Mercy does NOT need a rework.

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 Next
07/10/2017 07:37 PMPosted by Titanium
I had a similar idea in this thread, along with a few other suggested changes. I suggest you read the first post in it before you read mine for context. https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20757677045#post-7

I really like the idea of the resource bar on the self heal! Just one more way to reward good Mercy play. Personally I like the invulnerability on her ult as it ensures you're still around to help the allies you rez. That said I do see your point that if you were to time 5 rezzes well you would be invulnerable for long enough to make Zenyatta jealous.

Maybe the Rez itself could be on a few seconds cooldown, so you can only cast it once every 5 seconds or so? Alternatively there could be an internal cooldown on just the invulnerability so every rez within 10 seconds of the first provides no invulnerability?

Edit: accidentally had the quote outside of the quote-box-thing. Fixed that up.
07/10/2017 08:04 PMPosted by Snackrat
and she doesn't have to worry about being body-blocked
Eh, what? I get body blocked all the time, which I think should be applied to Genji, as well.

I think you meant Mercy's healing/damage boosting going through players and shields, which is nice.
07/09/2017 06:33 PMPosted by Karma
What she needs is an increase in how much she needs to heal to gain ult. If you find yourself getting a team kill and her rezzing, then you need to go out of your way to counter her. Most of OW is DPS so there's no problem with catching her alone and killing her.

Everytime she can't compete with the rests of the supports in terms of utility (AKA being a heal/rez bot) she dissapears from the game.

The issue for most people is that for such an easy hero to pick up and learn, she has such a huge impact on the game.

This plus the above is the defenition of an hero that is either complete trash or dominating the game just by the smallest of changes and wich performance is not affected by the player behind it.

She is, indeed, in need of a rework. They have been tweaking numbers and adding bandaids (inmunity after rez, GA reset after rez, faster passive healing) that only made her more annoying to play against and have incentivized a more passive playstyle, that is, INTERACTING THE LEAST POSSIBLE WITH THE ENEMY TEAM.

Zenyatta puts debuffs on enemys and tries to get picks on them, Lucio gets up close and personal and Ana has CC and decisionmaking on one of the strongests de/buff in the game. Meanwhile Mercy's only purpose is to play hide and seek with the enemy team while providing health regen and rezes. It's not hard to see what the fundamental problem is.
I literally made an entire thread talking about how mercy being easy is such a problem.
First, sorry for my English.
Second, I know everyone will downvote this comment, because the truth hurts. If you are this type of people, press the dislike buttom below, don't try to read this post and jump through your near window, please.

Yes, everyone can play Mercy and you can be sure "casual" Mercy players will play "hide and seek" like all of you like to say.

But, you know what? These people are, in most of the cases, DPS or flankers mains that are forced to play Mercy or only want SR in Comp. These people are the problem.

DPS and flankers shouldn't have any problems dealing with these type of Mercy players. But the reality is very different....

This is how I imagine the people that complain about Mercy:
- "Let's go team, let's use all of our ultimates to kill the enemy tank and all the DPS but forget Mercy, It's only a support!"
+ "Heroes never die!"
- "WTF team? They all are alive again because the Mercy! Let's go to Overwatch forums and complain againts her and request a nerf!"
+ "¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

And then, I get in the forums, read complainments against Mercy and I laugh so f* hard.

Mercy is easy to use, yes. But, you really know how to really main her? No.
I played her nearly 200 hours (quick+Comp) and yes, I'm a main Mercy. But you know what?
I can count with my fingers how many times I "hided" to rez my team.

To really main Mercy you have to know where to be all the time, when the enemies will have their ultimates, when you should heal and when you should boost your allies. You have to know when the enemy will attack and then determinate if you will have to boost your DPS, heal your tank or get behind that Reindhart to later rez your dead allies.

Most of people only want to kill everyone in the enemy team and get the Play of The Game, but always forget one thing: KILL. THE. ANGEL. THAT. REZ. EVERYONE.
As a Mercy main, I can tell you that when the enemy team are playing well, focusinig me every time I appear from a corner, I spend most time of the match in the respawn without a chance of resurrect my team. Thats because the enemy DPS and flankers are doing their f* work.

