Saying GG at the end of the game...

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 11 Next
07/05/2017 07:48 AMPosted by Specialneeds
07/05/2017 06:41 AMPosted by Affy
In Starcraft it's considered BM to not say gg period. You'll usually see it from the loser first though because they see their base being overrun and decide to just quit rather than wait for the "defeat" scene to pop up. So they go "gg" and then hit surrender.

"gg" has been in existence far longer than Overwatch and predates Starcraft 2 by many years. I can't believe how salty people get over 2 simple letters whose literal meaning is "good game".

The salt probably comes from the perceived lack of effort, as I mentioned above.

If the only effort you're willing to put forth to acknowledge your opponent is pressing four keys on your keyboard, that sends an unwritten message that you really don't care about the quality of the match, or the skill of your opponent. If you did care you would at least put forth the effort to type it out, or to put a personal touch. This is why I'm typically silent, but take the time to type "well played!" at the end of a good match.

The point is that people think it's insulting if you're only pretending to care (and if you mindlessly throw out gg at the end of every match, you give that impression if the match was a one-sided stomp). In this case, it's better to say nothing at all as opposed to throwing out a meaningless platitude.

THIS. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Again... as I've said before in this tread... just be genuine.
07/04/2017 01:44 PMPosted by ramencup
I say it out of respect, I didn't know people interpreted it as mocking.
it's exclusive to the overwatch community.
I normally say "good game guys"
07/05/2017 08:45 PMPosted by Magnatross
it's exclusive to the overwatch community.
overwatch does have a lot of exclusivity
I leave it up to the loser - if they are salty I don't want to rub it in
Reported, reporting and will report all people if they are saying this to defeated team in orange chat. Respect you opponents and not mocking them with you "gg", "ez" and etc. Want fix this? Remove completely match chat from the game. Its unnecessary and most of time produce only toxicity.
seems people forgot GG means good game, if it is said after a completely 1 sided stomping, well that is not exactly a good game is it?

so it is either said from a place of condescension or mindless parroting.

either way, it lost all significance.
07/04/2017 01:30 PMPosted by Stormy
Is not always a bad thing. When someone says gg it doesn't always mean they're trying to mock you even if you feel like it was a bad game. I had 2 people in the game game get upset at us because we won AND we said gg at the end. For me saying gg is just a habbit. I say it every game. It's when people say gg ez is when they are trying to mock you.

I'm with you. I'm old school. We've been saying gg since Quake. It means "good game" and I've always considered it match etiquette to say after we play (like shaking hands after a hockey playoff series). I say it win or lose.
gg
People only say gg when they win
09/18/2017 08:54 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
Is not always a bad thing. When someone says gg it doesn't always mean they're trying to mock you even if you feel like it was a bad game. I had 2 people in the game game get upset at us because we won AND we said gg at the end. For me saying gg is just a habbit. I say it every game. It's when people say gg ez is when they are trying to mock you.

I'm with you. I'm old school. We've been saying gg since Quake. It means "good game" and I've always considered it match etiquette to say after we play (like shaking hands after a hockey playoff series). I say it win or lose.

Shame we can't say it on console because no one uses mic's and there is no text chat.

GG Blizzard.

I agree with this, it's going to mean good game for me always. It's just being polite, I strive to say good game when I lose more than when I win. Thanks papa jeff

EDIT: lol I suck at spelling

You're going to need some juicier posts if your going to satisfy the OW YouTube community my friend.

Please implement sportsmanship in next patch, k thx.

Lul :P

-cheers

Ladies and Gentleman
09/18/2017 08:56 AMPosted by ŴĬDǾŴMǺƘĔŖ
People only say gg when they win

Nope, I even say it when I lose, especially if it was close. I am old school, been gaming for 30+ years. GG is the polite thing to do, kind of like shaking hands.

I don't mind being told it when my team gets rolled either. You just do it.
For me saying gg is just a habbit.

The problem with this is that it is a meaningless empty gesture if you just do it regardless of anything.

And if you say it as the winner first it feels to be in poor taste as the loser. After about 8000 or so games I can safety say that 95% of the time GG is only said by the winner of the match. If you are in the 5% that says GG as the loser than you are the only ones with actual sportsmanship. The only appropriate time would be as the loser as a sign of conceding.

I don't care if you do it, but I'm probably going to think you are being rude. Which is kind of the norm on the internet anyway.

This is my take on it as well. Been doing this since the original Starcraft days and don't really plan on stopping. It's not my fault that kids think I'm trying to insult them after a win. I try to say gg after every game, even if I get totally stomped. I'll even throw a WP in there if the enemy team completely trashes us.
Hey Forum just wanted to say....

I rather people say GG than having to see people say they have insecurity problems or crippling depression.

Looming signing out.
stomps the enemy team
"well played"