Is it possible for the game systems to recognize

General Discussion
whether someone leaves a match by actually 'clicking' the leave button or if their system/game/internet crashes?

I don't know much about programming but I figure this must be possible? Maybe it's extremely complicated?

If so, would this not be something worth implementing so that the system can determine if someone actually 'chose' to leave a game and punish them accordingly. Whereas if someone DC's or the game crashes, they wouldn't be penalized as badly?

*** I want to be clear, that I still expect any 'leaver' in a comp game to be punished even if it is of no fault to the player - at the end of the day, the team suffers regardless but maybe those players don't deserve to lose quite as much SR for things out of their control***
I like how blizzard kicks you from their server (their fault) and then punish you.
07/25/2017 01:14 PMPosted by MSM
I like how blizzard kicks you from their server (their fault) and then punish you.

But it really only does that when you are about to jump to the next tier.
Yes, but then it brings in the question of will people be so petty to force disconnects by doing the equivalent of doxing their own IP address. And yes, people will do that.
I got a dc from server while la
Streaming in background. Stream never went down but game did. Obviously not my net... but i took it and moved on. Why? Cuz blizz would never do anything about it.
Yes, it is possible, but there's a big flaw:
If someone wants to leave, but doesn't want a big penalty, they can turn off their internet connection, and the game would think they just disconnected, and would get a smaller penalty.

If this was implemented, you could easily get around it.
07/25/2017 12:12 PMPosted by DHope
whether someone leaves a match by actually 'clicking' the leave button or if their system/game/internet crashes?

I would say yes, it is entirely reasonable to determine if the player left by clicking the leave button. But that doesn't really address the problem. If players found out that they receive less of a penalty if they simulate a disconnect, they would just do that instead. Here lies the real problem: there is no way to tell if the disconnect was intentional or not.
The sort of people who would intentionally leave are also the sort of people who would pull the plug on their internet to get out of being penalized for it, so identifying the difference isn't really useful when it comes to punishing leavers.
It's pretty easy to tell if they press the button or lose internet, but there's no way to tell the difference between someone unplugging their router or whatever or having an actual internet failure. So it's still not really possible.
Jeff has stated that they can tell when someone uses the "Leave Game" option, but that's the only thing they can tell. All other forms of disconnect look the same on Blizzard's end, and it's why they cannot relax the leaver penalty.
people will do anything to protect their SR. so they'll exploit the !@#$ out of any loophole they find. even if it means 3 years in prison.
Click a button? Yep definitely. Kill a process, disable their network or pull a power cable? No way.
PS1 Games could tell the difference, Blizzard just does not want to put in the effort to code it. And yes Blizzard servers do kick people at times, it is not always a person's Internet (Not when you have high speed internet and don't get kicked from any other game)

I don't know much about programming but I figure this must be possible? Maybe it's extremely complicated?

If so, would this not be something worth implementing so that the system can determine if someone actually 'chose' to leave a game and punish them accordingly. Whereas if someone DC's or the game crashes, they wouldn't be penalized as badly?

*** I want to be clear, that I still expect any 'leaver' in a comp game to be punished even if it is of no fault to the player - at the end of the day, the team suffers regardless but maybe those players don't deserve to lose quite as much SR for things out of their control***

We definitely know if a player clicks the "Leave Game" button.

We have no way to discern if an ISP drops a connection versus someone pulling their network cable from the wall.
Highly Rated
07/25/2017 02:38 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
We have no way to discern if an ISP drops a connection versus someone pulling their network cable from the wall.

I was going to comment this but the man told you himself.
Ok thanks folks...

the consensus I'm getting is that YES this is possible or even already determinable by Blizzards systems...But the real issue it will not solve, since leavers will still just disconnect their internet and then leave the game that way for less penalty?

This makes sense but I have to ask... are they really that adamant about leaving the game to go through all the work/time just to ultimately lose SR and still take about as long to get into another game as it would have to just finish the one they're in?

Leaving a game seems so counterproductive to me, I just don;t see what anybody get's out of it
07/25/2017 02:38 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan

We definitely know if a player clicks the "Leave Game" button.

What about a linkdeath type of idea? Have the person's account still remained logged in for a few minutes longer (its not like people replace the leaver so having a character model standing around changes nothing) that way the people affected by ISP issues have more of a chance to return while still keeping the same harsh punishments for those who purposely leave. This would help ease the amount of innocent users being punished while still having the same impact on who its supposed to hurt.
I was in a game a few days ago on Ilios round 1, where someone was frustrated and pulled their Internet connection, but then came back, pulled it again, and came back again so they ended up taking the regular loss rather than the large SR loss from leaving, while still acting as a leaver.

I think a solution to the leaver issue is to temporarily fill the person's slot with a bot who is the same hero that person had selected until they rejoin. If they never rejoin, they get the penalty SR loss. But, at least by having a bot temporarily fill, it doesn't hurt the team as much.
Things they can detect easily:
1. Player leaves game.
2. Server crashes.
3. User uses alt-F4.
4. Ending the task in the task manager.

Things they cannot detect easily:
1. Client crashes.*
2. Internet dies.
3. User forcibly kills internet (pulling the plug or using ipconfig).
4. Ending the process in the task manager.

In theory, it's possible to figure out crashes because most online games have a crash reporting feature. It's not a reliable way to diagnose leavers though because it's possible to force a game to crash fairly easily.
07/25/2017 02:44 PMPosted by DHope

Leaving a game seems so counterproductive to me, I just don;t see what anybody get's out of it

They think they are "punishing" fellow players for "bad" hero picks or bad attitudes toward them...and for the most part, they are. This is why leavers are so frustrating. [That being said, I HAD to leave a game voluntarily at one point because of an emergency].

And I know I'm making two posts in a row, but another thing that could occur, is that if a leaver from a connection drop rejoins, that all comms and chat channels are silenced for the rest of the game. This prevents them from further harassing teammates since they can no longer do so via any comm channel and might incentivize them to start playing the game again.