Define Boosting

General Discussion
Seriously, there should be a place we can access the full definition of this bannable offense and all other bannable offenses.
it usually means playing on another person's account to get them up to a desired rank, level, tier, or status.

for example, Johnny buys a copy of Overwatch, and Jimmy says "hey bro I'm a Grandmaster, I can get you to Masters ez". Johnny says "sure, Jimmy, go ahead." boom; Johnny is now in the Masters rank in comp and has never played the game before.
06/14/2017 11:38 PMPosted by Kom
Seriously, there should be a place we can access the full definition of this bannable offense and all other bannable offenses.
Boosting is when a player pays a third party website to level up their rank. Basically, they pay for how many ranks they want to go up to, for example, if you're in bronze and you want gold, it might cost 300$ or so. And once they pay the website, someone does the matches for the payer. The person doing the matches very likely might use some sort of cheats to get to the certain rank quicker.
Intentionally ranking up a lower skilled player into a ranking that they are well below par on by playing on their account or by que a vastly superior player with them in order to directly raise their SR. I had to add that second part because there are actual services that sell co-op as an option where they use an account in your SR range but the player is grandmaster.
when you duo with a smurf that is much higher ranked is boosting too in my view.

I have seen on a stream a silver player stacking with grandmaster smurf and geting really easy wins on stream (the gm was doing everything obviously). That allowed the guy to reach plat, but misteriously, when he solo que's he drops below gold elo.
Yeah these are all probable definitions of boosting. But I want Blizzard to tell me what boosting is, I know it probably is not the case but will me playing comp with someone ranked higher than me be considered boosting?
Boosting is when you play on your account with someone lower rank and carry them to a rank higher than where they would normally be if playing solo or with people his own "skill". This is allowed as long as it is not for real money currency I believe. That or its completely OK because if you can play together then the game allows it and its not wrong. For instance, a diamond player can play with a gold and its fine because they are within 2 ranks and the game says this is fine, you can't bypass this without "smurfing" which is another topic.

Boosting is NOT against TOS because as soon as the bronze player starts playing alone his rank should normalize to the SR his skill matches.

Piloting is where Bill is in Bronze, and Joey is in Diamond and they can't play together on their own account, so Joey logs onto Bill's account and plays till Bill's account is in Gold. This is wrong not necessarily because of the act of bringing someone into a rank they don't deserve, but because account sharing is against TOS.

You can see exactly what is and is not allowed in the Terms of Service. Just because something may not seem "fair" does not mean its against Terms of Service.
It's basically all the things listed here before me. It's not just when somebody jumps on a friends account, it's not just when somebody plays on a low rank account with somebody else on a low rank account, it's not just when somebody pays for a stranger to do it. It's all three scenarios.
Ehh. I think this one is going to be tough to prove.

What if you're just letting a friend or family member play on your account and they happen to be good at the game?
How can you 100% confirm its boosting though?

If i want to play with my less skilled friend will we get banned?

Thats kinda dumb
When someone is too short to see something so you give them a boost by lifting them up.
06/15/2017 11:58 AMPosted by Reimu
Ehh. I think this one is going to be tough to prove.

What if you're just letting a friend or family member play on your account and they happen to be good at the game?

well they can 1.check ip. 2. it takes some time to jump in rank. 3. if youre bronze, go all the way up to diamond, then drop a lot. basically if youre fluctuating rapidly (because either player A. is playing people who are not nearly good enough or player B. who is playing people who are just way too good.
They aren't going to ban you just because you duo-q with your friend and your friend basically carried you to diamond.

If they did that they'd probably have to ban Kephrii & TimTheTatMan, and I don't think either of those bans would go over well for the game.

(For anyone that doesn't know, Keph pretty much always plays in at least a duo-q with a top 100 player. What you think of that is your own personal thing, reddit tends to think he doesn't belong in the top 500).

The potential ban very likely means using actual boosting services, A.K.A. Having someone else play for you on your account to get you to a higher rank.
06/14/2017 11:49 PMPosted by massrines
when you duo with a smurf that is much higher ranked is boosting too in my view.

I have seen on a stream a silver player stacking with grandmaster smurf and geting really easy wins on stream (the gm was doing everything obviously). That allowed the guy to reach plat, but misteriously, when he solo que's he drops below gold elo.

That's a smurf / throwing-till-being-low-rank problem. Normally GM won't be able to group with silvers. 1000 sr IS a huge difference, don't get me wrong (Masters+ are only able to group with 500sr difference), but I think people often mistake players wanting to play comp with their friends 500sr apart (which can happen easily, even if the players are of the same real skill level, because randomness) are "boosters".

Still, throw-smurfing in itself is bannable anyway.
06/15/2017 09:47 AMPosted by MickeyButtz
Yeah these are all probable definitions of boosting. But I want Blizzard to tell me what boosting is, I know it probably is not the case but will me playing comp with someone ranked higher than me be considered boosting?

No. If you're within 1000sr range (500sr for masters+ I believe) that the game allows, then it's fine. It won't let you join comp if your rank difference >1000 anyway. Boosting is not playing along with your higher-level friend or anything like that.

The forums and such would have you believe that playing with someone with a large rank difference is banable, but that's probably because some players actually think that playing with a higher-ranked player will actually give you an advantage. If anything, I'd just say it gives the high-ranked player a -disadvantage- lol.
It's when a very good player creates an alternative account (smurf) to carry some low ranks to a higher rank, or, more often, utilizes their own account (the person who paid to be boosted's account) to raise it.
06/15/2017 12:33 PMPosted by PancakePunk
06/14/2017 11:49 PMPosted by massrines

That's a smurf / throwing-till-being-low-rank problem. Normally GM won't be able to group with silvers. 1000 sr IS a huge difference, don't get me wrong (Masters+ are only able to group with 500sr difference), but I think people often mistake players wanting to play comp with their friends 500sr apart (which can happen easily, even if the players are of the same real skill level, because randomness) are "boosters".

Still, throw-smurfing in itself is bannable anyway.

he can if he has a account only for low sr games.