Mercy DOES NOT need a rework or a nerf. In this case, she should get a little more survivality, becasue in this f* dive meta you can counter her with a variety of heroes.
Reaper? One-shoot her.
Sombra? Boop! Hacked, she can't fly but can eat 50 bullets per second.
Tracer? Like Sombra but without Booping her.
Soldier:76? I have no spree, so f* yourself, Mercy.
Genji? Hey Mercy, grab those shurikens and if you try to fly I will dash to you.
Phara (add a friend with a Mercy in her !@#)? Mercy, I have a rocket for you to reach the Horizon Lunar Colony.
Widowmaker? C'est la vie, I will headshot you because you only can fly linearly.
Hanzo? Hey look! It's an arrow that divide in 278963219 parts under your feets dealing 541548 damage!
Winston? Donkey Monkey will press left click and follow u jumping and jumping. :D
Zarya? I will point you in the face with this lazer because I'm 100% charged.
Reindhart? I will punch your face with my 360 degrees hammer.
Roadhog? Took that hook and come to the middle of 6 people.
Junkrat? Hey, I only need an ability to insta-kill you or 2 balls, haha!
Symmetra? Bruh, that sh*t can kill tanks in 2 seconds. Nerf her.

So, stop complaining or demanding a rework/nerf and START. DOING. YOUR. F*. WORK. You kill-obsessed DPS/flankers. ( ¬_¬)
Rework maybe not, though E ability relevant to her character would be nice.

I don't subscribe to the hate on Mercy, never did. I know it's frustrating to get your skills nullified, but this is true of very much all the ults. Soldier has aimbot, D.va can instakill anything, Genji, Hanzo, Lucio... every ult is unfair in some way.

But part of this game is that added depth, where you can prevent ults from happening or from being destructive to your team.

And unlike with many other ults, preventing/handling the rez can actually be fun, not a chore. Problem people have is that they see it late, when they can do nothing anymore, and pretend they were given no chance to react, whereas they went lazy route in reality, while Mercy was evidently not there on the battlefield and something was coming...

Having said that, Mercy could use trading in some of her ult for an increased damage boost and perhaps healing too, because being an ult-machine isn't likely as much fun as it could be. But it's a question to Mercy mains - whether you like the ult better or better tools to actively support the team and facilitate action would be more interesting to you?

As to the perceived difficulty thing - Overwatch is about getting people from all gaming backgrounds together; about making all skills viable. Not just aiming at things, which frankly is trivial if you care to be good at it. I was ranked Global Elite in CS:GO, before you say "you can't aim so you seek excuses". Aim is no skill, it's just pointing at things with a mouse cursor. Anyone can do that if they care to. Most who can't simply set too high mouse sensitivity or basically have a bad mouse or a bad monitor(many people don't realize they actually see an illustration of the past, from say 50 ms ago, good luck aiming now! That's +50ms to your reaction time, which is now 270ms whereas your opponent made sure their monitor has "zero input lag", and reacts in 220ms, and their mouse picks their hand's motion up 5 times as often as yours at 1000Hz vs 200Hz... and I can go on like this). Aiming "skill" is overrated. It's mostly good hardware with proper settings. Back in CS:GO I would hardly improve my aim between silver4 and global elite. I always fared well in deathmatch, killing much higher skilled enemies with ease. Still I was silver4. Why? Because skill in games is not about aim, unless it's a super simplistic point-and-click game. Thing is, when someone is not skilled at all, they can't see what skill even is in a given field. Intricacies, details, movement, positioning, tactics, synergy, timing, teamplay(!), communication(!), motivating your teammates, leading, being the first follower, firefighting, making enemies feel hopeless and your teammates useful. Knowing when to do what. Investing in others, trusting them a little, creating opportunities for them - because you can do more as a team. There is a lot to it, and saying "Mercy is easy because no aim!!!111" sounds to me like someone who never player a proper tactical shooter. I still don't know Overwatch too well, but I know from CS:GO that there is sometimes much, much more to it than it seems on the surface. Therefore Mercy can't be easy just because you don't have to aim. Not a compelling argument at all.

What can be done is she can get better teamplay tools, like said damage boost. Whereas the ult could be impossible when under fire, but still - it fixes the problem that only emerges when you didn't do your job beforehand. Just spend one DPS on hunting enemy supports and be a happier person. Mercy is fun to hunt down if you think about it in advance. I hope it's also fun for that Mercy to try evading it, but again - it's not just her job again, for supports are as much of support themselves as they could use your active support back, which isn't immediately obvious to everybody.

