100% fix for Toxic Overwatch. Call me a liar.

General Discussion
07/21/2017 08:59 PMPosted by LilPuddin
Nothing stops your 5 friends or you from being toxic to other players, though.

Toxicity encompasses all that is wrong and unfun with the game. That includes cross-team insulting/rudeness/sexual harassment/etc.

Toxicity will always exist because, quite frankly, humans are all capable of being awful with the right (or should I say "wrong") mood in place.

Cultivate with patience.
itt
"this works guaranteed"
"no, and here's why it doesn't"
"you're just a narcissist"

op please, are you gonna make a valid point or are you just gonna keep namecalling
Liar
I mean, you're technically not wrong, but it doesn't come without drawbacks, including MUCH longer queue times and top rank becoming basically pro team exclusive, among other things.

Also, I really doubt saying "If you want to have a good time, play with 5 other people that you already know and are readily available at any time, if not then it sucks to suck," fixes much of anything.
07/21/2017 04:24 PMPosted by Sinstar
I won't waste your time. This is how it is done. Make 5 friends, and don't be a jerk. The only other option is to connect with random people. If you pair up with random people, and then complain, you now may be suffering from Cognitive Bias. The Toxic problem is actually in a way a medical problem. The community gave gamer the toxic stigma way before Overwatch. The real name for toxic player is Narcissist.We can see videos all day about team comp, and toxic players, or the science even of Overwatch, and pick it apart in every beautiful way. However what I REALLY think the community needs is that all those great people who make video games seriously pump out pro tips on narcissistic gaming. Be professional, and let us call it just that. Instead of saying he's gone toxic, say he's gone narc. I could really get into this topic, but I think I have said enough to perhaps provoke further consideration. I think if the gaming community learns more about Narcissistic gamer, and how to spot them, and at the same time learn how 2 cultivate just 5.... only 5 out of 35 million active players to get along with, and make a team. People need to look within them serfs who have difficulty with making friends, keeping integrity, take responsibility. Anything else is cognative bias.

Oh look, another college kid turned overnight psychologist.
Words are words and calling someone narc or toxic doesn't change the fact that it's negative behaviour.
I'd give you a D- on this one.
07/21/2017 09:41 PMPosted by GrizzBear
I mean, you're technically not wrong, but it doesn't come without drawbacks, including MUCH longer queue times and top rank becoming basically pro team exclusive, among other things.

Also, I really doubt saying "If you want to have a good time, play with 5 other people that you already know and are readily available at any time, if not then it sucks to suck," fixes much of anything.

Technically not wrong is another way if saying it is right, and if you dislike something that is true than perhaps we don't need a patch or upgrade maybe the issue is ones self, and cognitive bias? Something to consider, and I could be totally wrong in this. Never mind the fact you totally misquoted me... I never said anything about people sucking.
07/21/2017 05:17 PMPosted by Sinstar
Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

It is one of the few, and rare conditions where the patient is left alone, and everyone else is treated :)

Talking from the perspective of a psychologist, this is wrong, and you seem to show some traits of narcissism.
07/21/2017 10:35 PMPosted by NightRaven
07/21/2017 05:17 PMPosted by Sinstar
Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

It is one of the few, and rare conditions where the patient is left alone, and everyone else is treated :)

Talking from the perspective of a psychologist, this is wrong, and you seem to show some traits of narcissism.

Your reply is vague, and inconsiderate. If you feel some way, or wish to express an opinion please elaborate. I doubt someone who is a physiologist would be so vain, as to give such a shallow, and perhaps such an irresponsible reply, and in a manner of just trying to beta shame someone, or gaslight them is more of a sign of Narcissism When I say your reply was shallow, it is not meaning to insult but it is the opposite of deep, or considerate thought.
07/21/2017 10:12 PMPosted by Sinstar
07/21/2017 09:41 PMPosted by GrizzBear

Technically not wrong is another way if saying it is right, and if you dislike something that is true than perhaps we don't need a patch or upgrade maybe the issue is ones self, and cognitive bias? Something to consider, and I could be totally wrong in this. Never mind the fact you totally misquoted me... I never said anything about people sucking.

You're creating an either or fallacy, and if you don't like something that is true perhaps we don't need a patch or upgrade maybe the issue is ones self, and cognitive bias? Something to consider, and I could be totally wrong in this.

