New Highlights Options on PTR

PTR Bug Report
Hi,

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to help us test out Highlights on PTR. We really appreciate the feedback, and we’re working to improve the experience around recording and playback.

The current build on PTR has a few new options that may help if you’re experiencing issues recording highlights.

• We’ve added the option to enable / disable hardware acceleration under the advanced options while recording. If you’re presently experiencing issues with recorded videos, try disabling hardware acceleration.
• Additionally, under Options > Gameplay, there’s an option to set your preferred recorded highlight format. If you’re having issues with MP4s, please try exporting WebMs (note: Using WebM will disable hardware acceleration).

A few other notes:
• Highlight capturing should not impact framerate or latency during gameplay. Highlights are saved on our end, then sent down to you at the end of the match.
• You may see some compression artifacts if you upload a high resolution video to YouTube and watch it at a lower quality (watching a 4k video in 1080p, for example).
• You may experience issues when using older display drivers. Please check and see if your graphics drivers and if your OS is up to date.
Highly Rated
Can we please get the option to change the directory of our recorded highlights? Most people have multiple hard drives and it will be super annoying to have to move them manually.
I think adding the new highlight functions are an incredible step to helping the community share the best moments of Overwatch.

While I can't play the PTR, I haven't seen anywhere about some of the details I'm more interested in.
Highlights as short little clips is great and all, and I'm in massive support of the ability to have the game render them after-recording to higher and better graphics.
But my questions are more related to recording entire matches. Is there currently an option for that, or is it simply the short "play of the game" length? Is there any chance of seeing the option implemented before or soon after this goes live? And if so, is there any possibility for the 'recorded match' to also let you render the video file of another players perspective in your match? For example, if I record and select render full match, and I'd like to analyze a teammates perspective, or even an enemies perspective. Not only would that be a cool addition in and of itself, but it would give people who want to help better the skill of others and help teach the community a new, and very powerful tool to do so, in a MUCH easier fashion then currently.

Also, as a side note, a full match render option, coupled with allowing us to pick anyones perspective in the recording would help give players the ability to give you guys proof of hackers, bugs, and glitches, as well as proof of griefing or trolling, with which they can submit in a potential future update to the reporting system.
06/23/2017 04:56 PMPosted by Damax
Can we please get the option to change the directory of our recorded highlights? Most people have multiple hard drives and it will be super annoying to have to move them manually.

I can't upvote this enough. I have my OS on a small 60GB NVMe SSD, and don't need piles of videos clogging it up, and it's incredibly annoying to have to shove them over as I record them.

On the other hand, I have a 30TB NAS with a drive letter mapped to it... that'd be a better place for them to go.

Another feature that would be nice is a click-to-browse button on the recordings, so we can just click a button to jump to the current save location (for posting/sharing the videos).
Could there be a cancel button? I'd like to be able to cancel if I accidentally start a max setting record instead of force quitting overwatch.
This Highlights update didn't affect MP4 rendering for me, the videofile is still corrupted, whether I have Hardware Encoding on or off. WebM works but the other issue is that the graphics settings presets don't seem to work, I still get what looks like a low graphics video as a result. Also, the recorded video looks a bit darker than it should be but I blame webm codec for that.
Using WebM kinda solves the problem, but I hope we can enable hardware acceleration when it goes live.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20757435696?page=1#post-13
Upvote for changing the saved dir where the videos are dumped.

But honestly I think the highlights are going about it the wrong way. Look at it from this point as you're just saving your viewpoint for now. Why not instead of having it buffer highlights for a 24hr period you can get a text file with a server log dump of the match. I'm guessing that's all it's somewhat doing atm in a fashion if it's giving you a chance to go back over highlights for 24 hours. That way instead of just using your installed game to view highlights it acts as a parser of the server data and replays the whole match where you can change viewpoints and then save videos as you want.
Guessing each file would be something like a database of players slot 0-5 on team slot 0-1 using character 0-23 on map 0-15. From there abilities used RMB/LMB/0-2 etc... with positioning data x/y/z coords and timestamps for movements.
Might just be me since I used to run clan league matches and parsed server logs for results always that I'm thinking of this when I see a capture nowadays.
[Bugs] and [suggestion] requested on PTR 1.13

Hello, I had found the problem of the game. I will lists below

• BUG> Sometime the cam will stuck to somewhere when kill cams, POTG show!
  • BUG> I have a problem when joining any match in game. "Error starting game, trying again" and the game have long respone time when joining any session of match
  • BUG> When exiting the game it will show like entering the map then exit
  • BUG> Where's Her? : https://t.co/JCf2tK0CTX
    • In Game request

• When the kill cam shown, show player's that kill crosshair style (Color, size, width, type of crosshair, etc...)
  • + Request for crosshair outline for the brighten map, I can't see my crosshair clearly
  • + Add the melee kill icon to the kill feed when melee enemy (press V or mouse4)
    • UI Suggestion

• [PLAY\ARCADE] ? INTERFACE SUGGESTION:
  • http://imgur.com/w44ex1K

• [PLAY] + - Remove PLAY VS AI and replace new mode GAME BROWSER:
  • http://imgur.com/GVyTEf6

