Saying GG at the end of the game...

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 11 Next
I've never seen GG taken as a bad thing until Overwatch. Ive used it and seen it used for years as a way of saying Good Game. The ONLY time I've ever seen someone assume it was a bad thing is when they got stomped and were salty and responded as such by saying something like "Yea for you..." or "Not really...." otherwise UNTIL THIS GAME it was just a sign of respect or Courtesy people use. Like saying Hello or Goodbye or good luck or thanks or God Bless you.
I just about always say it, unless I lost and the winners are being cocky about it.

It's like the handshakes at the end of a soccer match, just a reminder yourself and everyone that it's a game and we're all here to have fun.
the very fact that this thread exists is an insult. all you millennials will always whine on the most trivial things, won't you? for as long as i've been playing multiplayer video games, we say "gg" when we feel like it, and it has ALWAYS been understood as a gesture of good sportsmanship, anybody who feels otherwise should stop playing online video games and go back to spelling school. and i'm damn well not going to stop because a few snowflakes feel cringy or offended by it. you can report me if you feel like it, but make sure you tell Blizzard "oooh i'm a baby i can't stand them calling me names" even when we're not. gg all
The way i see it is, if you don't start off the game with a GL;HF then you probably shouldn't say anything at all during end of match.
07/04/2017 01:33 PMPosted by to0ty
did you say it first when you win or when you lose

if you say it first when you win then yea ur rubbing it in. they just lost and lost SR.

if they say it first then fine say gg back

if you say gg first it is considered extreme badmanner. in SC2 pro gamers in korea is disciplined for saying gg first in a match before the loser say it......so they end up doing manner hatchery, nexus

also if you say it first as the winner you are implying that your opponent should "git gud"

also people almost never gg when lose in this game but only gg when win. ur basically partying it up at the misery of the losers

its basically EQ knowing when to say it and where to say it. if you want to congratulate your teamate then you must do it in teamchat only.....its basic etiquette

In Starcraft it's considered BM to not say gg period. You'll usually see it from the loser first though because they see their base being overrun and decide to just quit rather than wait for the "defeat" scene to pop up. So they go "gg" and then hit surrender.

"gg" has been in existence far longer than Overwatch and predates Starcraft 2 by many years. I can't believe how salty people get over 2 simple letters whose literal meaning is "good game".
I think let the losing team say "gg" first.
07/04/2017 10:11 PMPosted by Esoterica
07/04/2017 01:46 PMPosted by Kitt
Being a gamer who's been playing online shooters since Quake. It's always just meant "good game" and I say it for win or loss, regardless by how good or bad the game went.

It's just a sign of being respectful and that's it. I don't plan on stopping now either because someones feelings got hurt.

Sorry 5 dislikes, but I'm not going to cater to you whining. I don't plan on ever stopping this as long as I am a gamer and you're going to just have to deal with it.

So...you're saying people need to git gud?

Or gg?

Things *do* change over time....

Can't really help it if they're morons, people misinterpreting the term aren't really my problem either. More so when they can easily google it and find out it only means "Good Game".
07/05/2017 06:41 AMPosted by Affy
In Starcraft it's considered BM to not say gg period. You'll usually see it from the loser first though because they see their base being overrun and decide to just quit rather than wait for the "defeat" scene to pop up. So they go "gg" and then hit surrender.

"gg" has been in existence far longer than Overwatch and predates Starcraft 2 by many years. I can't believe how salty people get over 2 simple letters whose literal meaning is "good game".

The salt probably comes from the perceived lack of effort, as I mentioned above.

If the only effort you're willing to put forth to acknowledge your opponent is pressing four keys on your keyboard, that sends an unwritten message that you really don't care about the quality of the match, or the skill of your opponent. If you did care you would at least put forth the effort to type it out, or to put a personal touch. This is why I'm typically silent, but take the time to type "well played!" at the end of a good match.

The point is that people think it's insulting if you're only pretending to care (and if you mindlessly throw out gg at the end of every match, you give that impression if the match was a one-sided stomp). In this case, it's better to say nothing at all as opposed to throwing out a meaningless platitude.
07/05/2017 06:14 AMPosted by Erras
No, the game wasn't good. Don't rub it in my face and don't lie to me about it.

QFT.

But then I have match chat turned off the picosecond it becomes selectable and type in match chat how fun it is to lose to neckbeards.
I only say gg after my team stomps the enemy team knowing that it was not a good game. But i know it triggers them :)
Next time you're in comp, after you win round 1, say "gr" (which means great round) and you will piss the enemy team off to no end. Psycology.
The fact that people assume GG is a taunt at the end as opposed to frendliness is proof of how toxic the OW community is.
The only time I take it bad is when my team was just stomped, we rotate a 6th player for most of the match, someone's spawn camping my team, and I literally don't get the chance to play outside of the death screen. Then when the other side goes GG, it feels like rubbing salt into the wound they so meticulously cut.

Also hate it when I'm on a losing streak and it's because I keep ending up on teams with an AFK person or being forced into a healer role and being abused by the five DPS when I ask for a tank.