In this context it feels balanced to have a high output - high fragility hero. Feels much like CS:GO - you can kill with ease but you're just 1 or 2 hits from death yourself. So yes, Mercy doesn't need a rework or change, but perhaps we can make everyone happier by adjusting her a little.

Final question is - what do Mercy mains like about playing Mercy? Is that the rez or can we agree on some exchange? I know I would like Mercy on my team to have more damage boost capability, so we can dig deeper into the enemy defenses together. Some E ability related to that would be great too. Question is - do you, Mercy mains, enjoy this cooperation too?

I vote for a Mercy being more active than hiding, but let me know what you think.
i'll just copy this here as well
07/11/2017 12:11 AMPosted by TrashLord
tbh i think you're mostly seeing the hide and res mercy plays for 2 reasons. 1 - she's easier to play than ana in this meta [lbr with all the barriers it's way easier to heal that way]
and 2 - that thing where you get more SR if you just wait for the 5x spread like insane and now a lot of people are trying to abuse it i guess?

the no 1 will sort itself out when the meta changes again, and 2 ... well, if it's true, just sort out the SR gains and we're good i guess??

and to add to the post above me, i'd personally like her to be maybe more active sometimes but i also get how she was designed and why. either way, changes don't have to be bad, but also, i think people on forums are blowing this whole thing out of proportion, just as about everything else [remember those 2-3 boosted Mercy mains that then translated to top500 being infested with boosted Mercy OTPs? ]

so idk, this is just my opinion i guess. oh, also, just give us another healer please, that would be hella fun ty <3
Before you go all Sherlock Holmes on my profile, I am a Mercy main, and not a one trick.

She is intended to be friendly to new players. Her kit is simple and should be left that way. What she needs is an increase in how much she needs to heal to gain ult. If you find yourself getting a team kill and her rezzing, then you need to go out of your way to counter her. Most of OW is DPS so there's no problem with catching her alone and killing her.

Let her keep her mobility and invincibility, those were the things she desperately needed.

Also while we're at it can we fix the issue where I press q to get a __ man rez and only rez one? Because it's BS when I can rez the teammate right infront of me and not the ones 5 cm away.

Then why tf she is as rewarding as some of the hardest hero to play and master like tracer and genji ?
An easy or whatever you call it "friendly to new players" hero should either be
NOT AS GOOD AS OTHERS or reworked to become as difficult as others.

It's like those days on LoL when fiora was so !@#$ing strong and easy, so after countless tries of nerfing to "balance her" they decided to rework her and it came off good, good fiora players (mostly mains) were still able to carry the game, heck they gave them more tools to do so while the others who are not really good with fiora sank to the ground.

She does need a rework.
Mercy needs fixes to her healing staff so she cant heal trough walls and outside of her line of sight, a little less damage from her pistol and propably smaller range of her ultimate and/or disable her dash to dead people.
I honestly kind of hate her ultimate because everything about her is balanced around it. I'd much rather be powerful and useful for the entire fight and not have to spend so much time passively hiding. I'd prefer if it got a huge nerf (like rezzing only 1-2 people) and then giving her another active ability of some kind.

It'd be neat if she could press a button on a cooldown that would do something centered on the character she's using her staff on. Maybe an aoe heal pulse or damage pulse based on which she's using. Ooh or even more fun, a beam that fires from the target as if they shot it. You'd wait until they were shooting at someone and use it and it would add to the damage they were doing. It'd be a fun support centric way to get mercies doing something just a tad more active
07/11/2017 04:42 AMPosted by Polterghost
Mercy needs fixes to her healing staff so she cant heal trough walls and outside of her line of sight, a little less damage from her pistol and propably smaller range of her ultimate and/or disable her dash to dead people.

maybe just delete her altogether while we're at it? :) ooh ooh even better, transform her into a lamer [is that even a word? lol] version of ana with a beam instead of sniper :V
07/11/2017 07:07 AMPosted by TrashLord
07/11/2017 04:42 AMPosted by Polterghost

maybe just delete her altogether while we're at it? :) ooh ooh even better, transform her into a lamer version of ana with a beam instead of sniper :V

Symmercy.
Community: "Mercy just needs a slight nerf where she can't be selected in the setup phase and is replaced by Ana in every match again."
07/11/2017 04:02 AMPosted by D4N1RS
To really main Mercy you have to know where to be all the time, when the enemies will have their ultimates, when you should heal and when you should boost your allies. You have to know when the enemy will attack and then determinate if you will have to boost your DPS, heal your tank or get behind that Reindhart to later rez your dead allies.

