The 25 hour grind Blizzard forces on you

Competitive Discussion
Sometimes, when I look at Blizzard's SR system, I tend to look at Paladins' MMR system on how you're awarded. Its purely based on performance on your hero on how you can get yourself to win and its based on MS Trueskill. To be fair, the teamplay in it is a bit weaker than Overwatch, but when you win or lose, the numbers don't lie. But hey, the best thing about it is that you can't be part of the global top 100 or even a high enough tier if you one-trick. The system somehow punishes you for one-tricking. The matchmaking algorithms are fine and dandy, the way the game works is literally in a sense that the only way to troll is to die on purpose.

Strange how Hi-Rez, a company notorious for most likely screwing their own game/s up ends up having a competitive system that covers a much bigger chunk of what I think the OW community wants. Don't like one-trickers? The system natively punishes that, no need for reports or complaints. Don't like trolls? How do you even troll in this game? A system that rewards players who flex? Yep, even if you can't switch heroes mid-game. Rating distribution based on performance and win? Hell yeah! Being able to solo-carry? Perfectly possible and not a myth at all.
On my main account, I pretty well during my placements. I got placed literally 10 points lower from where I ended last season. Ten.

I saw everyone complaining about "oMG i WEnT 69-0 EVERy PLAcEMENT maTCH and STILL goT PlaCED SiLVER itS r i g g e d REEEE" so I decided to play my main hero on my alt account (which wasn't placed as high because I used it to play with my lower ranking friends last season.) Surely, I'd do just as well as all of the complainers on the forums would have, so it should place me around 100 to 200 lower, regardless of how well I did. Surely, my experience placing my main was just a fluke.

I absolutely decimated during my placements on my alt.
Got placed a little over 100 SR above where it ended last season.
I didn't even win all of those games, so I'm really not sure where people are getting this whole "it doesn't matter how well I do in my placements" business from.

On my main, I got back to where I ended last season in literally a single game.
Almost an entire tier above where I started on my alt as of right now, and I haven't even played that many games. Really just coasting off of the boosted gains you get at the beginning.

If you're as good as you think you are, then surely you'll have no problem getting back to where you ended last season, what with your superior skills and boosted SR gains.

sigh
Every other post on this forum is just bashing Blizzard in some way. It's disheartening and annoying.
Season 2 behind the scenes, minor partial SR reset.

Result : People were getting placed higher than they were capable of considering Season 1. This led to : "I can't climb since placement." "This is depressing, I can't win a single game after placement."

Response : Start people lower so that they can climb up faster.

That's what you're missing. I can easily pick apart what's wrong with this approach and take it apart badly but it's you people that forced this upon yourselves. You say Blizzard doesn't respond to the people, but all these !@#$ty gameplay balance/approaches come from putting out the loudest fires from the media/forums.
07/13/2017 07:40 AMPosted by tagless
sigh
Every other post on this forum is just bashing Blizzard in some way. It's disheartening and annoying.

I take $500 from you.
And then tell you, "No prob, you can earn it back in the next 25 hours".

Even an obviously bad idea like this gets defended by you guys. I wonder where your limit is. What would Blizz have to do to stop your bright eyed fan-boying?
07/13/2017 07:59 AMPosted by TheCyo
07/13/2017 07:40 AMPosted by tagless
sigh

I take $500 from you.

Even an obviously bad idea like this gets defended by you guys. I wonder where your limit is. What would Blizz have to do to stop your bright eyed fan-boying?

It's too bad this !@#$ system came from people like yourselves that have to come up with excuses for how bad they are.
What a disrespectful attitude...
Players are not cows, and looks like OW will be just one more game created and ruined by this company.

I think E-Sport teams will think twice before investing huge amounts of money into company with such behaviour.

Also not surprised why community is so toxic in OW.
There is a reason they start you lower then they think you belong and it's because of new players.

When I first started in season 3, I was placed in silver (1.6k), and I was not a silver player. I went on a huge losing streak to bronze (lost 600 SR). This is does not leave a new player with a good impression of competitive. I almost quit honesty, so I can't imagine how many people must have done so if they had the same experience as me when first starting (it must have been a lot since blizzard changed placements in season 4).

So instead, they now place you lower, so you have a chance to start off winning instead of losing, which would encourage new players to stay playing in comp longer.

That is my hypothesis at least.
I think the lower ranked you are the more of an SR hit you take after placements but that's just my theory. My gold account placed in silver, my diamond account placed like literally just a few points away from diamond. Then friends in master/GM Placed pretty much where they left off. One of them even placed directly into GM, no loss of SR at all.

So my take from that is that Blizzard is catering to the higher ranked players.
Yeah... a temporary boost after placements which could end up being meaningless with the amount of throwers in matches these days (worst by far this season). Placements were a joke too. A few seasons ago it used to be more leavers than throwers, now it seems like way more throwers than leavers. It's been a while since I've seen a leaver in my matches.
lol the fact that it takes hours and hours to move up just 300 sr is indicative of the fact that you are being placed at your appropriate skill range.
50 games are you fr?!!! this is bs
It's telling that they would rather play the psychology game, than actually addressing questions and flaws with the system.