I take it as the literal definition of someone saying it was a good game. And if I spent the whole match being abused or not being able to play, it wasn't a good game in any definition of the world, regardless of sportsmanship.
07/05/2017 07:48 AMPosted by Specialneeds
07/05/2017 06:41 AMPosted by Affy

The salt probably comes from the perceived lack of effort, as I mentioned above.

If the only effort you're willing to put forth to acknowledge your opponent is pressing four keys on your keyboard, that sends an unwritten message that you really don't care about the quality of the match, or the skill of your opponent. If you did care you would at least put forth the effort to type it out, or to put a personal touch. This is why I'm typically silent, but take the time to type "well played!" at the end of a good match.

The point is that people think it's insulting if you're only pretending to care (and if you mindlessly throw out gg at the end of every match, you give that impression if the match was a one-sided stomp). In this case, it's better to say nothing at all as opposed to throwing out a meaningless platitude.

I think you're over analyzing it. I do agree that "gg" is largely meaningless due to it's over use in games for years (another reason why I don't understand how salty people get). However meaningless it may be though it's still what I would call a social norm in online gaming. Whether you thought the game was truly good or not it's still a social custom to acknowledge your opponent at the end of a match in all forms of competition.
So many people lying to themselves and everyone else.

Sure there ARE some people who genuinely are just using it for good sportsmanship and say it regardless of if they win or lose, but its not nearly as much as would be implied by all the posts here.

Just test for yourself, after each game look at everyone who says GG at the end of the game, im willing to bet after a handful of games the number of people on the winning team that say GG at the end will FAR outnumber the people on the losing team that say it.

90%of the time people only say GG when they win, they aren't showing good sportsmanship, they are gloating, even if they don't consciously acknowledge it, they subconsciously think any game they win was "good and fair" but their lost games weren't because of whatever reason they believe and they wont say GG

you can disagree with me, but invite you to test it yourself, if what i say isn't true there wouldn't be such a HUGE disparity between the number of people who say GG depending on whether they were on the winning team or losing team

If you use GG purely in good sportsmanship your either the minority or lying to yourself
I say it if we win or lose. Think of it like the handshake after a sporting event - that was the original intent back when I saw it become a thing when playing QuakeWorld. If there's another meaning I'm unaware of it.
07/05/2017 09:00 AMPosted by Kayberz
So many people lying to themselves and everyone else.

Sure there ARE some people who genuinely are just using it for good sportsmanship and say it regardless of if they win or lose, but its not nearly as much as would be implied by all the posts here.

Just test for yourself, after each game look at everyone who says GG at the end of the game, im willing to bet after a handful of games the number of people on the winning team that say GG at the end will FAR outnumber the people on the losing team that say it.

90%of the time people only say GG when they win, they aren't showing good sportsmanship, they are gloating, even if they don't consciously acknowledge it, they subconsciously think any game they win was "good and fair" but their lost games weren't because of whatever reason they believe and they wont say GG

you can disagree with me, but invite you to test it yourself, if what i say isn't true there wouldn't be such a HUGE disparity between the number of people who say GG depending on whether they were on the winning team or losing team

If you use GG purely in good sportsmanship your either the minority or lying to yourself

I don't disagree with your numbers, but I do disagree with your conjecture.

Yes, most instances of "gg" that you will find will come from the winning team. Are they doing it to gloat? I don't think so. I think they are doing it because it's "good sportsmanship" and it's just easier to be a good sport about things when you're on the winning side. I rarely feel that a GG from the opposing winning team is intended to gloat (the only times I feel that way are when there are other contextual clues that have happened).
I personally rarely ever say it anymore tbh

Only when I actually feel as if it was a good clash between both teams, do I feel to throw up a gg

But when its a literal stomp or the other team has a leaver or thrower, thats a bg

There are people willing to gg ez people and still trash talk even when the enemy team suffers from a leaver. Totally didn't think that was possible.
I've totally been raged at cause of this, so instead of gg I like to just say stuff like "awesome game." And "great fight guys, good luck on your next match. :)" It helps lighten the mood, and brings down any unnecessary tension.
07/05/2017 06:31 AMPosted by GrumpyPants
I've never seen GG taken as a bad thing until Overwatch. Ive used it and seen it used for years as a way of saying Good Game. The ONLY time I've ever seen someone assume it was a bad thing is when they got stomped and were salty and responded as such by saying something like "Yea for you..." or "Not really...." otherwise UNTIL THIS GAME it was just a sign of respect or Courtesy people use. Like saying Hello or Goodbye or good luck or thanks or God Bless you.

it's been a negative thing for a long time. since starcraft 1 (the earliest I know about) people would say gg as a way of basically declaring themselves the winner before the game was even finished
07/05/2017 09:26 AMPosted by Affy

I don't disagree with your numbers, but I do disagree with your conjecture.

Yes, most instances of "gg" that you will find will come from the winning team. Are they doing it to gloat? I don't think so. I think they are doing it because it's "good sportsmanship" and it's just easier to be a good sport about things when you're on the winning side. I rarely feel that a GG from the opposing winning team is intended to gloat (the only times I feel that way are when there are other contextual clues that have happened).

Or just out of habit.

Online, you can get away with saying GG while doing some happy dance and flipping the enemy team off while being safely behind your screen.