Your whole post was good (if a bit visually jarring... bold text is best in moderation) but this in particular nails it. Simple mechanically, but hugely intimidating from a strategic point of view. This is why I consider her one of the hardest in the game to actually play.
07/09/2017 06:54 PMPosted by MofoMan2000
If she had no impact on the game, there'd be no reason to pick her, especially at higher ranks. Hell, she still has some problems at higher ranks.

Remember season 2 or 3 when there was no reason to pick her over Ana? Now what has changed? They made it so she could move when casting resurrect, made it reset GA cooldown and gave her invulnerability AFTER casting resurrect. The last change to Mercy came out at the end of February. And only just in the last few weeks she's a problem?

For a hero that doesn't really fit into a dive comp, there's an awful lot of salt about her in the middle of this dive centered meta. I'm pretty sure you people are just looking for another witch to hunt.

not all heroes need to be represented at high levels in the game. You wouldn't call for a torb, sym and junkrat change just because they're under represented in GM. Jeff has already mentioned that he's against that. Mercy shouldn't be any different.

People have complained about mercy for awhile, don't get it twisted. The difference now is that Pharah+Mercy is huge so she's played much more. Lucio got reworked making it a lot harder for mercy players to play anything else. She's really easy to climb with because she gains more and loses less than most other heroes. she can be carried really easily. and the fact that there are players with under 50% win rate that are climbing/staying the same rank. It's especially bad when you see they were gold last season and GM this season. So how about I ask you, what happened? how did a player go from gold to being a top500 player? was it they improved? hell no. that's no way somebody improves 2k sr in a season.

also the fact that players that can only play her are still running her when your team is running dive is stupid and shows they cant play anything else.
You can't stop the OW team from reworking her. You will have to learn to adapt,just like the Lucio mains did.
07/09/2017 06:54 PMPosted by MofoMan2000
For a hero that doesn't really fit into a dive comp, there's an awful lot of salt about her in the middle of this dive centered meta. I'm pretty sure you people are just looking for another witch to hunt.

The esport scene and the competitive ladder are separate entities. A lot of the community has made that clear by not picking around the meta report and just not watching Overwatch tournaments to begin with. Blizzard's stats for competitive pickrates, which Jeff Kaplan recently stated in a post, defend this too. Mercy has always been a problem, but it has become far more relevant because of recent inflated Mercy SR gains/losses on the competitive ladder.

She has always been a poorly designed hero meant only for introduction/making bad players feel good. She is now prevalent because of her larger impact not only on the game itself, but the system that matches players with each other. Fixing what is screwing up the system may be enough regardless of her design though. That should be the priority at the moment over looking at her design, because as much as it doesn't belong in the game, Blizzard is hellbent on keeping such heroes to always make sure people feel like they're doing well in their games. Blizzard will be far more willing to take a look into the underlying systems of the game over changing a character that people will cry about "killing their spirit" as they always do on the forums and reddit.
07/09/2017 07:28 PMPosted by Silawatsi
I'm a Mercy main too, and I'm ecstatic at the possibility of a rework. Mercy has a lot to keep track of, but not much she can actually do about it other than watch the train wreck and try to pick up the pieces afterwards.

I have no problem with the low skill floor, but the skill ceiling needs to be raised. There's not much difference between a platinum Mercy and a grandmaster one, because it's the extreme level of Mercy's team dependence (seriously, she can't use most of her kit without the cooperation of a teammate) that's the main factor holding any good Mercy player back.

Make the huge rezzes harder to pull off, but give Mercy more power over her own circumstances instead being restricted to solely acting by proxy - it's demoralizing playing Mercy with teammates that can't or won't do what needs to be done, and knowing that you don't have any tools to do it yourself. Mercy has nothing to directly contribute to the fight without dropping her role as a healer entirely (aka pulling out the purse gun).
A realistic mercy main ATLAST
you are right she dont need a rework, just a nerf
07/11/2017 09:06 AMPosted by OrbitalBlaze
A realistic mercy main ATLAST

That's really not much different from what any of us are saying though, and that poster makes good points. Necessary ones too, with the current trend being people fairly abjectly just petitioning to have her removed from the game, like the poster above me ^