Other examples:

- It used to be when you lost a match, you'd see the SR count down at the end screen (the same way it still counts UP when you win a game). Now, they just show you your new SR to prevent you from realizing how much you lost.

- In the first season, you'd see the actual SR rank of teammates and opponents on the tab screen. Now, it's just the rank symbol (gold, plat, etc).

The developers have decided (on your behalf) that you are better off if they mislead you.
In a game where the true obstacle is your own team which by default will make you lose about 25 of those 50 making you have to win an additional 75 games, this if you're lucky enough to encounter good team mates, the whole idea of having to win 50 games is flawed.
07/13/2017 09:18 AMPosted by Valkyrie
In a game where the true obstacle is your own team which by default will make you lose about 25 of those 50 making you have to win an additional 75 games, this if you're lucky enough to encounter good team mates, the whole idea of having to win 50 games is flawed.

You don't have to win 50 games. The assumption is that you play 50 games probably around a 50% win rate and since your MMR is higher than SR you should rank up over the course of those games. That said, I don't think I've ever met someone who would take that long to go up 200 SR with the post placement boost. Even at a 50% winrate, with the SR gains I get from the matches after placement it only takes maybe 20-25 games to get 200-250 SR.
Oh the arrogance. I don't need special treatment. Either I progress, or I don't. Please stop thinking I need babysitting. Do you not have confidence in your own game being good enough to keep us playing? I guess not; and I'm beginning to that's actually the case. The game lacks in so many areas...
I still play OW a bunch, but this is why I stopped playing comp. I wish we could just get rid of placements altogether and just continue on from our last SR number. If at season end you are a diamond at 2600, then at the start of the new season you become plat 2600 and you work your way back before the season ends. I still think it's good to keep the seasons for rewards but people want to improve not fight to achieve where they once were.
07/13/2017 07:59 AMPosted by TheCyo
I take $500 from you.

Except it wouldn't? Lmao

I'm not saying that the matchmaker/ranking system is perfect. Anyone that puts more than about 5 minutes of thought into it would realize that there are so many different variables in a team-based game like this that creating a system that takes into account both statistics you can measure and skills that you can't (decision-making, communication skills, game sense, etc) is impossible.

I'm just saying it's nowhere near as bad as people are making it out to be. I'll try and see if I can find a stat tracker that would keep track of progress over all seasons for a player and link it to show that I wasn't making up the stuff about my placements.

At the end of the day, it is possible to end up <20 SR underneath (or even in some cases over) where you ended your last season during your placement matches. People here are contending that climbing back to the rank you had at the end of the season takes anything even close to 50 games, and I still contend that it simply isn't the case. Making excuses and blaming Blizzard isn't going to help you climb. It just isn't.

The longer I spend on these forums, the more I see why most of the higher ranking players that spam "git gud scrub" and all that are the way they are.

Having to sift through exaggerated complaint after complaint just to get to some actual competitive discussion is tiring.
See that article? That article quotes Scott Mercer as saying 50 games.

So if you did it in 5, that's nice for you. And you happen to not be part of what Blizzard is expecting most people to do.

That should be enough of an explanation of anyone's anomaly, or personally decent play. So to expect the vast majority of other people to be like you is just stupidity. Not singling out anyone so much as I am singling out this point and the people who don't take the extra steps to think it through.

If you're at the top, guess what, you are a minority. That's how it works, and it should be obvious. Or you would be an average player and not at the top, wouldn't you? Yeah.

What happens in this article, I think it's clear, is that it is talking about the vast majority of player experiences. Then to have Mercer basically admit to setting everyone back on average shows how ignorant the idea was. If the SR system is supposed to adjust everyone to the point that they belong at, there should be no reason to set anyone back. Reasoning that it makes people feel better if they are artificially score dropped so they can come back in 50 games deserves all the outrage for being so obviously stupid. That applies, really, to at least the rightfully huge number of complaints out there, and also might bother you if you are a decent player, and want to maintain your deservedly high score.

Don't even know why it needs so much explanation other than some people want to actively avoid any bad news whatsoever. That's not coming down on true fans, its coming down on non-thinking fanbois. You can be a fan and still not surrender your brain.
07/13/2017 05:01 AMPosted by Tankz
Good thing you seem to forget to mention the big !@# rating boost you get at the start of your placement to even it out.

Also, how dare you spend time on an FPS improving and such, why can't you just grind the ladder to the top in less than a day?! REEEEEEEE

edit - i am mentally redcharged

Ree jokes are bad for enough reasons that you ought to stop them.

Hope this helps as you mature and grow into an adult in the coming years.
I think this is stupid. Why would you be placed that low, it makes no sense at all. Don't want to be placed in high plat again when I ended the season at 3200.