McCree Isn't Bad...But FtH tho? You Need To Read This

Competitive Discussion
Let me start this off by saying I don't think McCree is bad. But as of this moment, and for the past numerous months since he saw his justified FtH nerf, he has been entirely slanted towards his left click, to the point that there's really no reason to use FtH except against barriers/tanks...but I think Blizz can change that.

FtH is such a cool ability that is literally laughed at & you will get scolded for using it.

FtH used to work in tandem with his flashbang because it did SO much damage that you could kill multiple targets (or a tank) with it, but now that it only does 270 damage it's sub-optimal in almost every case since you can just left click for a 140 damage headshot and only use 1 bullet.

With what I'm suggesting FtH could be used as a utility/mobility tool in nasty situations, at the cost of sacrificing damage. And left click would remain his high damaging precision tool. McCree players would have a choice on which attack best suits their current situation.

My Solution:
Give McCree a new passive that ties FtH and roll together.

Name it "High Roller", "Gunslinger" or "Fastest Gun in the West" or whatever you want, that's just what I came up with.

Every shot hit by FtH lowers rolls cooldown by 0.5 (or maybe even 1.0?) seconds, improving both FtH and roll, and making his kit feel more complete. Many people are calling for a flat out lower cooldown on roll, but I'd be more interested in making FtH a utility tool that decreases it's cooldown instead.

After all, McCree is the ONLY DPS character that has no protection abilities, self healing abilities, and next to zero mobility, and yet he still somehow has 200hp with the rest of them. His only escape right now is to shoot his way out of every situation, but I think this passive would help change that.

Thoughts?
If you think the passive is a bad idea, please explain why. And if you think it's a good idea, please bump!

I've heard plenty of "he's fine as is if you hit headshots" but never a real explanation as to why that's a reason to neglect FtH. I don't think there's a single character in the game where one part of their kit is entirely sub-optimal in almost every situation.

You almost never want to sacrifice the rest of your bullets when you can deal over half of FtH's entire damage with just 1 headshot.
I have no problems with killing people with single FtH after flashbang. Tanks usually take 2 FtH which is still fine and of course not necessarily should be combined with flashbang. IMO your suggestion is unnecessary.
07/09/2017 08:38 PMPosted by Hunter
I have no problems with killing people with single FtH after flashbang. Tanks usually take 2 FtH which is still fine and of course not necessarily should be combined with flashbang. IMO your suggestion is unnecessary.

I never argued that you can't still kill people with FtH, you can. But it's not optimal almost ever. You can deal 140 damage with a single headshot, &280 damage with a 2nd headshot instead of wasting 6 bullets to deal 270 damage. This passive would make FtH a better utility option for when you get in scary close quarters situations.
07/09/2017 08:48 PMPosted by Poytheon
instead of wasting 6 bullets to deal 270 damage

The reload doesn't take ages so I wouldn't call it a waste and so do we really need a change?
Why do people consider McCree's FtH an ok 1 shot kill combo, but Roadhog's hook 1 shot kill combo was not ok?
07/09/2017 08:55 PMPosted by Waz
Why do people consider McCree's FtH an ok 1 shot kill combo, but Roadhog's hook 1 shot kill combo was not ok?

Because its six shots.
07/09/2017 08:51 PMPosted by Hunter
07/09/2017 08:48 PMPosted by Poytheon
instead of wasting 6 bullets to deal 270 damage

The reload doesn't take ages so I wouldn't call it a waste and so do we really need a change?

Why would you ever want to use 6 bullets to deal 270 damage when you can use 2 to deal 280? What I'm suggesting is making FtH a better utility ability since it already sacrifices so much damage. You will almost never see Masters/GM players use FtH after flashbang because they know it's not worth using all your ammo for a fraction of the damage

07/09/2017 08:55 PMPosted by Waz

And yea, what hunter said. It uses all 6 of his bullets, can only be used in practically point blank range, and McCree doesn't have a way to pull people into it from across the map. Roadhog could right click one shot from mid range, AND pull people in from across the map to 1 shot them with left click, tanks included. It's not even a comparison. FtH is awful, Roadhog's OHK wasn't.
I like that idea a lot. It'd be really fun to play with, imho.
I'd suggest extending it to any one shot of his gun = less cooldown on the roll, which'd naturally include fan the hammer shots
I think it is a good idea and I am really glad to see mor constructive feedback on this forum. The only issue I see to having a faster cool down for roll would not help in this instance since it is better to use the roll immediately after the fan to reload. It would be better to keep roll up rather then use it.

It would also depend on how much it reduces the cool down because you can cancel fan with a roll and I can see where that could get some mileage if you could splash a bit of damage and roll into a headshot or two and then get your roll back faster so it's less of a waste.

MCree is a tough character to ballance because the smallest change can make him too powerful or too weak. He seems to be a character best served by balancing the other characters around him.