Mercy does NOT need a rework.

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 8 Next
07/09/2017 06:46 PMPosted by qpalzm112
Nailed it. The beginner hero should be just that. Not as effective as harder heroes.

I don't think that's what Kryptsm was saying at all. And... what? No.

No hero should be less viable than any other. I'm as in favour as anyone else of raising her skill ceiling, but saying some heroes should just vanish from higher tiers of play, and that's how it ought to be, is a ridiculous answer to the one-trick problem.
07/10/2017 04:56 AMPosted by Amaterasu
Guys, abandon this thread. There is no need to discuss with Mercy mains as they are the most ignorant players in this game.
Shall I assume you are saying this because you want to insult us yet have no idea how to provide an argument that can be supported with facts?
07/10/2017 04:56 AMPosted by Amaterasu
There is a reason Mercy is by far the most picked hero in this game and that's why she will get reworked. Deal with it.
Mercy had a higher pickrate than Ana back in season 3, when Ana was still incredibly powerful. You know, the time in which picking Mercy was considered throwing by a good chunk of the community? Mercy had a higher pickrate than Ana. That would lead me to believe that the reason she had and still has a high pickrate is that A) she's accessible because of how easy she is to pick up and play without prior experience, B) players enjoy playing as her regardless of past and current metas.
07/09/2017 07:54 PMPosted by Koz
07/09/2017 07:47 PMPosted by LuztyNutz
She could stand to be a little easier to pin down. 2 second cooldown is ridic. That's the biggest problem with her. Rez should take longer to get too it's ridiculously quick with tanks around which makes her feel like she always has it. It should be valuable to hold onto.

It doesn't take more than 2 secs for any ult to kill her. Genji's dragon blade, 1-2 slash and she's dead. Soldier's tactical visor, not even 2 secs and she's dead. Reaper's ult doesn't let her escape soon enough, I could go on. It's just that people aren't willing to lose their ults if it's just 1 kill. Just as mercy is prob not going to rez only one teammate.

You should have have to rely on ultimates to get the job done, to kill a single target. They only make it easier.
I don't mind her being easy. I don't mind her being good. I just dislike the concept of a fast-charging ultimate that negates death.

I'd love for Blizzard to nerf her ult charge rate, but give her an extra ability/utility to compensate her for it. She would still be easy, but she'd be less ult-centric.
The problem right now isn't that Mercy is easy to play, its that shes easy to play AND has a high impact while leaving next to no room for improvement. There should be a sort of Easy to play - Hard to Master kind of thing going on, where the more skilled you become at the hero, the better you perform with them. However Mercy kinda.. doesn't have that. To make matters worse, the skills people obtain from playing only Mercy don't translate well to other heroes, which makes them a liability if they only one trick.
If they made the right click on her caduceus staff into a temporary non-channeled damage buff I'd be cool with that.
07/09/2017 06:54 PMPosted by MofoMan2000
I'm pretty sure you people are just looking for another witch to hunt.

I disagree, but I will give you props for the Witch Mercy line. XD

If she had no impact on the game, there'd be no reason to pick her, especially at higher ranks. Hell, she still has some problems at higher ranks.

I think Mercy does need to be changed. Most of her kit is fine at the moment, but her Ult is very unengaging at times, too strong in the lower tiers, and causing problems in the higher tiers because of the problems with the SR system and rezzing. Like Lucio and Symmetra, I think it just needs a rework.

My idea for a reworked Rez is that Mercy should gain stacks ult charge around 250% as fast, but each ult can only resurrect one dead ally. Of course, that wouldn't work very well if you need to rez 3 or more to keep a push going, but hear me out: what if she could store multiple charges of Rez, up to 5? Then you allow her to hold down the rez button and drag her cursor over multiple targets in range to rez all of them for the cost of one ult stack each? To facilitate the fact Mercy now has to decide who to rez, dead teammate icons could turn into golden ghosts of the hero when you hold down ult, that way you don't have to remember who died where or risk rezzing the wrong guy.

How will this change fix rez? Well, for starters it encourages tempo rezing, as at 250% charge rate it's less expensive than it used to be to rez 2 or less, and more expensive than it used to be to rez 3 or more (It'd take twice as long to build up enough stacks for a 5 man rez for example). It also fixes the problem of Mercy at lower ranks being able to just fly in and press Q to revive a whole team: now she has to line up each hero on the crosshair once she's in range. You could even add a glowing golden trail from her to every target she has selected. Finally, it would also make rezzing a bit more engaging. You'd be doing it more often, and sometimes you'd have to decide whether to rez a tank or DPS if you don't have enough charges for both, adding some tactics to it.

