Advice on getting to Masters

Competitive Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 16 Next
oh cmon , the problem of ranked it's people itself

they are annoyed to play 6 dps in QP and want some healing and shielding.They jump into the game , make a comp ( not always with a sense )
and going to play--
and then CoD mode starts. People just Run Die, getting excited/frustrated - want to come back in battle again -> so this happens to endless trickling battle

till offence does not push too close to resp where Def has actually an advantage OR enemy tean WIPE you out, so you kinda grouped up again and can start new attack.
90% are less than diamond player , and so they play in casual way.
Diyng does not mean anything, you don't lose tine or Ult charge
so people don't even bother so much

The concept of disengaging matters only in Masters

2-3 of teammates
are dead, no point to stay and risk to die , to make next fight 6v4-5 again
But plats don't get it

I think the only problem is to make
SoloQ
3 Q
6 Q

trust even waiting for 15minutes its still more positive expirience for 1 game then insta lose 3 in hero seletion or with a leaver
Can someone please help me to climb back up?
At season 5 start I was placed at 2056, I climbed till 2331 but because of trolls and match throwers and bad teammates I ended up dropping to 1877(now afraid of playing competitive).
I gave every match my best with trying my best to communicate with teammates...but all went in loss! Even getting damage done gold as a support!
My friend who was carried to plat by a season 3 top500 says you are a looser and will never reach platinum...
I believe I can but I need your help...
Please can someone help!!!
I Feel like this is my issue too. I'm not good enough to carry all 5 other people. I often get 5 golds on lucio. I placed at 2100 and am now stuck below 1900. I feel like I am probably a platinum player, no higher than that, but i can't even get anywhere close to that rating. At the 1800 rating, i sometimes go full matches without dying once, but it doesn't matter if you team has no damage and you've got widow, hanzo, bastion, torb on attack. I'm probably at around a 25% win percentage, which shouldn't even be possible in this game.
Number one tip anyone can take with them, and I wish I wasn't trolling in saying this, but a good luck charm, that the enemy team has more griefers than your own.
How To Preveiw my Message
best advie\ce, get a 6-7person team and have them be adjustable, other then that good !@#$ing luck with all the leavers, throwers, deranking smurfs
I don't agree. The game has been out long enough that most people stuck in lower levels have tried everything. This thread is for new people to give them false hope to keep playing Comp. The truth is the Comp system is broken and the game is losing players all the time, big name streamers too.
I want to see a GM take a bronze account with poor MMR and do the things you have suggested. No one who is sane has patience for the win/loss% the match making system tries to keep you at. After all if it really was as easy as determination and perseverance with a positive attitude then there wouldn't be anyone in lower ranks. So your ideology is flawed. If a GM can take some rando bronze account with poor MMR and get it to GM by doing the things you have said then I will believe it is a fare Comp system that allows ones skills and learning curve to slowly carry them up. Percentage wise, more people go down in SR over all then up. It would be interesting for you to share statistics of how many people actually climb up in Ranking vs how many go down. I believe it will be one sided in the negative and this is why there are so many trolls and leavers.
08/02/2017 05:45 AMPosted by Kazira
I don't agree. The game has been out long enough that most people stuck in lower levels have tried everything. This thread is for new people to give them false hope to keep playing Comp. The truth is the Comp system is broken and the game is losing players all the time, big name streamers too.
I want to see a GM take a bronze account with poor MMR and do the things you have suggested. No one who is sane has patience for the win/loss% the match making system tries to keep you at. After all if it really was as easy as determination and perseverance with a positive attitude then there wouldn't be anyone in lower ranks. So your ideology is flawed. If a GM can take some rando bronze account with poor MMR and get it to GM by doing the things you have said then I will believe it is a fare Comp system that allows ones skills and learning curve to slowly carry them up. Percentage wise, more people go down in SR over all then up. It would be interesting for you to share statistics of how many people actually climb up in Ranking vs how many go down. I believe it will be one sided in the negative and this is why there are so many trolls and leavers.

I climbed my own account from low gold to masters over a period of time. And then because my friend was stuck in high bronze I pulled him up to platinum in one long play session (he obviously dropped down after bc he didn't belong there), but that proves the point that if you're skilled enough you can make your way up.

Now I'm no Seagull or anything and I certainly aren't at GM skill level yet (I hang around mid-masters when I play), but I still managed to pull an account out of bronze in a day.

The thing that's wrong with competitive isn't the matchmaking (not that I'm saying its anywhere near perfect), but it's people's perception that EVERYONE can (or should be able to) make it to masters and GM if they try. It wouldn't be masters if everyone could get there. Master players and above are supposed to be the top 2ish percent of all players, so people need to realise that not everyone can make it there.

(Also there's a big problem with people thinking if you're in gold you're bad, when this is totally not true. Gold is where the majority of people sit)
08/02/2017 05:45 AMPosted by Kazira
No one who is sane has patience for the win/loss% the match making system tries to keep you at. After all if it really was as easy as determination and perseverance with a positive attitude then there wouldn't be anyone in lower ranks.

