Making a "Pyro" hero/villain, need discussion

General Discussion
It's a given that this game is eventually going to need a fire-user, though one question is what would be considered off-limits. For instance, would it be allowed for this character to use Molotov Cocktails, or would that be politically dicey? If you know the history of the Molotov, you'll understand what I mean. If not, Wikipedia should give you some context.

Obviously Blizzard isn't going to add shaders to each hero for when they are burning ala Gears of War (the Scorcher in that one is BRUTAL), though I imagine they'll have the voice actors with "AHHIMBURNING" cries like how they do such for "electrocuted" or "freezing".

And as for a kit for a Pyro, what do you guys think would be most suitable? Offense? Defense? Definitely not Tank or Support; those roles don't really mesh with flames.

I'd go for a Defense hero who can saturate large areas with DoT effects for extensive periods, basically chipping the enemy down by burning them over time. Incendiary weapons, Phosphorous, Thermite, etc. Any of those could be used.

Any thoughts? My rough kit will be below.

-----

Primary Fire (LMB): Flamethrower
Sprays fire at short range, damaging enemies over time. This does not require reloading, but builds up Heat as you fire it. Firing for too long without letting the weapon cool causes you to Overheat, rendering you unable to fire for several seconds.

Secondary Fire (RMB): Incendiary Grenade
Lob a grenade that explodes on impact, spreading a field of fire in an area that damages and slows enemies that pass through it. Targets directly struck take slight bonus damage.

Ultimate: Inferno
Release a wave of fire in all directions in a large radius (i.e. 20 meter radius), dealing damage and burning enemies in the AOE, and creating Scorched Earth in the affected area for a limited time. Enemies who are on Scorched Earth take damage over time and cannot be healed.

---

Open to more ideas.
That would be cool, eventually but I want another primary healer first. Ana and Mercy being the only options is severely lacking.
As long as they don't copy Paladins and make a flamethrower character like Fernando
A fire based character seems cool, but then the TF2 comparisons would trough the roof.

Also maybe the fire has damage over time, like the enemy is temporarily set on fire.
Hell no lmao pyro is already cancer in TF2 and we have mei.
07/08/2017 11:46 PMPosted by Hiyochan
Hell no lmao pyro is already cancer in TF2 and we have mei.

Honestly I want a pyro hero that is the complete opposite of mei, while keeping the same/ similar kit. The hero can be this really skinny, but evil personality hero. instead of shooting icicle, she shoots fireball.
07/08/2017 11:42 PMPosted by Shamou
A fire based character seems cool, but then the TF2 comparisons would trough the roof.

Also maybe the fire has damage over time, like the enemy is temporarily set on fire.

At this point, Overwatch has eclipsed TF2's popularity so no one will care about the small minority that makes that comparison
07/08/2017 11:42 PMPosted by Shamou

DoT is generally the direction I'd go in for a Pyro. Someone who is meant to spread damage across an entire enemy team as much as possible.
A great passive is that someone gets close they start getting burned, I would love to have a Fire Hero, would be cool if he's a talon member on the same level as Doomfist
Mei fills the traditional pyro role but you can always theme this character around damage over time. A defensive character where the fight works in his favor the longer it goes on.

Weapon-3 round burst, low initial damage, applies a weak dot that stacks on the target up to 6 or 9 times. Secondary fire a low magnification scope.

Passive-Cauterize, regenerates something like 20 or 30 percent health over time. Plays into the fact that he wants to draw the fight out.

Ability 1-Molotov, exactly like Stoker's from Dirty Bomb. You shut down an area for a few seconds or hurt them a ton if they try to walk through it.

Ability 2-Heal debuff, a projectile with drop that prevents or diminishes healing on a target for a few seconds. Adds an extra stack or two of the dot beyond the normal max to reward trying to hit it in combat.

Ult-Drains health from everyone in a certain radius, heals him slightly over time in the process.
07/09/2017 12:32 AMPosted by MagicKnight
A great passive is that someone gets close they start getting burned, I would love to have a Fire Hero, would be cool if he's a talon member on the same level as Doomfist
Immolation effects have to be non-passive for them to be fair, otherwise they'd be cheapass in a FPS. If it was a temporary effect that has to be timed, then it'd be okay.
07/08/2017 11:41 PMPosted by starfire
As long as they don't copy Paladins and make a flamethrower character like Fernando
guess you are in the

hot seat
I really hope and doubt they add a fire hero due to the "on fire" in game and Mei.
I don't know it just doesn't seem healthy for the game in general.
I think the weapon would be too similiar to mei's one, but if it doens't have to be a flamethrower it could be possible to have a fire based hero.
From what i'm feeling they are trying to go for unique weapon types (even if we already have like 4 shotguns...) so as i already said, just because ice and fire are opposite I see the flamethrower too similiar to the freeze gun
What about a talon pyromaniac that can cautaurize allies in healing but also do aoe fire damage. That way we get that 'evil support' checkbox filled.
I'm fairly certain Mei was the "pyro" hero they eventually arrived at after observing other flamethrower-wielding heroes in similar games.

It's definitely a nice twist on the area-denial/escalating DoT approach. :)
I'm not interested in a fire based hero being a member of Talon. I've conceived a flame based hero that's Mei's BFF (after thawing her from her icy bed in Antarctica.)

