Roadhog

General Discussion
Instead of screaming that he's such a useless Tank and he no longer one shots and will be forever bad. Why not suggest like a rework for Roadhog to be a Tank?

I'd suggest it myself, but I don't play Roadhog a lot.
A rework into a tank? As in to make him like all others but maybe winston, a shieldbot? Doesnt sound fun. Would prefer a decent shieldbot over the new hog though.
Instead of screaming that he's such a useless Tank and he no longer one shots and will be forever bad. Why not suggest like a rework for Roadhog to be a Tank?

Did you typo? Im a little confused.
He's a useless tank because he has no shield, which every other tank does. No way to protect his teammates other than his ult battery fat body.
I think he definitely needs a buff, but I can't imagine bliz reverting the changes.
His hook cooldown should be lowered (I won't give an exact number since if blizzard decides to lower his hook cooldown, they would pick the number). Tanks are often known for providing shields, but they also have the job of disrupting the other team. This makes it easier for DPS to attack the other team. Rein has charge and ult, Zarya has ult, Winston has ult and his jump, Orisa has halt, D.va has her boosters, and Roadhog has his hook and ult. Even with his nerf, Roadhog has one of the best disruption abilities in the game, the hook. Currently, he can hook enemies with bad positioning into his team, and together, they all gang up on the enemy that got hooked. However, he cannot use it very often. If they lower his hook cooldown, it would bring him closer to a tank, but he would still be an unorthodox tank since he provides little to no shielding, but be great at disrupting.
Roadhog, DVA & Ana nerfs are proof that if silvers cry loud enough on the forums, their hated hero of the month will be nerfed.

Overwatch keeps getting pushed as an esport game but games like Dota 2 and CSGO always balance around pro players. These "balancing" "tweaks" will just tailspin into oppressive metas where 66.7% of heroes will be considered trash.
I used to cry about this change but I just changed my playstyle, now I am more aggressive with Roadhog and even more annoying to the enemy, the attack speed is ridicules in close combat, almost nobody stands a chance against Hog in 1v1.

Roadhog is now more annoying than ever.
06/23/2017 11:53 AMPosted by Mj711
I used to cry about this change but I just changed my playstyle, now I am more aggressive with Roadhog and even more annoying to the enemy, the attack speed is ridicules in close combat, almost nobody stands a chance against Hog in 1v1.

Roadhog is now more annoying than ever.

In quick play?
Turning him into a tank is creating a new hero.

The only thing that would maybe make him work again as a psychological tank, since we can't have damage, is CC. If each shot hit reduces speed by 50% then people would be afraid to run out in front of him. However people would hate that just as much since CC is infuriating.
I think that if they want to make him more of a tank, then his healing should give 200 burst healing like it does now, but an additional 200 over 4 seconds even after the ability ends. That way he gets more health overall, and he also gets a small amount of regeneration in combat, while at the same time making his Take a Breather more dangerous to use because you only get 200hp instantly, allowing enemies to take greater advantage.
06/23/2017 11:51 AMPosted by Spookums
Roadhog, DVA & Ana nerfs are proof that if silvers cry loud enough on the forums, their hated hero of the month will be nerfed.

Overwatch keeps getting pushed as an esport game but games like Dota 2 and CSGO always balance around pro players. These "balancing" "tweaks" will just tailspin into oppressive metas where 66.7% of heroes will be considered trash.
GMs complained constantly about all three of those heroes (Ana and DVa most of all until they were nerfed, and for good reason). Roadhog was literally everywhere in competitive GM+ games; maybe not as much in tournament play this season, but he was in almost every one of my games on the ladder for the last 3 seasons until his much-deserved nerfs. Now he can't go flanking on his own and getting an easy pick without being punished for it.
06/23/2017 11:51 AMPosted by Spookums

You forgot that dva mains had hundreds of thousands of posts about her post nerf, the issue people had with Ana was the strength of her grenade- not her damage, and hog's issue was the spread of his gun making close ranged dps heroes useless and allowing him to go on flanking spree's ( at least for those of us who dodged hooks). So blizzard hasn't listened to the community in that sense. They have stated in the past that they base their changes on data they get from our games ( most of which we have no access to). Also the metas are a bit much as you said. If the meta changed map per map, it'd be healthier for the game.
Why do all heroes have to be so similar?