Anyone else have any thoughts as to how rez could be changed assuming we do get a rework?
nerf ult charge
the rework jeff hs been talking about has not much to do with balance, its not about buffs/nerfs to her but more like a way to make her ult more FUN to use for everyone
07/09/2017 07:05 PMPosted by Kris
I really dislike this high and mighty attitude that just because a character is accessible that their contributions should be severely limited. That is a crock of bull, and will honestly just drive people away from overwatch.

Overwatch would be incredibly boring if the only impactful heroes were the ones you need to have years of fps experience with or have god aim.

That elitist attitude needs to go.

So much this!

Its not even about elitism, its understanding basic multiplayer game design. This isn't a single player game. You don't go designing newbie friendly characters that are to be discarded once a certain skill level is achieved. Otherwise there should just be a basic hero part of the game that you have to master before you can move on... this isn't that game.

Let's face it, NONE of the characters are difficult to play with. Even heroes like Widow and McCree... the only thing "hard" about them is that you have to be good at aiming (yes there is more to them then just aiming, but it is those hero's most important skill trait and you get the gist). That has NOTHING to do with a learning curve. You could practice every day for hours and still be a crap widow, because not everyone has that innate ability to aim well... again, this isn't that game.

The FPS game people are used to that focus almost entirely on your ability to aim well... THIS ISN'T THAT GAME. Overwatch places emphasis on many different facets of play. Beyond aiming which is the core skill requiring a rudimentary understanding of to play, there's cerebral (game sense), flex skill(versatility), map/game knowledge (knowing what synergizes between heroes, when to switch and why).

Stop crapping on "low skill" heroes, admit to what you mean by low skill (doesn't require aiming). Go play another game if you think your ability to aim is the only thing that matters.
07/10/2017 07:01 PMPosted by HowzMyDrivin
I'm pretty sure you people are just looking for another witch to hunt.

I disagree, but I will give you props for the Witch Mercy line. XD

If she had no impact on the game, there'd be no reason to pick her, especially at higher ranks. Hell, she still has some problems at higher ranks.

I think Mercy does need to be changed. Most of her kit is fine at the moment, but her Ult is very unengaging at times, too strong in the lower tiers, and causing problems in the higher tiers because of the problems with the SR system and rezzing. Like Lucio and Symmetra, I think it just needs a rework.

My idea for a reworked Rez is that Mercy should gain stacks ult charge around 250% as fast, but each ult can only resurrect one dead ally. Of course, that wouldn't work very well if you need to rez 3 or more to keep a push going, but hear me out: what if she could store multiple charges of Rez, up to 5? Then you allow her to hold down the rez button and drag her cursor over multiple targets in range to rez all of them for the cost of one ult stack each? To facilitate the fact Mercy now has to decide who to rez, dead teammate icons could turn into golden ghosts of the hero when you hold down ult, that way you don't have to remember who died where or risk rezzing the wrong guy.

How will this change fix rez? Well, for starters it encourages tempo rezing, as at 250% charge rate it's less expensive than it used to be to rez 2 or less, and more expensive than it used to be to rez 3 or more (It'd take twice as long to build up enough stacks for a 5 man rez for example). It also fixes the problem of Mercy at lower ranks being able to just fly in and press Q to revive a whole team: now she has to line up each hero on the crosshair once she's in range. You could even add a glowing golden trail from her to every target she has selected. Finally, it would also make rezzing a bit more engaging. You'd be doing it more often, and sometimes you'd have to decide whether to rez a tank or DPS if you don't have enough charges for both, adding some tactics to it.

Anyone else have any thoughts as to how rez could be changed assuming we do get a rework?
I had a similar idea in this thread, along with a few other suggested changes. I suggest you read the first post in it before you read mine for context. https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20757677045#post-7
07/09/2017 07:07 PMPosted by daniel3k
I really dislike this high and mighty attitude that just because a character is accessible that their contributions should be severely limited. That is a crock of bull, and will honestly just drive people away from overwatch.

Overwatch would be incredibly boring if the only impactful heroes were the ones you need to have years of fps experience with or have god aim.

i dont remember people saying she should have no valie. What she shouldnt have is more value than other healers(cough ana cough) who take much more skill.

