OW update/balancing cycle is excruciatingly slow: Part 2

General Discussion
1 2 3 61 Next
Highly Rated
Like i had said in that thread, do not let it die. This needs to be addressed.
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20757666153?page=1

And if you think this is just the "ungrateful fanboys" complaining, read this thread as well, showing Lunatic Hai's coach saying the exact same thing and mentioning all the problems Blizzard has.
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20757476339?page=1

EDIT: Now even DSPstanky is moving away from Overwatch.
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20758315938

Another team drops from Overwatch.
https://dotesports.com/overwatch/overwatch-hammers-esports-released-16293

A long post of some of Overwatch's problems.
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20758526871
Highly Rated
They won't do anything until they see an impact in sales, or OWL itself fails.
Highly Rated
07/07/2017 09:33 AMPosted by Cerebrum123

Their entire Esports side is failing massively.

Teams are leaving constantly, supporters are leaving, sponsors don't want anything to do with it, especially in Korea and STILL they do nothing. It's almost like they can't even see that something is going severely wrong.
07/07/2017 09:33 AMPosted by Cerebrum123

Their entire Esports side is failing massively.

Teams are leaving constantly, supporters are leaving, sponsors don't want anything to do with it, especially in Korea and STILL they do nothing. It's almost like they can't even see that something is going severely wrong.

The reason for the underlined is pride. They've had such success with lootboxes, and game sales so far that they are unwilling to consider the possibility that they might be doing things wrong for other facets like e-sports.
Highly Rated
If they would use the PTR to it's full potential, trying radical things and trying meta-changing number switches, this wouldn't be as much of a problem.
07/07/2017 09:41 AMPosted by TGamer
If they would use the PTR to it's full potential, trying radical things and trying meta-changing number switches, this wouldn't be as much of a problem.

That's another thing. They said they would do that.

They said they would use the PTR more and they would put more radical changes a lot quicker because they wanted the feedback on their ideas before confirming them, but they never did anything like that, they did the opposite.
TL:DR - The dev's balance philosophy of slow balancing cycles with more thought-out balance changes isn't paying off when most of their changes are either insignificant or just as bad as kneejerk changes made on the fly, and it's hurting the game.

Their unwillingness to use PTR to ACTUALLY TRY RADICAL CHANGES speaks volumes of how seemingly lost they are regarding their own game, while making the PTR pretty much useless

I think the biggest failing by far of the devs/balancing team is just how laughably slow it is on its game balancing updates.

We are not talking "player perception" here, where a particular class was perceived as OP/UP during the early days (Bastion was OP at release, then trash without a single nerf) or slaves of the Meta (Reinhardt was kinda OP during the 3Tank meta). We are talking about real balancing issues that took several months to even get partially addressed, such as:

Soldier 76 being overtuned (and percieved as such) for several months after his buff util he ultimately got a nerf,

Reaper being underpowered since the Nanoboost nerf several months ago, and only addressed just now,

Roadhog's divisive hook combo, which took 1 year to address,

PharaMercy (and to some extend, Pharah herself) has been a thorn in the side of many for months now, but nothing has been done nor said to address this,

Junkrat has been getting small incremental patches but nothing substantial, and thus is considered by many the worse of the worse,

etc.

The Devs seem to want slower, more thought out balance patches rather than regular patches that could shake the game too hard too fast, but the end result of their balance philosophy doesn't have much results to show for really, as their balancing method has produced A LOT of blunders and misguided changes, such as:

Ana's healing and heal-block where a problem, but Bliz nerfed her damage instead, completely missing the point of the problem and hurting Ana where it wasn't needed nor warranted. Now people are asking for a damage revert to her rifle

Bastion's rework, while it made Recon mode a lot more useful, it made the Sentry and Tank far too weak (after the Ironclad hotfix) to the point where his ult is actually a lot worse than before. Thus the rework pretty much accomplished nothing and Bastion is still F tier.

Roadhog's nerf finally addressed his 1HK combo but failed to provide him with the necessary tools to ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING USEFUL now considering he was designed around a 1HK combo (a horrible design choice in its own right). Now he's F tier and with no balance change or Dev update in sight.

They have a PTR, designed specifically to try WHATEVER THEY WANT and they don't use it. WTH Blizzard?

YOU HAVE THE PTR, USE IT. Try stuff, break the game, make radical changes, try new abilities, do SOMETHING WITH IT.