• [MAIN MENU] + Add searching details what game mode is me finding:
  • http://imgur.com/AMXlnmZ

• [PLAYER'S PROFILE] + Add the button "ADD FRIEND":
  • http://imgur.com/lp7BOwj

• [SELECT HEROES PHRASE]:
    • + Add GROUP/ TEAM channel switcher

+ Add ability to mute or unmute TEAM MESSAGE CHAT/ ALL MESSAGE CHAT

+ Add ability to mute my mic or not

http://imgur.com/MgNWmU8

HIGHLIGHS MENU BUTTON SUGGESTION

FIRST ONE : http://i.imgur.com/QK8CAjv.png
    SECOND : http://i.imgur.com/W7vrRFo.png
    THIRD : http://i.imgur.com/daCKrow.png

First picture suggestion

• + Add more more more resolution and notice some qulity for Twitter, Instragram, etc...
    • Second picture suggestion

• Move the conclude details to the left
  • - Remove the conclude details from original position
  • + Add the drop down list to select export video type eg. MP4 WEBM MKV MOV AVI
  • - Remove the video type from the option (Original)
    • Third picture suggestion

• + Add the order #1, #2 which is recently newer on the highlight
  • + Show the duration with ( xx MIN ) after time or map name
  • + Tag the video which POTG or HIGHLIGHT after charactor
  • + Add the game mode type after map name
  • + Add the button that can change the location for store video
  • + Add xx FPS and SUPER SAMPLE XX to RECORDED HIGHLIGHTS
    • + MAKE THE TIMER COUNT WHAT LEFT of TODAY'S TOP 5 for the expiring

+ In option, allow player to record the chat or not. Will be shown on exported video

+ Add trimming option that allow player to trim before they export (Allow to 2-3 time trim)

+ Add Speed controller when on trimming menu that allow player to reduce or fast forward thier video shot (RANGE 0.1-2.0,inc )

If I found the new idea, I will list it more
    06/23/2017 04:21 PMPosted by Andrew Boyd
    • Additionally, under Options > Gameplay, there’s an option to set your preferred recorded highlight format. If you’re having issues with MP4s, please try exporting WebMs (note: Using WebM will disable hardware acceleration).

I don't see this option? http://imgur.com/a/SpQ7C
    can you guys plz give reaper souls back it feel soo odd now
    Cool. Is there a way to change where stuff gets saved to yet or is that in the works? I can't save stuff to my C:\ cause it's a small capaicty SSD
    Just a question: at which moment at the end of the match are our highlights sent to us? aka, when can we safely leave the game and still get our highlights saved? I can't remember any notification about that at the end of the game the first time I tried it.
    how big are the chances to get a .gif output additional to video?
    As someone who plays on a 21:9 monitor and prefers to record this way, will we be seeing any options to choose our aspect ration in which we can record in?

There definitely should be the option to change that in game, but in the meantime if you'd like to do it within Windows, you can create a junction link to that folder specifically and it will redirect to wherever you point it. Can be done from the command line, or a company called Rekenwonder has a doozy of a little program called junction link magic that wraps it up into a nice little gui. If you're comfortable altering things like that give it a try, but be aware that it has the potential to cause yourself some headaches if you mess around with the existing ones.

Please, i have the game installed on a 128 GB SSD, which is also the main drive on my PC and i have a 1TB HDD sitting right next to it, ready to storage those good ol' Bas-~ PHARAH POTGs .
    06/26/2017 10:07 AMPosted by Starless
    Just a question: at which moment at the end of the match are our highlights sent to us? aka, when can we safely leave the game and still get our highlights saved? I can't remember any notification about that at the end of the game the first time I tried it.

There is a notification when the match completes that the highlight has been received.
    06/24/2017 08:51 AMPosted by Pohui

Remove PLAY VS AI and replace new mode GAME BROWSER

They are putting the game browser on the main play page next patch, but not removing AI.

Add the button "ADD FRIEND"

I like this idea. +1

Add ability to mute my mic or not

This exists
    http://imgur.com/M7y3FuQ

Add the drop down list to select export video type eg. MP4 WEBM MKV MOV AVI

I do like this better than the above blue post. While nice to be able to select a default format, being able to choose format for each recording gives more flexibility for those manipulating/editing video or creating. +1
    Add the order #1, #2 which is recently newer on the highlight...
    MAKE THE TIMER COUNT WHAT LEFT of TODAY'S TOP 5 for the expiring

I do like the idea of having them listed with a timestamp or #. +1

As for video editing options, I prefer Blizz work on the game, not give people editing software.
    06/23/2017 04:21 PMPosted by Andrew Boyd

A few other notes:
    • Highlight capturing should not impact framerate or latency during gameplay. Highlights are saved on our end, then sent down to you at the end of the match.

I don't know how to ask this in a not-dumb way, but does this mean highlight files will be sent over the internet? Or is it more like how the game just saves the data for highlights currently?

I play on a very limited data plan so I want to make sure I'm not screwing myself out of playing time, basically.