Water environment

General Discussion
1 2 3 7 Next
Why there is no swimming option or water environment in overwatch?
Do you have any reason for this ?
Will you consider adding such option ?
Because I think it will be very exciting and people will be as keen and avid as I if this option will be added to the game.
It will give another spectacular gameplay and experience for the players.
Also it seems very odd to me that there is gravity option and moon map now in the game before water map and water environment.
I would like to hear some response regarding the matter.
Thank you.
idk if theyd be down with something like that though dynamic water is quite a tricky thing to implement and balance.
I would love to be able to swim in water!
I don't know about having characters swim, but water ACTUALLY IN THE ILLIOS HOT TUBS would be nice. It drives me crazy that you can hear the water in there. That there are shadows for the water moving. But there's no actual water in the tubs.

At least there's pools of water on Lijiang Tower Market place from the rain.
I don't really think water will be implemented any time soon. Swimming and water physics in general has always felt a little awkward in FPS games to me, and I don't see how Overwatch could include a water environment without major changes to it's combat system (Which is mainly based on ground or air-based battles). That said, we could certainly see some water themed maps, but swimming is probably not going to be a key element any time soon.
Oh my god. An underwater mode. THAT WOULD BE SO EPIC OH MY GOD.
That's a whole other set of mechanics to balance and work out over a long period of time. Overwatch will most likely never have swimming, but I do want an aquatic-themed map. *cough*Busan*cough*
06/27/2017 06:09 AMPosted by Yang

Maybe try a real pool???
06/27/2017 06:50 AMPosted by kristwi
06/27/2017 06:09 AMPosted by Yang

Maybe try a real pool???

I meant in game, lol. Silly me not explaining things.
While we might add more water and swimming at some point, we made a very conscious decision to avoid water gameplay for a few reasons.

The main reason is that we rarely found swimming gunplay fun in other shooters that we played. While the immersion is great, the actual moment to moment gameplay is usually underwhelming if not gimmicky.

Another reason -- and one we would easily go back on if we thought swimming added fantastic gameplay -- is that every Overwatch hero is animated by hand using key frame animation. We do this because we believe our animators can get the most personality out of each hero with this method. We really believe in the art form that is animation. Many games use motion capture and/or a single-body, shared animation across many different characters. This isn't the case in OW. Everything is done by hand. If we added swimming, every single character would have to get an intense amount of animation work for the base locomotion plus animation updates for every ability. The end result would also mean that we would get far less animation work on other parts of the game (emotes, highlight intros etc.). But the really big down side would be that every new hero we added to the game would take significantly longer for us to make thus resulting in fewer heroes over time.

So while conceptually we think swimming is cool and adds to the immersion and fantasy of being in a cool game world, the practical reality of it has made us hold off for now. Maybe in the future!
YAY
06/27/2017 08:41 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
While we might add more water and swimming at some point, we made a very conscious decision to avoid water gameplay for a few reasons.

The main reason is that we rarely found swimming gunplay fun in other shooters that we played. While the immersion is great, the actual moment to moment gameplay is usually underwhelming if not gimmicky.

Another reason -- and one we would easily go back on if we thought swimming added fantastic gameplay -- is that every Overwatch hero is animated by hand using key frame animation. We do this because we believe our animators can get the most personality out of each hero with this method. We really believe in the art form that is animation. Many games use motion capture and/or a single-body, shared animation across many different characters. This isn't the case in OW. Everything is done by hand. If we added swimming, every single character would have to get an intense amount of animation work for the base locomotion plus animation updates for every ability. The end result would also mean that we would get far less animation work on other parts of the game (emotes, highlight intros etc.). But the really big down side would be that every new hero we added to the game would take significantly longer for us to make thus resulting in fewer heroes over time.

So while conceptually we think swimming is cool and adds to the immersion and fantasy of being in a cool game world, the practical reality of it has made us hold off for now. Maybe in the future!

Hopefully in the future :D
Highly Rated
What about a map where you wade waist-deep in water, then? Not quite swimming, crouching only obscures up to the head level of smaller characters. Would be an interesting mechanic for ganking or hiding from a threat. Think Left 4 Dead 2 with the swamp levels, enemies could hide mostly obscured in the water but if you look closely you see their head.

It could be set in a swamp map, or a flooded region in a city, or even like a future-Venice or rice fields in China or Japan or India
Keep up the good work guys! Love the universe you have created :)

#Jeph&GeoffForPres2020

I love you, Dad.
I was actually thinking it would be cool to have some kind of Caribbean/Beach-ish setting map. I know we have Dorado in a way, but something more tropical would be cool in my opinion. The colors and such would really work for this kind of game

Thanks for hearing us out Jeff. I'd want a rainy map with thunder or something.
I always thought a underwater map would be cool but at the same time horizon is basically just that but instead of underwater its on the moon/space. But with the recent arena maps added i think having more rainy maps would be great because of how amazing black forest looks and lijang tower.
My dad.