Allow Us To Self-Reset MMR Once Per Season

Competitive Discussion
..Or at least allow players the option at whatever time increment to do so. I'm completely unaware how impossible this would be to implement, but my thought is that if you allow players to reset their own MMR and base placements on individual performance instead of calculating current MMR against the previous seasons end SR (my guess of how it's done), then there shouldn't really be any complaining by anyone about where they're at, and good players that are stuck in bronze who are carrying games as much as they can have the ability to be ranked more close to their actual skill level.

Not sure what you guys think, but personally I would think this is a lot better for people that don't want to buy another copy of the game (unless that's what Blizz wants) :d.
You think blizz doesn't want people to buy extra copies? HAHAHAHA must be your first blizzard game
"Self reset MMR" Do you think before you post?
On console this is called "making a new account".
MMR just decides where you go with SR and gets updated every few games, i think what you mean is a SR reset personally i think they should do this by default each season, but the first 2 4 weeks no one gets there rank they can get 3000 sr but wont get diamond badge in the first 2 or 4 weeks so everyone gets stable SR rating first, after the 2 4 weeks you get your badge after winning least 30 games in that range.
Would not work nor help you, the system is broken at it's core, but more importantly, if people would keep resetting their rank it would mess up the system completely. The only way something like this could work is if every bodies rank is force reset every season, but for this seasons are just way too short.

That said, seasons are basically meaningless atm, last season there have been no significant changes, and placements are completely pointless, they are like a little sped up version of the random that happens in comp anyways.
Something needs to happen with comp quick, I am hoping the silence means they are debating and working on it as we speak.
I will even happily PAY a fee for an MMR reset. This would show the player base they actually do belong in their SR and that they aren't unfairly paying for their past sins/ getting hammered by the RNGesus of matchmaking.
I would also pay for MMR reset. New account doesn't have collected skins (some of them are seasonal and can't be even bought).
I don't honestly understand why we have to do placements every season. Once we've done it, unless there's a significant change to the skill rating algorithm, I feel we shouldn't need to do it again and be pushed down a few hundred SR as a 'reward' for participating in the new season. Yeah, yeah... we get a temporary bonus of skill rating after the placements, but season 5 has to be the worst season so far for the number of throwers I and my friends have come across (therefore making the bonus less meaningful).
Tldr: I want to make a new account to attempt to change my rank but not lose my skins. Yep not doubt it's going to happen but hey it is blizzard maybe they would let people pay to do something like this if they thought enough people would do this but are currently unwilling to buy a 2nd account. Personally paying mutiple times for the same game seems silly unless your trying to play with a family member or want The game on your Xbox /PS4 and pc
07/13/2017 08:54 AMPosted by GodPadre
I will even happily PAY a fee for an MMR reset. This would show the player base they actually do belong in their SR and that they aren't unfairly paying for their past sins/ getting hammered by the RNGesus of matchmaking.

but then after you inevitably ended up at the same rank you would just come up with another excuse or revert back to the belief that the system is broken.
If you want to reset your hidden MMR play a character you never play for a full week. Make sure to NOT switch off it no matter what, or the game will freeze your MMR.

Just hold your SR and try to win on the new character you're mediocre with. It'll reset eventually and you can swap back to your real main then.

I'm NOT telling you to throw. I'm telling you to TRY YOUR BEST on a hero you don't play for a couple of days.
07/13/2017 11:13 AMPosted by NoxiousFox
If you want to reset your hidden MMR play a character you never play for a full week. Make sure to NOT switch off it no matter what, or the game will freeze your MMR.

Just hold your SR and try to win on the new character you're mediocre with. It'll reset eventually and you can swap back to your real main then.

I'm NOT telling you to throw. I'm telling you to TRY YOUR BEST on a hero you don't play for a couple of days.

uhhh why would you even think the MMR system works in the way yuo are proposing. Where does this idea even come from its some sort of witchcraft lol.
07/13/2017 08:54 AMPosted by GodPadre

You would think so but people have a really good knack of making up things to complain about.
07/13/2017 11:16 AMPosted by alexfly
07/13/2017 11:13 AMPosted by NoxiousFox

uhhh why would you even think the MMR system works in the way yuo are proposing. Where does this idea even come from its some sort of witchcraft lol.

Matchmaker in comp works primarily by hidden MMR. It also has throw detection to prevent throwers from getting ez matches on the climb back up. If you're legit trying on a new character it'll see that. Warnecke said on twitter and people's empirical studies on the comp matchmaker show it's MMR based and if you're above average it pulls in below average people to balance you out.
Yeah let's do that!

I can keep rolling the dice until I'm happy enough with my roll and then keep it!

This is even worse than a full reset.
07/13/2017 07:45 AMPosted by TheCyo

The one advantage we have
07/13/2017 07:45 AMPosted by TheCyo

Yeah I was going to say, with family sharing we can just make a new account and play Overwatch with that, for free. Haven't done this yet but because I hate gold so much might as well try to get higher up.
I feel like the MMR reset is a red herring. You can go look at my profile, I finished last season at 1300. I'm 2300 now.

I made an alt about that time (because I wanted to play D.va when she was "off meta", boy that changed) and it placed around 2444 and has stayed around there (though I don't play it much, because it's pointless).

No MMR reset needed. I got better at the game this season, and the game gave me the SR to match.
If it's about money, I would pay 5-10bucks to reset my MMR.
In quick match, match them with player with the same level and then match them with the quick MMR system until its calculated.

Teambased MMR would help a lot too

Some heroes don't simply climb by git gud (proof here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC0RKm_O7Sw&t=768s). This would allow certain players to get the rank they belong.