Conversation with a negative winrate Mercy 1-trick

General Discussion
07/11/2017 03:14 AMPosted by VclScore
I just had one of the most shocking conversations of my life with one of the most clueless players I've ever met, (a top 500 Mercy 1-trick with 242 games won and 259 games lost). It's a long story but it's quite hilarious, so I encourage you to read. (there is a TL;DR in bolds though at the bottom)

I was in two games in a row with a duo that one of them played Pharah and the other was a Mercy 1-trick. The Pharah guy was in team chat. He wasn't saying anything particularly useful, but at least he was getting picks (with Mercy pocketing of course). The Mercy player on the other hand wasn't in team chat, but he often engaged in a behavior that I personally find particularly toxic and annoying. He spammed "thanks" every time somebody died or we lost a team fight. He also often died first and also died with rez many times (not from flakners or ults and he had a Pharah to fly to, so you can't say we didn't protect him). We won the first game and then we got in the same game together on Hanamura. I got 2 picks on the enemy supports on the first push (100 fire on Zen 48 on Mercy)but then my translocator ran out and died to a D.Va (because obviously our dear Mercy never healed anyone else other than his friend). We take the first point quickly because of my and Pharahs kills but then on the second point no one would kill anything other than me and the Pharah so we couldn't take the second point (the Mercy always spamming thanks even though he only rezzed once during the whole round). After a while with push after push failing and the Mercy not shutting up, I snapped and said on chat "will you please tell your friend to shut up?he's extremely annoying with his spam". Of course the guy defended his friend by diverting the conversation into why I'm playing Sombra on 2CP (yes he actually said that), then I just ended the ridiculous conversation, we moved to defense and lost right away (Mercy solo rezzed me on second point even though it was 5v4 in our favor and I didn't have ult, then the enemy Mercy rezzed the 2 dead players and they graved+death blossomed us and we lost. Nice game sense from our top 500 Mercy don't you think?)

Anyway after all that here are the messages I received:

You are trash
You get no picks and die first everytime (other than the Pharah he was pocketing I was literally the only one who got picks. Our tanks didn't touch the second point A SINGLE TIME I SWEAR and I didn't see our Soldier's name on the kill feed a single time)
There is a reason you are in masters (says the Mercy 1-trick with the 48% winrate)
They clearly did not have advantage when we lost (he's talking about the 6v4 that turned into 6v6 and before they ulted us and wiped us after he wasted his rez on 1 person. Keep in mind that it was 2nd point 2CP defense, which means we had massive spanw advantage)

I messaged him a few screenshots of my kills and asked him how it's possible to be a Mercy main and not even look at the kill feed I also told him this:
How are you top 500 with a 48% winrate?
Abusing the broken SR gains aren't we?

Here's the mindblowing answer I got:
I'm top 500 with a negative winrate because the sr system know I'm better than people like you so I lose less and gain more.

Yes he actually said that

And then people wonder why the community hates Mercy 1-tricks. I mean I dislike 1-tricks of any kind, but the Mercy 1-tricks in particular bring out the hater in me. They are just so annoying, entitled, and just generally clueless and oblivious as to how much effort it takes to play the carry roles that literally require you to bust your @ss while they just have to hide and press Q and get the most ridiculous amount of value this game has to offer.

I'm just gonna go ahead and say it. I'M SICK OF MERCY 1-TRICKS AND MERCY IN GENERAL. Seriously f***k that stupid ult of hers.
I can't wait for the rework. Hopefully Ana on Console get's buffed like we have been wanting too.
07/11/2017 03:42 AMPosted by Snakes
I'm sick of this hate towards Mercy in general. I apparently main Mercy nowadays (mostly because you're typically not "allowed" to play my actual main Reaper in comp). And I play Mercy as I believe she was meant to play. I regulary get upvoted at the end of a match so I will boldy assume I'm generally doing fine. I try to keep everyone healed at all times. Meaning I actually play to win the match. And playing Mercy as intended is not easy by any means. Not easier than playing Soldier, which by the the same argument is nothing but "Left click. Sprint. Repeat". Playing a good, decent even, Soldier 76 is obviously much more than left click. Same goes for Mercy.

But then we apparently have the so called one-trick Mercys. Who allegedly found a backdoor to cheat the competitive system. Which takes no effort at all, just hide out and jump in for the rezz. The way I see it, that's a comp problem. Not a Mercy problem. No hero should be able to just fly to T500 by hiding in a corner for the entire match.

But sure, go ahead and hate one-trick Mercys all you want. Hate any cheater. But stop saying Mercy is bad. Soldier 76 is pretty bad too if he hides out in a corner without any effort to win the game.