Real southern girl, born and partially raised near the Mexico/Texas border, maybe on a Native American Trust land (in REALLY bad shape after the Crisis.) Took up mechanics with all the hot rods, motorcycles, and clunkers in the region. Lots to salvage from the Omnic crisis. Joined up with the Los Muertos for a while, learned a lot about weaponry, machinery and Omnics through some of their members. Then they got hit, and she managed to get away, but for her, the Los Muertos were done for. She took it pretty hard.

Went home, decided she could put her skills to use improving livelihoods in the place she once called home. Tackling crime the vigilante way, repairing broken appliances, that sort of thing. Started with just her trust land, but then she hit the road to visit other trusts and bring them up to par. Made it a spiritual journey of sorts. Not really about learning about the Native Americans of old, but she took pride in what she learned of her heritage anyway. Did this over the course of a few years until she ended up in Alaska more out of sheer desire to finish the bucket list with visiting the Inuit people. The crisis didn't really extend up to Alaska.

She doesn't know how, but she ended up getting turned around at some point and ended up in Antarctica during a particularly nasty winter in Alaska. A natural ice bridge formed and she ended up crossing it unwittingly thinking she was headed south. Poor girl never really did experience a snowy winter before and didn't respect it enough, having started thinking herself a warrior capable of surmounting any obstacle more and more the longer her journey went. Her skills as a mechanic allowed her to modify her fusion engine cycle/suit (it transforms into an armor) to eject heat around her when she went into Alaska, and especially now it was keeping her warm until, as luck would have it, she stumbled upon the lost Antarctic base.

Unfortunately, Talon agents showed up at roughly the same moment, looking for data on weather manipulation technology. She only managed to wake up Mei before Talon cut off life support of the rest of the station's crew. From there... hrm... think it would be more exciting if Talon succeeded in their retrieval missions, but failed to take down the witnesses. After that scuffle, Winston recalled the members of Overwatch, Mei included. Now the two are headed south towards Watchpoint: Gibralter, both to reunite with comrades (well, Mei is anyway) and to warn of Talon's recent theft.

Naturally she's a little torn - Overwatch are the guys to warn, but they're also, in her mind, the bad people. She's also a former member of the very group they took down, which is like throwing a hen in with a pack of wolves from her perspective.

Name: Everest Jones
Alias: Blitzfire
Nationality: Native American (Mother)/Caucasian(Father)
Affiliation: (Formerly) Los Muertos
Role: Ironically despite the way her abilities appear... DEFENSE.

Blitzfire doesn't back down from a fight and always goes in with an infectious positive energy. She's the type to scream "THIS IS AWESOME!!!" in the middle of an intense scrap when she gets into the flow of things. A more energetic character to Mei's more tamed personality, but both are more prone to a positive outlook regardless of the situation. They make a damn fine team, honestly.

Abilities:
Primary Fire: Flamethrower. "Roasted!" Spreads a swirling flame in a cone. The cone is narrow in close, and wider afar, but the damage falls in tandem. Up close, damage is high, but from afar, it drops to negligible levels. Like 90 damage per second within 2m, out to maybe 10 per second at 15m, wherever max range is (longer than Winston's and Symmetra's, ideally.)

Secondary Fire: Heat blast. "BOOM!" An immediate attack the has such force it blows back both the enemy AND Blitzfire. Fair cool down length, fair damage (60-80, whatever is balanced.) Has multiple uses: being an escape/distancing tool, being a mobility tool, and/or being a burst damage tool.

Shift: Slam. "Look out beloooooooow!" Rockets her towards the ground, causing damage in a shockwave around her and stunning targets briefly (she could have a recovery animation herself, making it more of an ability stopper.) Height influences the radius of the shockwave.

E: Tar bomb. "Where're you goin', hot stuff?" Her only long range attack. Fires a ball of sticky tar that splatters a location. Enemies moving into the area have their movement slowed considerably.

Q: Ring of Fire. "Let's get this rodeo started!" She launches a drone into the air over a given location that spreads a dome of fire in an area around it. Enemies can pass through the flames, but will suffer considerable damage for it. Lasts 8, 10, or 12(?) seconds. Basically a crowd control/area denial ultimate that pins enemies caught inside to WELL WITHIN the range of her flame thrower.

Passive: Jetpack. Being that her exo-suit also transforms into a bike with a fusion core, the "exhaust ports" are placed in such a way as to expel intense quantities of heat, allowing her to gain flight for a period of time before needing cooling. In conjunction with Heatblast, she can really move around a map and get into people's faces. And if I do say so myself, accuracy problems are generally going to be a non-issue against Pharmacy when Blitzfire can float on over and just hose them with some half-assed aim. Mind, she suffers the same exposure to ground forces while airborne as they do.
I like the idea but no flamethrower. I'm fine with fire balls, but we already have symmetra and winston. We don't need another no skill like symmetra (winstons fine).
A fire based hero could be made into a support; he could have a very precise rifle with incendiary rounds, a slow rate of fire, and it can inflict a burn debuff. Then he could have a building that restores health to him and allies making him a camper of sorts.