you.

If you're having trouble with a character, there are guides on YouTube and you can post videos of you playing on the forums and people can give you advice!
11/20/2017 08:42 AMPosted by JoeStrife10
Honestly all those things, i try to do but how can you achieve this while solo queuing, its like every other game i get paired up in the worst case scenarios, and for everything i go up, the second day i start to go down. As s silver level player i get paired with people at level 25 to 56 and gets frustrating when i get a Torb on my team thats level 35 that only uses him as dps. This scenarios are really common in lower levels, I really want to get out of Gold, but it cant depend only on one man.

You can't achieve this when solo queuing -- you might be able to achieve this with a three man team.

Blizzard has done nothing to improve their matchmaking algorithms or the toxicity in the community for seven seasons now... so good luck.
So I saw this thread... Nice and juicy advice, but let's see... how the things work on high gold/low plat in EU...

Guess I can say: lucky you.

Is it luck if I do this for hours for three seasons in a row?
i would love to get to masters but cant get diamond because everytime i get close ppl leave in my game and i get punished by losing 30 sr due to other ppls actions
06/07/2017 09:19 PMPosted by HopsAlMighty

Six Second Pause.
Sometimes, you get called out for being a 'bad player'. Being defensive is the first thing that'll come to mind, but that very same survival component (our amygdala) is what drags us down to lose games. Most games are lost not because of the individual's lack of skill, but the tilt which tunnels the team's awareness and emotions.

Take a deep breath, count to 6.

Be the better man.

Praise the accuser for his 'good' gameplay if you have to, if it means preventing the situation from spiraling out of control. Know that you have the power of diplomacy to make or break the team, which is greater than mechanical skill alone. Critique on your gameplay, switch if you have to, avoid mistakes if you need to. Review your game when it's over. Identify your mistakes, as well as how you can improve on your future games.

Hope this helps!

Even then though, what if you are the better player, and you still have the 'bad player', repeatedly telling you that you are trash and lying to you and the team that they are carrying you and that they have gold eliminations or gold medals when in truth you or someone else has gold medals in this or that category?
On computer I’m not very high level and not doing comp yet but on Xbox it’s horrible I feel like I’m good enough to be diamond but every time I queue I get people throwing or are just plain bad at the game and I don’t think I’ll every make it out of gold because of this. Is there anything to do to help me climb with a community like this?
If it only was all this simple

Im silver on xbox one.. i keep having losing streaks.. Even if i have say 46 kills & 4 deaths as tracer or widow.. Play of the game, and doin just fine... Its just simply never enough..

People leave all the time, and not only 1 person.. its like a virus..As soon as one has left, 90% of the time more will follow..
People troll and throw all the time..

If i want to ask something i say "please" and in a rare case you do get a answer you get a answer like "!@#$ you" or so...
People on xbox dont use voice chat at all, people keep spamming "we need a healer" while they never be one..

Its just so simple if you are allready in a high level... But i started at 1600... Got myself up to 1900.... And since then im goin down and down
i was always in gold, but since season 5 its just terrible

On my ps4 account i play 2 seasons now on low plat...Play same characters..same playstyle.. And its goin fine..
I dont know what it is on xbox... (oh i always solo queue, all my friends allready deleted the game:()
pretty garbage tbh you didnt mention anything about meditation and self awareness and realization and u didnt even go to how skill works in your subconscious mind
except that no one in the entirety of blizzard matchmaking follows any of these points at all. except the first one maybe because they dont use voicechat in a team game all they do is type and they admire their gold medal with 6 kills and continue to lucio main when theres no other healer. because he has gold kills. this games a joke lol.
this game doesnt involve skill. you just need to get your ult and you can team wipe and if your team plays better as a team you win. Yet everyone thinks they are a pro because of this stupid medal system and they dont understand it. or konw how to read it. I advise everyone to play pubg or an actual realistic shooter game to judge their skill by. not this game.
I play symmetra mercy and orisa, my main issue is that people don't want to work with symmetra and I will switch to mercy but only if they ask politly in a calm voice. Any advice?
Reading all the last comments , here are some advice.

1) Stop thinking you are the carry of your team and if you dont perform at 101% you won't win. Playing safe and with your team actually improves your chances a lot, not trying to solo the enemy team.

2) You think Dps are the only carries yet you'll blame tanks/supports when you go Dps. See what i did there?

