As a tank player, how do I deal with reaper?

General Discussion
Reaper is in every game it seems now, and I don't know what to do.

I know Reaper is a tank counter so I know he should do well vs me but its so good that a majority of my games I switch off a tank all together and my team starts yelling why do we not have a tank?!

I try telling my team I cant do anything if this reaper just marches in to us ever time kills me and floats off and no one punishes him.

I try going Dva and DMing him and telling people to focus him I have him DMed but usually just ends in me dieing to him while my team i complaining a Genji or Tracer killing them.

I honestly have quit doing comp in till I can figure out how to handle Reaper because every tank I play just gets deleted so quickly and I don't know what the hell to do.
Step one: Avoid reaper

Step two: There is no step two.
<-----
Get your frien- I mean DPS teammates to do it. That's one of their jobs right?
Ironically, a lot of people picking up reaper are supports/backliners who genuinely can't stand being leapt on by a Winston with no one helping. The wheel keeps on turning.
How does a squishy deal with a winston that dives them?
07/15/2017 07:37 AMPosted by Andriot
Ironically, a lot of people picking up reaper are supports/backliners who genuinely can't stand being leapt on by a Winston with no one helping. The wheel keeps on turning.

As a support player, how do i deal with Winston/Dva diving me?

I know Winston/DVA are squishy counters but it's so good that most games i just switch off support because....
So the best way to deal with Reaper as a Tank player is just stop playing Tank? Seems to be only solution so far I have or that has been posted.
What I noticed last game is that reaper was dealt with really quickly, once I switched off tank to Soldier. Of course that meant we had too much DPS, but all of a sudden we could push.
07/15/2017 07:37 AMPosted by LtLatency
How does a squishy deal with a winston that dives them?

Energized.
He has no mobility at all. Just don't walk near him.
With d.va and rein is not that bad, but for the other tankers he will be a pain. Nothing wrong here.
Stay with your team. Dive when he is dead or very weak.
From what I understand, a decent McCree will take care of him.

But I know your pain, dude. I know your pain...
Depends on the tank. A good Reaper will make you switch from Hog or Winston. The other tanks should be able to play around him. D.VA can melt him or fly away, Rein usually sticks with a couple teammates and can shield, Orissa uses her barrier, her gravity thingy and her raw DPS, Zarya bubbles and tracks him while backpedaling in her team (her model makes it harder for the Reaps to hit her with all the pellets.

Your main tank is Winston. A good Reaper will make you switch every time. Best you can do is keep your jump for escaping him and auto-targeting him when his health is low. Reaper is to Winston what Winston is to Genji : you can always play through them, but you're making this hard on yourself.

This coming from a Reaper main, who also plays Hog and Orissa. When there's a Reaper on the enemy team, Hog automatically dissapears nowadays. Before the nerf, I'd have the hook, but now... I just switch.
Bail out and regroup with a teammate that doesn't have a movement ability. namely Zenyatta, Mcree, Zarya, Torb, Bastion, etc,...

If you really want to counter him, you might have to solo ult him.
I've noticed, both as a Reaper player (when I'm allowed to play something other than tank/support), as a tank player, and watching enemy and team Reaper/tank fights. That it kind of depends which tank you are playing. This is for console, so might be a little bit different on PC.

Reaper is most effective against Winston (console at least, despite shield and jump) and Roadhog. This makes sense with their bigger hit boxes, the ability to walk past Winston's shield, and Roadhog's utter lack of movement abilities. Orisa is probably next, since you can also walk past her shield and also lack of movement abilities, but fortify helps a bit.

Reinhardt, D.Va, and Zarya can have an easier time against Reaper. Reinhardt's shield is directly in front of him and connected to him, so the Reaper has to get right in your face, or next to you, or behind you. That's usually well within swinging or Charge distance, as well as within your teammate's distance if they're a good team. D.Va has defense matrix that typically can last longer than Reaper's ammo limit if you know how to use it / the Reaper keeps firing or doesn't wait out the defense matrix. Then there's flying away from him and, technically, a second albeit squishy life if you get knocked out of mech. Finally, Zarya's bubble shields. They're directly connected to her and will absorb some of the damage while at the same time increasing her damage output. So if you time her personal bubble and the teammate bubbles right, you can sometimes outdamage the Reaper and kill him first. Her primary/laser fire also reaches longer than you think.
07/15/2017 07:42 AMPosted by LazyTitan
So the best way to deal with Reaper as a Tank player is just stop playing Tank? Seems to be only solution so far I have or that has been posted.
Gosh golly gee you have to switch when you're being countered?

w Ha t a nOVe L coNcE pT
Step 1: Accept your death
Have you tried having a pharah on your team ( he can only tickle her) or a dps you can flank with? Winston isn't supposed to win 1v1 against a reaper and 2v1 is easy if you are more than 11m away ( even 6-10 is good, but he will take time to whittle down). He has no range which is a big weakness.