I went from Gold to Bronze in season 3, in one week. In season 4 I stayed in Bronze since I wasn't trying my hardest. In season 5, I got Plat in 4 days. I performed so well that I got 50 SR per game. I won so many games that my winrate actually got to 61% on Soldier at a certain point. Now I am at the the level I deserve. I get 20 per loss and win. That means I've went passed a threshold. Just duo queue with a support main or get a good DPS player if you're a support main.

You're just too burnt out. Go take a break. Get yourself together and get in the game. You got this. You're still level 50. You have so much to learn. You always get way too high for placements. Just do QP till you're ready. Train and don't force yourself to comp if you're not ready. That was my first mistake. Atleast get to level 100 before you actually comp for real.
Thanks OP, I got some really good information from this post. Cheers.
08/05/2017 11:59 AMPosted by Schoe
Thanks OP, I got some really good information from this post. Cheers.
No need to lie
06/08/2017 06:31 AMPosted by ITSamurai
Why is a Mid-Plat player giving advice on how to get to Masters? Don't get me wrong it's good advice but will come off as very misleading to some.

06/08/2017 06:35 AMPosted by Alias
3700 is not high master, it's on the low end of mid. And you're 2700 this season. I bet you were 3650 and rounding up to 3700.

Just speculating to nitpick.

Most of it is good stuff, I soloQ'd to 3840 last season (actually "high master").

1. Because all people can give advice no matter their rank.
2. If your so mighty and good, might help giving some advice out instead?

Otherwise, this is a very good forum that should be kept at the top! GJ devs
My advice, sacrifice something, blood to the blood god maybe. I don't know, it's all about luck at this point, the deviation in skill of one player of the same rank to another is so stupidly large that these SR tiers are far beyond mattering, and being indicative, let alone accurate of anything. Devs will just keep telling us that the (forced) 50% win rate means all the games have been good, no issues, nothing to change. Even if there's a massive piece of the community speaking about he issues with comp. Devs will ignore that, remember, people are close to 50% win rate, that means everything is fine. Performance based SR isn't an issue, etc etc Blizzard has so obviously showed they don't want to work with this game in any kind of competitive manner. People hated the one shot on a 6-8 sec cd. They added DF with a 4 sec one shot instead. Not to mention he's a melee character, and many know melee characters in OW have absolutely ridiculous hit reg. Between Rein hammer, Genji blade, etc. Now they added a character based on melee, and you can already see the ridiculous inconsistency with his 4 sec cd one shot, where some walls will impact a player others wont, the hitbox is ridiculous (you can kill a DF and still die to his charge). I could go on and on, how at almost every step along the way, with all these balancing periods, patches, etc. That Blizzard really does show not to give two flying !@#$s about this game being competitive.
This advice doesn't work until the MMR system is fixed...and it is garbage right now.
Sounds good, doesn't work.
How to get out of platinum/diamond.
1. Get extremely lucky.
2. Realize you aren't lucky and are going to repeatedly get throwers and leavers.
3. Queue with a premade.
4. ????
5. Welcome to GM.
08/13/2017 11:38 PMPosted by Starkmalark
Sounds good, doesn't work.
How to get out of platinum/diamond.
1. Get extremely lucky.
2. Realize you aren't lucky and are going to repeatedly get throwers and leavers.
3. Queue with a premade.
4. ????
5. Welcome to GM.

I have about eight times as many hours as you do (roughly 150 hours).
Some of my advice is from a GM.
I think that I am right, seeing as how I got to diamond season 3, and masters season 4 / 5. I seldom played competitively prior to season 3.

If you practice mechanical skill as well, yes you can carry teams more easily. I'm not saying everything I listed needs to be followed every game. They are great traits for players to have at their disposal. New players to competitive could help themselves early on by embracing most or all of these as fundamentals.

Also, this has created a lot of discussion, which I am glad to see! :)

Some tips with heroes:

Mercy - Try to stay behind your team. You rarely want to dive forward unless your team is advancing and got some kills. Mercy is pretty easy to pick. I think of her placement as a radius or distance from your nearest teammate. This way, if you dash behind a teammate while you're being chased, it will put your teammate in front of the enemy. This gives you more time to get away, heal / damage boost your teammate(s). Only damage boost when your team is winning the fight! Healing can be much better because it increases the chances of your teammate surviving.

When you have your ult, you should only use it for solo rezzing if you can find a lot of compelling reasons, such as: whether or not your rezz'd teamate makes the difference between your team winning the current fight; how much having that extra teammate alive again helps push or defend a payload / point. Otherwise, try to save your ult for at least two people dying. You want to be hiding behind walls or areas that are nearby to the fight, but not likely where the enemy would suspect you'd be.

Solder: 76 - Practice aiming for head-shots! A soldier that can aim can halt entire teams. Save your healing pad for when you and your teammates need to heal. Save your healing pad for your ultimate. Place it just before you find a good spot and time to ult and are about to press Q. Use it. Your ammo reloads when you ult - fire everything in your clip if you can before ulting, you're about to get a new one for free.