3) Drop your "i dont deserve this rank" mentality and lower your salty ego to the point where you'll just be playing to improve rather than just win. Doing so will allow you to FINALLY start to git gud and eventually the SR Rise and wins will follow.

4) Accept advice from your team. This IS rare so actually just listen to it. A 2nd point of view on your performance could tell you stuff you might not be noticing.
A quick example : "Genji they just switched to triple tank , could you maybe switch to something else?"
That's not saying you're underperforming , it just means you are getting plain out countered cause the enemy realized you are a problem.

5) You won't win 100% so stop getting mad about it.

Cheers.
Why people want to be higther rank then they are before wanting to be bettter than they are now?

- Because they feel like they are better than what there rank is.
- In almost case it's the true. You are able to play at highter rank than your rank but you won't be able to carry it. In fact, you will be the one that is pulling down others. By thinking like that, you can conclude that the reason why some people "sucks" is because they are not able to carry, they are not a major factor. (Rework here) You always need to remember that person may not be as good as you are and that if he or she got here it's because people before could play with he or she and win.

I have been low-middle diamond since the start of Overwatch. Every time I start climbing, I find a wall. The fact is, I can play to the extend of 3400 sr. But past that, I can't even follow, people start to blame me, insult me. Thus, my career hight is 3400sr but my real skills is more around 3000sr. I found the same pattern with the accounts of others. The way to determine if someone has progressed is by looking if he is been playing at his career hight for a while.

Oh yeah, playing at your career may result in faster improvement because you are going to be confront with people better than you without being enable to do a thing. Better than watching pros or dominating people under you.

- Because they are not able to aknowledge that there is stronger people than them.
- You know, I am sure that if your friend is stuck in bronze and ask you to elo boost him, you will be able to do it. (Sorry bronze player) At least to your average sr. And what is more, you will be able to do it with maybe 70% win rate. In the same way, Grandmaster could take your account and pull it to his current aproximative sr with the same 70% win rate. But hey, if they reason why you/your friend are not able to claim is trolls, leavers and elo boosted people no? So why are you/Grandmaster able to climb? It's only because you are more skilled. If you wonder where the trolls, leavers and "suckers" are, they are in the 30% missing. Note: Thoses numbers are more realiste if it's only a tier of difference. But, yeah, nothing is proven here.

I am bored of people thinking that they deserve better than what they are because they got 80% win rate with his or her friend account. I think that it is the worst disillusion.

I read some of the post here. Some are interresting others are just stupid. But one thing I most say: Most of the people does not understand the complexity of the ranking system. You could easly do master's degree on the subject. It's more than good communication and good attitude. They are only factors that might you help you win what you can. I don't even went to speak about the stupid posts that I read, you guys already debate for me.

At the end of day, it's not your rank that matter but more your actual skills. Your rank is an approximation. In my experience, +- 300 sr is what it looks like. If you want to climb, win those you can.

Note: I got more to say and there is things that are not exactly true or right but I decide to speak in spite of it. Hope you guys could help me clarify and nuance what I tried to say. (English is my second language)
great advice! :D
Here's my own guide i'v made on the matter hopefully it helps someone :D

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20759488225?page=1
12/04/2017 06:47 AMPosted by iDiez
Reading all the last comments , here are some advice.

1) Stop thinking you are the carry of your team and if you dont perform at 101% you won't win. Playing safe and with your team actually improves your chances a lot, not trying to solo the enemy team.

2) You think Dps are the only carries yet you'll blame tanks/supports when you go Dps. See what i did there?

3) Drop your "i dont deserve this rank" mentality and lower your salty ego to the point where you'll just be playing to improve rather than just win. Doing so will allow you to FINALLY start to git gud and eventually the SR Rise and wins will follow.

4) Accept advice from your team. This IS rare so actually just listen to it. A 2nd point of view on your performance could tell you stuff you might not be noticing.
A quick example : "Genji they just switched to triple tank , could you maybe switch to something else?"
That's not saying you're underperforming , it just means you are getting plain out countered cause the enemy realized you are a problem.

5) You won't win 100% so stop getting mad about it.

Cheers.
This entire thread is crap, none of these suggestions are going to help anybody if they have a leaver each match, the healer gets pissed off and throws because somone said there healing sucked or the dps couldnt hit water if they jumped out of a boat.

Literally none of this helps.