Why permabanning Leavers is a bad idea

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 9 Next
06/08/2017 03:49 PMPosted by Meringue
06/08/2017 03:44 PMPosted by Speirs

"I have good connection so !@#$ everyone else." Don't be such a **%@#!@%.

I have sympathy to anyone with poor internet, theres little you can do about it in the US with the glorified cartel scheme they run, a monopoly in each area. Not gonna change without a full scale Democrat take over of all three branches, either, which seems unlikely.

But....

When you DC, it does ruin the experiece for 5 other people. So I do agree with the system being fairly strict if they're not going to exempt people from SR loss. Personally, I always felt only the leaver and anyone in a group with the leaver should actually lose SR. I dunno how punishing total randoms is a good idea.

Politics has nothing to do with this....
"A friend of mine who loves playing Overwatch has big BIG internet issues. For every competitive match we do, every 3rd match a disconnect is happening"

sounds like he deserves a perma comp ban
06/08/2017 02:51 PMPosted by Speirs
I agree, I had three power outtages this weekend alone. I would have been banned for nothing. Also the majority of leavers are people who have disconnected from the game unintentionally.

wheres this data that states your leavers are mostly, "disconnected from the game unintentionally?" We have never had any such data released to the public. Oh, your full of it, i get it. nice!
06/08/2017 04:01 PMPosted by Yojimbo
I agree, I had three power outtages this weekend alone. I would have been banned for nothing. Also the majority of leavers are people who have disconnected from the game unintentionally.

wheres this data that states your leavers are mostly, "disconnected from the game unintentionally?" We have never had any such data released to the public. Oh, your full of it, i get it. nice!

Oh, You're passive aggressive, I get it. Nice!
The hell man? Toxic already?
People arguing against harsh leaver penalties are likely young and will have to learn some hard real world lessons or they will suffer in their careers

It's exactly like crappy employees who complain about facing penalties at work for attendance problems that they "couldn't" control - they act like it's a crime to write up or term someone who misses work due to an illness or transportation issue, or to force someone to choose between a family event or getting let go or written up while ignoring how all their leeway was used up with 6 other absences in the last two months
If you know you have conection issues you shoulnt play comp. You are not only wasting your game, but anothers 5 player's. The game already have a tolerance for said tecnichal issues, but if you go beyond that you are cleary doing on porpose.

if you have power outages, dont play comp. its that simple and even jeff has stated that. you are not only affecting yourself but 5 others as well...
If your internet is balls or you DC regularly stay out of competitive. Either that, or Blizzard should create some sort of troll queue where you get placed if you leave too often. Long queue times and get placed with other leavers.
I agree with you. People with bad connections can't help the connection but they are just as bad as people that leave on purpose. Being in a 6v5 even for 2 min enough time for a team to give up. I feel they should have a dedicated lobby of other people who get lagged out.

06/08/2017 03:53 PMPosted by Seefer
If his internet is that crappy maybe he should not play competitive, not to be harsh but if it always disconnects it is a detriment to the team.
06/08/2017 02:55 PMPosted by combataz
people like u, that are aware of their internet issues should simply not play ranked, simple as that.
or do u think the other 5 ppl care about ur internet issues?
get ur sht together or leave it.

im looking forward to that permabann

Agreed.
06/08/2017 03:51 PMPosted by asaquebrada
people like u, that are aware of their internet issues should simply not play ranked, simple as that.

not everyone can afford good internet lol

Again, it is a luxury product - can't afford to play the game while meeting it's other requirements? Then don't play - it's like complaining about marina fees when owning a boat
06/08/2017 02:58 PMPosted by Thphlstr
06/08/2017 02:55 PMPosted by ULóST
my computer has blue screen a couple times as well i wouldnt want to be banned for these issues

This is 100% your fault. This is perfectly fine to be banned for. Fix your computer.

It is NOT perfectly fine. What if the RAM/GPU went bad all of sudden? Not every case should be treated equally.
Sort your internet connection out, if it's bad enough that you have a history of getting season banned then no one else is to blame but you.
06/08/2017 04:12 PMPosted by YoursTruely
This is 100% your fault. This is perfectly fine to be banned for. Fix your computer.

It is NOT perfectly fine. What if the RAM/GPU went bad all of sudden? Not every case should be treated equally.

The game/computer crashes and you get an SR penalty and a temporary ban from comp?

This has actually happened to me, my video decided to die mid-match. I sucked it up and dealt with it, because it was my problem.
06/08/2017 04:05 PMPosted by Chaghatai
People arguing against harsh leaver penalties are likely young and will have to learn some hard real world lessons or they will suffer in their careers

It's exactly like crappy employees who complain about facing penalties at work for attendance problems that they "couldn't" control - they act like it's a crime to write up or term someone who misses work due to an illness or transportation issue, or to force someone to choose between a family event or getting let go or written up while ignoring how all their leeway was used up with 6 other absences in the last two months

Don't be that guy. This is a video game, not everything needs to be a life lesson.
06/08/2017 04:30 PMPosted by Fire
06/08/2017 04:05 PMPosted by Chaghatai

Don't be that guy. This is a video game, not everything needs to be a life lesson.

What he said ^^^
Just understand, there IS no perfect answer, no way to 100 percent always determine whose connection sucks, who had a power outage, and who just pulled the plug because he got tired of playing.

I've seen people get banned over connection problems and I've seen people leave because they were losing and didn't want to bother to fight it out. Once I left a placement match because for the second time in a row I got teamed up with one of the most toxic players you could ever have the misfortune of having on your team, and I got a brief suspension for that.

What's the right answer? I don't have it. But at times the system is too lenient, and at times it's too harsh.

At the very least there should be some form of connection quality monitor in the game, and that averaged connection quality should be a factor in determining what should happen to you should you get dropped or leave.
06/08/2017 03:51 PMPosted by asaquebrada

not everyone can afford good internet lol
then don't play online games then you/they can't afford it
06/08/2017 04:12 PMPosted by YoursTruely

What if a one-off occurrence happens? Then you deal with the consequences and then move on - it's just like getting hit with an uninsured driver or more to scale, getting pooped on by a crow

But there are consequences and you gotta deal with them

If you get popped for speeding, but it's because your gauge isn't working, then that's on you - they *could* issue a warning, but having the expectation that your tictet will be dismissed is just naïve