Doomfist/Orisa Timeline

General Discussion
This might have already been explained so I apologize in advance if it has. When we saw the original cinematic for OW (Talon trying to steal the Doomfist), the character Doomfist was not planned to be a character.
Flash forward, everyone is wanting the Doomfist character and the OW team start to develop him. Does this mean Orisa was not planned to be the Numbani protector and her story was changed to fit the lore of Doomfist?
Character lore is in most cases developed after the character (for example, Ana started as a generic heal-sniper called "The Alchemist" and the Ana Amari connection was made later) so, yes, she might have originally been intended to have different origins.

Also Doomfist was always in their minds to be a character but just not a priority
When we were working on the announcement cinematic for Overwatch we did a little bit of development on Doomfist (concepting his fist and Arnold Tsang, our assistant art director, even did a quick concept of what the character might look like).

It quickly became apparent that people were really interested in Doomfist and really wanted to see him as a hero in the game. We agreed! Arnold did another version of the concept (pretty much the one that we ultimately built) near the end of development when we were finalizing the roster of heroes for the game at release. Doomfist, unfortunately, did not make the cut, but by then we were committed to making him.

Before that, we decided that we wanted to add another tank hero to the game. Because we like having heroes whose stories are related to other heroes in the game, we came up with the idea for Orisa as someone who would relate to the story of Doomfist. So her story wasn't changed so much, as always intended to be related to Doomfist's.

This is just a quick version of the story of Doomfist's development (which we talked about in detail at San Diego Comic-Con last week), but I hope it helps shed some light on your question!
The inconsistent part is that Orisa is a pretty poor defense against Doomfist.

Is Ifi a bad inventor?
:o
07/28/2017 09:46 AMPosted by Michael Chu
When we were working on the announcement cinematic for Overwatch we did a little bit of development on Doomfist (concepting his fist and Arnold Tsang, our assistant art director, even did a quick concept of what the character might look like).

It quickly became apparent that people were really interested in Doomfist and really wanted to see him as a hero in the game. We agreed! Arnold did another version of the concept (pretty much the one that we ultimately built) near the end of development when we were finalizing the roster of heroes for the game at release. Doomfist, unfortunately, did not make the cut, but by then we were committed to making him.

Before that, we decided that we wanted to add another tank hero to the game. Because we like having heroes whose stories are related to other heroes in the game, we came up with the idea for Orisa as someone who would relate to the story of Doomfist. So her story wasn't changed so much, as always intended to be related to Doomfist's.

This is just a quick version of the story of Doomfist's development (which we talked about in detail at San Diego Comic-Con last week), but I hope it helps shed some light on your question!

use this post to like michaels post
07/28/2017 09:53 AMPosted by GreyFalcon
The inconsistent part is that Orisa is a pretty poor defense against Doomfist.

Is Ifi a bad inventor?

Story doesn't need to, and won't fit gameplay 100% of the time. I recall Jeff saying something about that in a dev update video, can't recall wich one though.
theoretically, Orisa fights doomfist decently well in terms of abilities. (actual play differs of course). Halt deters Doomfist's movement abilities, Fortify protects against doomfist's punch and shield is just good sense for a protector bot :P

I doubt I'll get an answer but is there a healer class in the pipeline? We support players desparately need more healers @_@
07/28/2017 09:46 AMPosted by Michael Chu

Very awesome! I didn't realize the Orisa and Doomfist were concepts that far out.