So, what you are saying, since she has no useful ability and has no impact on game, her ult shouldn't be good either?
Good suggestion man!

Sadly I think Blizzard went the other way, let's make an hero with 0 offensive ability (except an ok gun, like everyone) but balance that with a powerful ultimate, they decided. Damn you Blizzard!
07/09/2017 07:26 PMPosted by Greenche
honestly, just do line of sight. rezzing through walls feels bad.

So nerf all ult through wall... Hanzo ult has SUPER REALLY LONG RANGE and he can ult at spawn, throug walls... but, yeah, he is a dps, let him be...

It's fun because Mercy main job is be a healer ALL the time, she doesn't do damage like Lucio, Ana, Zen or Symmetra, she is all the time healing, Jeff said she was thought to be a different hero, all the time healing, because that reason, she has a delay to swap to her blaster, she can't heal and amplify damage at the same time, she can do ONLY 1 think at time, she is not MULTITASK like the others supports.

Zenyatta heals slow but he is really good doing damage
Lucio heals ok but he has stron potential booping ppl out of map, doing damage and other things.
Ana heals ok, she needs aim, yes, but she can be really good at healing/damage, and her ult still is strong.
Symmetra doesn't heal but she gives slow througt turrets, has the TP, the shields, and do good damage and block some damage too.

And what about Mercy? Heal, give damage to an ally and see how your teammates do the all the damage, escape all the time, fly all the time, heal your allies and think carefully when ult. That's a Mercy.

So I liked the rework of Symmetra and Lúcio, but I don't know about Mercy. In other seasons she had no reason to be picked, Lucio was better, Ana was Stronger, Zenyatta was better like a 2nd healer instead of Mercy, in low ranks she was good, but in higher ranks? Only few ppl picked Mercy.

Not all Mercy run and hide, and not all Mercy go all the time with Pharah, but this is some strategy, you know? If you see there's a Mercy in the other team, why you ult if you know she is hidding?

I saw a lot of gameplay when all DPS (Genji, Tracer, Soldier, McCree, Reaper, etc) ignore the Mercy in front of their faces... COME ON!

Hope no one take my commentary in a bad way, I only think we should see both sides of the coin.

Thank you.
It's pathetic that we are all living this absurd debate because some crying babies can't deal they left alive the Mercy.

There is no reason to pick Mercy if rez is nerfed, like before.

Stop whining, use your brain, do you waste your ulti if D.Va can use matrix or Rein is around to shield everybody?, don't forget the swiss girl just because you don't see the beam.
She doesn't need a rework. She needs competition. She is one of only two solo healers, and she doesn't have to worry about being body-blocked (as well as having far better mobility).

It isn't just elitist.

The attitude that "harder to play should mean more effective" are why people who have disabilities (such as missing limbs, ataxia, problematic eye sight, hearing impairment, etc, etc) feel unwelcome in most FPS games.

Games that have a mix of characters from mechanically complex to mechanically simple but all equally effective if people either know maps, learn strategies, and/or coordinate with others.. are more accessible and more fun for more people.
fck reworks

reworks do 2 things 1 makes some players start liking the hero 2 start making some players hate the hero so it is probebly suppose to be the last solution
07/10/2017 08:13 PMPosted by Sinzh

It isn't just elitist.

The attitude that "harder to play should mean more effective" are why people who have disabilities (such as missing limbs, ataxia, problematic eye sight, hearing impairment, etc, etc) feel unwelcome in most FPS games.

Games that have a mix of characters from mechanically complex to mechanically simple but all equally effective if people either know maps, learn strategies, and/or coordinate with others.. are more accessible and more fun for more people.

this is literally why OW has so many players. because there's something for everyone.

also, i think a lot of people would love to see a new healer most of all...we have 2 main healers and 2 hybrids...and they just keep releasing offense heroes...i mean, that's also pretty cool but, come on, give us some more healers please! ^^

[i only just picked up Ana and she's hella fun but she's really hard to play during this Barrierwatch on speed meta :c ]

also, not completely related but, i really wish they gave people more incentive to use PTR and then start to test out balancing on PTR as well, if possible...that would be really cool ^^
Jeff disagrees with you.
cause all reworks works so well so far.

bastion worse than before
symmetra still only good for defense
must pick lucio is now better than before

rework should be for heroes who doesn't work or only in a little niche, like torb.