Roadhog was a walking ult battery for the enemy team. He had 0 mobility, is slow and loud as hell, 0 shielding and 0 defensive abilities.

The trade off was his pick ability, but that's been nerfed to oblivion.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that a hero with a 7% pick rate and 49% win rate who wasn't touched in tournaments didn't need a major nerf.

Blizzard said they wanted this to be a competitive game, but it's never going to be if they make nerfs by appealing to complainers instead of looking at actual statistics. You can't say a game is competitive and then nerf a c tier hero while keeping a straight face.

I used to have hope for overwatch as a competitive game, but it's becoming clearer and clearer that Blizzard just wants to cater to the casuals and the lowest common denominator.

Imagine if Dota 2 balanced their game like blizzard did, the largest e sport in the world would be dead in a year.
06/23/2017 08:50 AMPosted by hellobg

I'd suggest it myself, but I don't play Roadhog a lot.

The problem is his one shot was very important. If you take it off him he is just a gimpy dps ult battery. Roadhog was pretty helpless without his hook, his right click is not casual or really on the same level of masterablilty as Widow, Cree or even Hanzo. If you miss hook you run behind cover or the team most of the time, if someone is damaged you make the choice between risking your ability to time and land right click shots or go with the piddly damage of scatter shot; both have a better chance of missing than landing. In fact now Road hasn't just lost hook+shot+melee combo, he cannot one shot off right clicks which were skill shots 90% of the time or left clicks on dopey players who deserve to die. Now in all cases you have a second chance vs Hog and no one fears him.

Think about it this way, Blizzard think because they've given Road the same max DPS over his ammo count over the time of firing he's balanced. Problem is max dps varies in skill and ultimately practically over hero designs, Hog isn't reaper he's more like MrCree with a gun that's only good at 2 very precise ranges and is worthless everywhere else with the exception of Reign shield dmg.

People complaining about Hog do not understand his design. If they wanted to nerf him, his HP or Hook cool down would be the first place to look, not his damage per shot. If Hog was getting away with too much in the risk reward ratio, limiting his hook cool down was the way to go, he did not need a redesign so bad players could walk into him without fear and good players to laugh at him when someone is dumb enough to pick him.
Well since this change maybe they should decrease his hook cooldown to 5-6 seconds and give the gun x1.5 (Shrapnel) damage against shields and armor;

Lower Hook time means that he can be more useful for dragging enemy units closer to his team more often
(Because His 1 shot ability is gone it means that it's now safer to drop his hook cooldown a few seconds so his Utility can be increased, and it allows more opportunities for his team to get picks on enemies)
Having a 1.5 damage increase against shields and armor means that he can deal with a larger range of heroes without having to bring back his 1 shot
This would mean that against no Armour heroes his current consistency is still there but it means that if he was to attack an in mech D'va or a Rein he would be able to knock down all there Armour in 1 hit without killing them allowing his team to capitalize on the pick, also having him have a 1.5 against enemies with shields (Hero shield stat not barriers) means that he can also duel most tanks and also be a good utility pick against symetra comps as well)
Saw a suggestion saying that Take a Breather should instead turn all damage taken into healing for a few seconds (probably to a ratio like 2 damage:1 hp) or a very short duration). Would solve the problem of him being free ult charge and not punish him for facetanking like he's supposed to.

Other than that they could reduce Hook's cooldown to 6 seconds. It's all he has to offer at this point.
06/29/2017 07:22 PMPosted by MopHop
Well since this change maybe they should decrease his hook cooldown to 5-6 seconds and give the gun x1.5 (Shrapnel) damage against shields and armor

I was actually thinking the same thing. Give him some sort of passive that allows him to do more damage through armor, that would be great. Because hitting a full shot and only doing like ~75 damage feels so... not hog. :/