/rant

OP's post wont let this get buried or ignored I know Blizzard's tactics, nuff said.
trying meta-changing number switches

They shouldn't switch to another meta, they should simply make all heroes viable so that not only one comp prevails.
It bugs me that every season a new "this is the way to go" comes up. It sucks the fun out of a game that is supposed to be about switching, yet I rarely see pro's switch in tournaments at all.
Not even in comp.
They failed their whole design by making certain heroes stronger than others.
If you have a meta, you don't encourage switching.
07/07/2017 09:45 AMPosted by ZanJoz
Roadhog's nerf finally addressed his 1HK combo but failed to provide him with the necessary tools to ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING USEFUL

This.
Instead of balancing heroes out, by nerfing damage and adding other utility, they simply nerf them completely without anything to balance that loss out.
Everyone agrees that Hog's combo was too low of a risk for the reward, but now the dude has nothing.
Same goes for Ana, without her damage she can't do !@#$ about Pharmercy anymore, she was one of the better counters to that duo.
They simply nerfed her without adding anything to her to balance it out, maybe lower CD on sleep dart or making it a faster projectile so she can still deal with that flying bugger.
And her damage was the one thing that didn't even need a nerf. What needed a nerf was her burst heal to stop triple tank, nobody cared about those measily 80 damage she did.
Now her damage is even more ridiculous, there is no reason why I would pick Ana over Mercy, the only time I play her now is sometimes in Quickmatches.
Funny that they are investing so much money (adverts) on overwatch league. Only to lose the popularity of the game through their slow and lazy (not the best word ) approach.
Love the game but there are broken things that should be hot fixed now. They either need to fix or communicate as to why they can't or don't want to fix the issues now, kind of insulting when there's bugs and no fixes in sight and also complete silence regarding them.
07/07/2017 09:44 AMPosted by Ephemiel

They said they would use the PTR more and they would put more radical changes a lot quicker because they wanted the feedback on their ideas before confirming them, but they never did anything like that, they did the opposite.

And thats the problem. PTR is more of like a preview of whats to come instead of, "here are some changes we plan on making, tell us what you the players, think, and maybe we can adjust some changes based on that."

Like no matter what feedback was given, it still goes live. *looks at Bastion's ironclad, Dva's nerf and Roadhog's nerf, there are others but these are the most prominant ones.
I won't stop playing Overwatch for the time being, but I reduced my playtime drastically over this stale dive meta (and a lot of my friends did the same, one even stopped playing all together, 30 days and going strong). I seem to have a bad hand when I pick heroes I like. I started out as a Roadhog main and I can't see myself playing him anymore. Now I main Reinhardt and competitive is not very promising in this meta. And he is buggy and nobody at Blizzard is doing something about this.

The worst thing about Overwatch is that Blizzard constantly creates situations in which a lot of ordinary players (not pros, GMs, etc.) cannot play the heroes they like and succeed at the same time. I'm a good Reinhardt, but Reinhardt is not needed in this game. I remember when people asked "can we get a rein?" instead of "rein go winston".
I have zero evidence to back up my theory but I get the feeling that atleast half the OW team that you know, made the game moved on to another project after the initial release of the game and that's why things are pretty slow.
I've been having so much less fun due to the lack of bug fixes, tweaks, and QOL changes.

Just the same game of "this pebble blocked your flashbang" or hit registration telling me i suck, of which i probably do.
The community needs to stop going crazy with excitement over every little event or change(like the loot box drop rates change)Come together and dont buy loot boxes,demand balance and permanent content above all else,seriously 3 heroes in over a year and only 1 was strong on release and all 3 are weak atm and just 3 maps added while this game makes billions
If they can't release heroes more frequently due to resource constraints (really though?), then they need to at least release balance patches more frequently with MINOR changes to heroes.
They should also incorporate hotfixes more frequently, like with Ana, Sombra and Bastion.

Why have custom crosshairs not gone live yet?
07/07/2017 09:57 AMPosted by AlCapwned
I have zero evidence to back up my theory but I get the feeling that atleast half the OW team that you know, made the game moved on to another project after the initial release of the game and that's why things are pretty slow.

There is one little bit of evidence i feel. Back during the first few weeks or maybe 1 or 2 months, balance changes were a lot quicker, with both Soldier and McCree getting their nerfs/buffs relatively quickly and some other bugs and issues getting resolved pretty quickly.
07/07/2017 09:44 AMPosted by Ephemiel

Yup, I posted this before, and it's a general sequence of events.

07/05/2017 05:53 AMPosted by Cerebrum123
I wrote this for another thread on this topic.

07/04/2017 07:16 AMPosted by Cerebrum123
They said they were going to use the PTR for "wild and frequent changes, most probably won't last long". Then they made no changes at all, and ignored all feedback. That was their first lie.
The second was that "everyone liked the changes", when the changes were 1: Soldier 76 damage buff, 2: Pharah jetpack buff, and 3: D.Va extra 100 hp, and faster movement while firing. Most people were against D.Va's 100 extra HP, and Soldier's damage buff. So it's not true that all of it was liked by "everyone".
Then they went on to delete the stickied thread from their archives about the PTR, and said in a video that the PTR was "primarily for bug testing". Three strikes, your out.