Is Tank Form Canon?

General Discussion
It was either Geoff Goodman or Michael Chu that said some abilities exist for solely gameplay reasons. Considering the parts for Bastion's tank mode come out of no where (as opposed to sentry mode where the parts are visible), I was wondering if it was one of said abilities.

What really puts this into question is the fact tank mode Bastions are encountered in Uprising, as well as OR-14s with mini-gravitons.

Can I get an answer from someone about whether or not either of these are canon?
I would think tank form is canon only because I don't see the damage to eichenwalde happening without it, and I only noticed bastions there in the map.
06/27/2017 03:37 PMPosted by Steampunk360
I would think tank form is canon only because I don't see the damage to eichenwalde happening without it, and I only noticed bastions there in the map.
But what about those bigger ones on Eichenwalde? Might they be actual tanks?
It's certainly cannon.
06/27/2017 03:42 PMPosted by Michael Chu
It's certainly cannon.

OHhhh yeah, linguistic linguini for our souls.
It's certainly cannon.
*squints* Not sure if wordplay or straight up trolling.

All in all, thanks for the response! :)
It's certainly cannon.

Does Mei work for Satan?
It's certainly cannon.

Tank you for the response :)
It's certainly cannon.

Why
Bastion has 3 configurations: Recon, Sentry, Tank.

Recon is the normal configuration. Bastion's power core is safe inside his armor, but he exposes his sensor pod (it is "recon" after all), which is vulnerable to fire.

In Sentry mode, bastion's power core heats up due to increased power draw. He is forced to expose it to prevent overheating. Fortunately, bastion does not need enhanced sensors in sentry mode, and does not suffer from vulnerability there.

In Tank mode, bastion revs his power core into overdrive, powering both the tank shell fabricator and a drive system. Exposing the core would barely help with cooling at this point, so both the core and sensor pod are kept safe to reduce vulnerable areas. However, due to the immense power draw on the core, bastion can only occasionally enter into this mode without risking permanent damage.

I made that all up, but it certainly sounds cool.
It's certainly cannon.

I think this terrible dad joke might make you the new father of overwatch!
Weren't there tank Bastions in The Iron Gi- I mean the Last Bastion? Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Either way there were definitely tank Bastions in the Uprising game and that was a canon thing
you don't know how many times I read it as "Is tank from Canon?"

so I thought "what's Canon, is there a development stage I don't know?"
06/27/2017 03:33 PMPosted by NaijMizuho
It was either Geoff Goodman or Michael Chu that said some abilities exist for solely gameplay reasons. Considering the parts for Bastion's tank mode come out of no where (as opposed to sentry mode where the parts are visible), I was wondering if it was one of said abilities.

What really puts this into question is the fact tank mode Bastions are encountered in Uprising, as well as OR-14s with mini-gravitons.

Can I get an answer from someone about whether or not either of these are canon?
I never thought about that. I hope we get a animated short with bastion units going into tank form. It would be intense.
06/27/2017 03:50 PMPosted by PEEPS
I never thought about that. I hope we get a animated short with bastion units going into tank form. It would be intense.
If it is actually canon, I might respect Torb a whole lot more.
I'd say yes...Going with Mr. Chu's wordplay.

In Bastion's cinematic, you can see Bastions shifting from recon to sentry. In Uprising, you can see Bastions already in tank form.

Could be that our playable Bastion is an advanced model able to shift to all three forms, whereas previous models were forced to be build for either recon/sentry or tank.

There's my take on it.
Just like Blizzard to just roll over us like that.