I was a mercy main in season 4 with more than 100 hours on the hero in total but I've grown to dislike her, mainly because of her ult, which imo is completely broken (I'm also not particularly fond of her personality either, but that's just me). The Mercy hate exists mainly because of her ult, the 1-tricks and the Pharmercy combo, all of which is completely justified.
07/11/2017 03:56 AMPosted by VclScore
07/11/2017 03:37 AMPosted by Yang
"Somebody playing X character was toxic. I hate everybody and anybody who dares to touch this character. And the character itself too, why not"

Sure, makes sense.

If I did that, I'd hate basically everybody except Winston players.

Winston is a cutie.

I never said I hate Mercy one tricks just because of one bad experience I've had, this is just your arbitrary assumption.

Oh is it now.

I'm just gonna go ahead and say it. I'M SICK OF MERCY 1-TRICKS AND MERCY IN GENERAL. Seriously f***k that stupid ult of hers.

Well.
I won't discuss with you any further so don't even try. It's clear that you're in the Mercy hate bandwagon , especially through your posts. I have no time for this anymore.
07/11/2017 03:20 AMPosted by zecleria
hold up, why hate mercy in general just for some retards maining her? as a mercy main who is not a otp, i can say the same about how annoying dps mains are, but blaming the hero for it is kind of stupid.

I dislike Mercy in general because of her ult. Imo it's completely broken and ruins the game. She also enables the Pharmercy combo which gives me one more reason to hate her. And at least during the Pharmercy Pharah actually does something that takes a little bit of skill. All Mercy does is glide and GA and gets her @ss carried by the Pharah. Very obnoxious.
I don't understand how people don't understand why some people hate mercy, or where the hate came from.
I've got a 48% win rate on Mercy and I'm hovering between high plat and low diamond. What gives? Am I healing my team too much?
OP; What a whiny little .... you are.
07/11/2017 04:05 AMPosted by VclScore
I dislike Mercy in general because of her ult. Imo it's completely broken and ruins the game. She also enables the Pharmercy combo which gives me one more reason to hate her. And at least during the Pharmercy Pharah actually does something that takes a little bit of skill. All Mercy does is glide and GA and gets her @ss carried by the Pharah. Very obnoxious.

All which are legitimate reasons to criticise Mercy. The typical critique is more in line of "Mercy is a stupidly easy charachter that requires no skill at all. Mercy mains just stand in the corner, hide, left click and fly up to t500 in no time at all". That's the attitude I'm sick of.
If you were playing on console, PharMercy is the only strategy that effectively wins you games.
07/11/2017 03:26 AMPosted by Akaro
I really can't wait for the Mercy rework, I want rez to be gone forever.

god bless i hope so.
07/11/2017 04:24 AMPosted by Halofreak90
I've got a 48% win rate on Mercy and I'm hovering between high plat and low diamond. What gives? Am I healing my team too much?

yes actually. fakin funny isnt it... :D

1.) heal to get Q
2.) let them die
3.) ?
4.) Res
5.) Profit.

and repeat. This is mercy.
07/11/2017 03:20 AMPosted by zecleria
ay the same about how annoying dps mains are, but blaming the hero for it is

"mains" are not the problem.. PPL WHO NEVER SWITCH AND GETTING REWARDS FOR THIS ARE!

overwatch was introduced as a game about COUNTERPICKING and SWITCHING.. yet the system PUNISHES flexible people.
48% winrate isn't even that terrible. It's a difference of about 20 games in this case but.. sounds like you just got tilted, and decided to hop on the bandwagon because you knew everyone would agree since you slammed 'otp' 'mercy' and 'winrate' together.

You know you were performing well. In this case, just block them and move on. You're gonna have toxic people at your rank-- because there's a lot of them that ride on the 'I'm a GM/top 500' ego.
07/11/2017 05:20 AMPosted by NotPisces
48% winrate isn't even that terrible. It's a difference of about 20 games in this case

If I'm not climbing w/ a 53.4% winrate then Idk why Mercy players can climb w/ <50% ones.
07/11/2017 05:23 AMPosted by Yurei
07/11/2017 05:20 AMPosted by NotPisces
48% winrate isn't even that terrible. It's a difference of about 20 games in this case

If I'm not climbing w/ a 53.4% winrate then Idk why Mercy players can climb w/ <50% ones.

because the system encourages one-trick play. it's simply that. It's not a Mercy problem-- not necessarily. Her 'stat to pad' is her rez, making it a very obvious thing.

and the system also factors in the previous seasons. That person may've been high last season, and this season is being forgiving because they're one tricking and padding stats, looking as though they're performing as expected.

the SR system is not perfect. it needs tweaks. as it stands, I prefer individual performance-based SR than equal gains for the team. but-- preferably, I'd rather a better system to avoid the stat pads.
07/11/2017 05:15 AMPosted by Ahaa

yes actually. fakin funny isnt it... :D

1.) heal to get Q
2.) let them die
3.) ?
4.) Res
5.) Profit.

and repeat. This is mercy.

I would never let my team die on purpose. Never. If nothing else, I'd be pretty worried about being reported and flamed back to the stoneage. I'd crucify anyone playing Mercy next to me, who'd refuse to heal me and instead just watch me die in order to rezz me.

