Advice on getting to Masters

Competitive Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 16 Next
06/08/2017 10:49 AMPosted by Balsty
My biggest tip that helped me get to Masters.
Stop watching your SR and paying so much attention to it
When you let go of it, your SR will no longer affect how you play. Most people tilt hard between tiers because they'll be saying "if I can win one more game I'll be in the next tier!" and they end up losing, and then they lose some more.

This was be when I was so close to diamond last season. I went into the "just one more game" mindset and it played out poorly for me.
06/09/2017 12:21 PMPosted by Kanon06
06/08/2017 10:49 AMPosted by Balsty
My biggest tip that helped me get to Masters.
Stop watching your SR and paying so much attention to it
When you let go of it, your SR will no longer affect how you play. Most people tilt hard between tiers because they'll be saying "if I can win one more game I'll be in the next tier!" and they end up losing, and then they lose some more.

This was be when I was so close to diamond last season. I went into the "just one more game" mindset and it played out poorly for me.

I hear that. Season 3 I had a 15 game losing streak. I was so tilted but I kept playing telling myself I would stop when I finally won. I rage quit at 2am not having won a game in hours. My SR plummeted nearly 400 points that night and I never recovered it.
Since this is pinned maybe pin the "help for the lower ranks" thread?

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20753916980#post-1
06/10/2017 05:59 AMPosted by Sasori

If that's gonna happen I'll be very busy on this forum lol :D

Thanks for the love tho! Appericiate it.

And done! Thanks for the recommendation.
06/10/2017 08:43 AMPosted by Zoevia

And done! Thanks for the recommendation.

OMG I feel SO exited now :D

Thanks a lot Zoevia! I hope I can help way more people this way!
06/10/2017 06:58 AMPosted by StRode

If that's gonna happen I'll be very busy on this forum lol :D

Thanks for the love tho! Appericiate it.
it's well deserved, gave me a new outlook on comp and some genuine improvement that got my confidence up. Good job
1. Always run a full comp of DPS
2. No healers
3. No tanks.
4. Pray that someone will carry you
5. Have FUN!
Take it from me play dps don't fill healer because you get less Sr wait for someone else to play healer!!
Aggression control is key. Sometimes the team has to be gung ho, sometimes you have to fall back.

Never be afraid. They are not real people and the worst that happens is that some pixels get redistributed.

Be aware of the time. Nothing worse than seeing team mates dither on the edge of a point for the entire time the overtime is running down

If you see the overtime clock running down and you can be on the point or payload go to it. Don't assume someone else will do it. Sure you may last only a second or two but that maybe enough for 5 of your team to get there and put up a fight which they may win.

Don't lose in the spawn. Games can be drawn. Games can still be won even if you only move the payload 50 Metres or only get 34% of point A. Don't turn a possible loss into a definite loss by trolling, flaming or throwing. Even verbally despairing could lose you the game.

The amount of times I have seen both teams equally bad at defence/offence is staggering.
Why should I listen to a bunch of people who are not Masters and above talking about how to make it to masters and above?
06/11/2017 03:15 AMPosted by K33N
Why should I listen to a bunch of people who are not Masters and above talking about how to make it to masters and above?

You know how many people in diamond were master once?

Especially in high diamond, more than halve of the people were master.
I'd like to throw in a tip that really helped me out on my way up the ranks, from mid-Plat through to Grandmasters: do less.

It's always tempting, especially when you're stressed or worried for the outcome of the game, to try to do more. Carry harder, shoot more, etc. The trouble is, in practice, a lot of this effort is wasted, and might even hurt your performance. If, instead, you try keeping your camera steady, and don't bounce around like a jack-in-the-box, you'll save your energy for those handful of situations where you DO need to move like the wind.

Also remember that you have a team for a reason - if somebody on the enemy team is giving you grief, don't be afraid to say to your team "Hey, guys, that Pharah is bombarding me, and I could get a lot more healing done if you can keep her off me. Thanks!" I hope this helps, great thread, props to Blizz for pinning it. ^-^
06/11/2017 03:15 AMPosted by K33N

Alex Ferguson was a 'Gold' equivalent soccer player but the best league soccer manager who ever lived.

Tactics comes under brain. Skill comes under hand and eye (brain helps, naturally, but the cure for cancer is safe from most sportsmen).
Got to 3400 and dropped back to 3176. Doesn't seem like what I do, I always end up with one DC afk or onetrick. What should I be doing then?
Well till blizz does something about leavers I will be stuck in bronze. Can't win short handed. Also I find it much better to mute your team and just play the game.
06/12/2017 08:56 AMPosted by DOOMFIST
Well till blizz does something about leavers I will be stuck in bronze. Can't win short handed. Also I find it much better to mute your team and just play the game.

Don't give yourself excuses. I was at 611 in March, now (at time of writing) at gold.
Another useless post about how greeting your team in a polite way and thinking about when to press Q will get you into top 2-4% of playerbase.
Sorry to dissappoint, diamond is about as high as your average dedicated fps player ever gets.

Well, such threads do have an actual effect > they boost people's morale abd encourage them to tryhard again. So you supress your anger, get yourself together, try being polite, cooperative and nice... just to get into hopeless losestreak with sombra trolls and hanzo mains who refuse to listen :) The more you hope, the harder it gets when you fall!