D.va - A good D.va can keep most heroes out of combat for at least a little while. Good for countering a Phara, for instance. I try to use a 50-50 rule, where I only use 50% of my matrix if there isn't much oncoming damage. This almost guarantees that you'll have enough matrix juice to eat a Zarya, McCree, or Phara ult. Having a little bit of matrix juice left can make the difference to your team surviving a team fight. Alternatively to something like the 50-50 rule, you can just try to keep track of how long it's been since your enemies last used their ults. Figure out if you'll need some of your matrix soon, and save it if so. This increases your chances of eating your enemy's ults! :D Don't forget to use your rocket boost to do some damage on people if you're able to.

Winston: Like a lot of heroes -- D.va's boost especially -- you'll want to keep Winston's jump off cool-down as much as you can around combat. For Winston, this can mean using the jump sparingly before combat. Jump into a good spot if needed, then walk to the enemy or drop down on them when the time is right. (Obviously you can use his jump much more, the cool-down is only 5 sec.) The idea is that you use the jump as little as necessary prior to combat, so you can get away by jumping if needed or jump to any targets / allies nearby. Save your shield for when you jump into some enemies if possible. Otherwise, use it to save you and your allies when needed. Rage is a fun ultimate; using it can be tricky sometimes.

I've noticed that if you jump while attacking, you can often times hit the enemy in the same direction you're headed. They usually travel at the same speed as well or velocity. This means you hit them once during the jump, then during the jump midair before you land, you can hit them again. Any other methods for hitting your enemies off the map, or hitting them into a corner and beating them senseless is great, too. Don't be afraid to jump away if you've rage'd and you're getting shredded. Your healers get a lot of ult charge for healing you while you're ulting with 1000 HP.

Lucio - Save your boost (E) when your team needs to either get into or out of an area, or when they especially need healing. Ideally your teammates are around Lucio as much as possible. His healing is impressive when the team is near him. Use speed boost sparingly, unless your team is full health or trying to get a pick by driving the enemy team back after winning a fight. The ebb and flow of Lucio's combat is pretty straightforward overall: when your teammate's HP are full, use speed boost. Otherwise, use healing boost. This is a simple formula to follow that works most of the time. Lucio's ultimate is amazing as well, since even if the enemy team has an Ana, the sound barrier will still try to protec.

Phara - Practice your aim from a distance. Phara can get some useful pics from far away. You'll want to practice your agility. Phara deals a lot of damage very quickly close up. If you can practice dodging, then it will go along way with picking average + slightly above average hit-scan / snipers. She can also take a lot of damage quickly by a good hit-scan / sniper, so remember to switch off Phara if you're getting countered. (A D.va, Widow, McCree, and / or Soldier would all make your life miserable; sometimes, there isn't much else than to switch off.) If they have any sort of hit-scan or sniper, then you'll want to note where they are when you ult. I try to be sneaky, and save my projectile (E). This way, I can slowly emerge from out of the enemy's sight, press E and get to all of them quickly, then use barrage on the support or other heroes that would be the greatest threat. Phara is extremely vulnerable while she's ulting, so keep that in mind when you're trying to setup your ult. Even if you have a Zarya ult to combo with your Phara ult, it could still be a great idea to be out of sight of the enemy while you're ulting them.

Zenyatta - OK so basically all of the ranged heroes you just need to practice getting head-shots. There's no secret to that. I like to imagine my hero is perpendicular to the ground, and where I'm aiming for is parallel to the ground. Usually this can help, at least for me, align head-shots. I spam Zen's disco-orbs and harmony as much as necessary. If you can call out your disco-orbs, it can help your team focus fire. Zen's disco-orbs are designed to make the enemy team dance, so use them. They are amazing.

Try to save your ult for a Zarya, Genji, or Mei ult. Using it to live can be OK sometimes, but you really need to consider the pros-cons of that moment: are you going to heal much? Are you going to be able to escape? Are you and your team going to do much damage if you ult, and live? Having a Zen ult ready for a Genji ult, for instance, can make a significant impact on whether your team is going to win the fight.

Hopefully this helps some people, maybe even makes them approach the game differently. What do you think?

http://i.imgur.com/4Zwh0GH.gif
07/28/2017 07:34 AMPosted by X76
Can someone please help me to climb back up?
At season 5 start I was placed at 2056, I climbed till 2331 but because of trolls and match throwers and bad teammates I ended up dropping to 1877(now afraid of playing competitive).
I gave every match my best with trying my best to communicate with teammates...but all went in loss! Even getting damage done gold as a support!
My friend who was carried to plat by a season 3 top500 says you are a looser and will never reach platinum...
I believe I can but I need your help...
Please can someone help!!!

That jerk will clearly fall to silver eventually so don't bother. Basically every quote from Zenyatta is a good tip for competitive Overwatch.
A