So I would say your observation of typical Mercy gameplay is inaccurate. I've never throwed a game being Mercy in the fashion you describe. I can't recall being mistreated by any Mercy in that fashion either. But you are saying this is all too common and people get away with it without being reported?
They are just so annoying, entitled, and just generally clueless and oblivious as to how much effort it takes to play the carry roles that literally require you to bust your @ss while they just have to hide and press Q and get the most ridiculous amount of value this game has to offer.

1) You can't carry in a game based on teamplay unless you're playing way, WAY above your SR. You can probably give them an edge, but you can't carry them.

2) "just have to hide and press Q" Right. So that is why every Mercy ever is GM/T500. Okay.

Edit: Spamming "Thanks" for being salty and playing the blame game during/after the match sucks. I agree. It'd tilt me over the moon. Boosted (Mercy) players suck too, or Mercy players who abuse SR gains.

But, remember: bad rezzes happen to the BEST of Mercy players, those who aren't boosted or abusing SR gains. You can't predict every outcome, sometimes the enemy wins against all odds. You can't expect Mercy players to only ever get it right. Just like Mercy players shouldn't expect their team to always get it right, either.
OTPs in general suck but I find Mercy OTPs to be te worst out of all of them.
07/11/2017 05:44 AMPosted by Diana
They are just so annoying, entitled, and just generally clueless and oblivious as to how much effort it takes to play the carry roles that literally require you to bust your @ss while they just have to hide and press Q and get the most ridiculous amount of value this game has to offer.

1) You can't carry in a game based on teamplay unless you're playing way, WAY above your SR. You can probably give them an edge, but you can't carry them.

2) "just have to hide and press Q" Right. So that is why every Mercy ever is GM/T500. Okay.

Edit: Spamming "Thanks" for being salty and playing the blame game during/after the match sucks. I agree. It'd tilt me over the moon. Boosted (Mercy) players suck too, or Mercy players who abuse SR gains.

But, remember: bad rezzes happen to the BEST of Mercy players, those who aren't boosted or abusing SR gains. You can't predict every outcome, sometimes the enemy wins against all odds. You can't expect Mercy players to only ever get it right. Just like Mercy players shouldn't expect their team to always get it right, either.

I disagree. I was struggling a lot to win games in the past seasons where I would play mostly support. Whenever I asked my friends, who were much higher SR than me, why I could't climb, their answer was "you are playing support". They told me to only play support when I know I'm in a good team. I listened to their advice finally this season and went from a player stuck in diamond (barely managed to finish in masters) for 2 seasons, to high masters/low GM. The difference in my winrates and my overall enjoyment of the game was insane.

Sure there isn't that much potential for solo carry in this game, but there is some.
07/11/2017 03:42 AMPosted by Snakes
I'm sick of this hate towards Mercy in general. I apparently main Mercy nowadays (mostly because you're typically not "allowed" to play my actual main Reaper in comp). And I play Mercy as I believe she was meant to play. I regulary get upvoted at the end of a match so I will boldy assume I'm generally doing fine. I try to keep everyone healed at all times. Meaning I actually play to win the match. And playing Mercy as intended is not easy by any means. Not easier than playing Soldier, which by the the same argument is nothing but "Left click. Sprint. Repeat". Playing a good, decent even, Soldier 76 is obviously much more than left click. Same goes for Mercy.

But then we apparently have the so called one-trick Mercys. Who allegedly found a backdoor to cheat the competitive system. Which takes no effort at all, just hide out and jump in for the rezz. The way I see it, that's a comp problem. Not a Mercy problem. No hero should be able to just fly to T500 by hiding in a corner for the entire match.

But sure, go ahead and hate one-trick Mercys all you want. Hate any cheater. But stop saying Mercy is bad. Soldier 76 is pretty bad too if he hides out in a corner without any effort to win the game.

Mercy overall is poorly designed. A lot of her kit encourages some really crappy behavior and play quality because she's been buffed into a hand-holding state. She can heal and resurrect through walls, GA over to souls to very rapidly get in range and is reward INVULNERABILITY if she fires it off despite being literally the last target to shoot, healing kicks in after 1 second of not taking damage thus affording her some real $#!% positioning she can GA away from and her ultimate charges very fast. The whack SR gains are more a fault of the SR system, but overall, she's been noobified because people hated dying and wouldn't shut up about it.

She's not "harder" than any other character in the game to play. Everyone has to worry about positioning, every healer has to pay attention to whom needs healing, everyone needs to know when to get out of the way of an incoming ult storm, etc. She is literally the easiest character to play for the sheer fact that she doesn't ask a player to incorporate as many skills as literally every other character demands of the player.

The hate Mercy gets is pretty justified, actually. There's just so many damn Mercy mains they can actually drown out the opposition. Many of said mains have attitude and ego problems, which only fuels the fires against Mercy.