Also I didn't misquote anything. You take things much too literally. That, my small minded troll friend, is what's called a paraphrase. Let me reword it so you might understand it:

"If you don't have people to play with at all times of the day, screw you, you can't have fun."
Quality of Life is subjective. If you need friends to deal with toxicity, your parents raised you thin-skinned.
I believe Jeff mentioned something in this regard in why Korea does so well in a team, and Americans could benefit on why that might be. They are able to put aside personal differences, and not so concerned with how good they look. I totally admit I am not qualified in the least bit to explain this to anyone, and I myself am trying to broaden my personal understanding of the coalition between Toxicity, and the Narcissistic player.I am sharing perspectives, yet hoping to contribute something I think would be more helpful. Yet it has been met with nothing but negative criticism, not positive. Nothing to offer but what is wrong without even really clarifying of it in my opinion giving it any real thought. I had some serious hateful imply that my quick fix is the same mind set as a sexual predator... Even misquoted, slandered, and was even told I was right, and that was what was wrong with me. Again this topic is about taking personal responsibilities, understanding the difference of what within reason is within your control, rather than fixing human beings with a better patch or update. That alone can only go so far. Diversity does not work that way, and it never will. In that we should learn to respect differences better, cultivating, and sharing the best parts, rather than focusing on the problem rather than working on the solution. That in my opinion is the supreme virtue of human beings. If the understanding is corrupt, than by cause, and effect what is build upon it will also be corrupt. I find that so many people complain, and want others to fix it for them. I personally at least can say I have done some research, listened to those who are qualified, and considered what was said, and shared it here in hopes of contributing some personal experience, and perhaps insight. As I reflect on this thread in it's entirety I feel like there has been a complete lack of respect in consideration of this, as well of the equal lack of contribution even if one had disagreed.
I rarely login to post anything, but I saw this thread and read through it and i have to say damn, the OP is a real stubborn dude. To see him taken seriously up till the last page was amazing. Sinstar, I totally get the logic you are applying to Ranked play but seriously dude, what you are proposing is a band-aid solution, the others are also right too, we need a stricter moderating force in the game. I love Overwatch to death, and seeing a thread about fixing toxicity that has caused this much friction damn near breaks my heart.
07/22/2017 12:04 AMPosted by gzarzozela
I rarely login to post anything, but I saw this thread and read through it and i have to say damn, the OP is a real stubborn dude. To see him taken seriously up till the last page was amazing. Sinstar, I totally get the logic you are applying to Ranked play but seriously dude, what you are proposing is a band-aid solution, the others are also right too, we need a stricter moderating force in the game. I love Overwatch to death, and seeing a thread about fixing toxicity that has caused this much friction damn near breaks my heart.

So is your comment, a vain one, or are you going to actually contribute? I don't need pity. I don't need anything. Nothing has died, and my thread does not need a poetic eulogy. I never said anyone was completely wrong, and I agree,some further insight in all regards including better moderation in game, but also increasing our understanding of what the toxic player is.
All my friends stopped playing because of all the terrible balance decisions that don't actually manage to even freshen up the game, and instead seem to promote even more staleness somehow. Literally not even one of my friends to duo with anymore.

/all alone :c

Besides, even if I did, whenever I'm in a group of 6 (granted, I hardly do, due to these mentioned reasons), the games... go... badly... I'm talkin' the stompiest stomp games you've ever stomped / gotten stomped by. It's never even remotely close or even. The matchmaker does NOT seem to know how to handle 6v6. Which is pretty ironic. And that's not even counting when it super-stacks the odds against you if the enemies aren't as "grouped" as your 6-squad. Ah, they're not grouped, so they totally deserve ~300 average more SR than you on their team, right?
If I could have convinced anyone of anything it would have worked by now, just as it would for everyone who had commented. Again this is a good example of going into something expecting a team effort only to be confronted by toxic people who complain about having a better patch or update to fix who they are. That to me seems hypocritical, rather that being positive, and critical.
07/21/2017 11:17 PMPosted by Sinstar
I believe Jeff mentioned something in this regard in why Korea does so well in a team, and Americans could benefit on why that might be. They are able to put aside personal differences, and not so concerned with how good they look. I totally admit I am not qualified in the least bit to explain this to anyone, and I myself am trying to broaden my personal understanding of the coalition between Toxicity, and the Narcissistic player.I am sharing perspectives, yet hoping to contribute something I think would be more helpful. Yet it has been met with nothing but negative criticism, not positive. Nothing to offer but what is wrong without even really clarifying of it in my opinion giving it any real thought. I had some serious hateful imply that my quick fix is the same mind set as a sexual predator... Even misquoted, slandered, and was even told I was right, and that was what was wrong with me. Again this topic is about taking personal responsibilities, understanding the difference of what within reason is within your control, rather than fixing human beings with a better patch or update. That alone can only go so far. Diversity does not work that way, and it never will. In that we should learn to respect differences better, cultivating, and sharing the best parts, rather than focusing on the problem rather than working on the solution. That in my opinion is the supreme virtue of human beings. If the understanding is corrupt, than by cause, and effect what is build upon it will also be corrupt. I find that so many people complain, and want others to fix it for them. I personally at least can say I have done some research, listened to those who are qualified, and considered what was said, and shared it here in hopes of contributing some personal experience, and perhaps insight. As I reflect on this thread in it's entirety I feel like there has been a complete lack of respect in consideration of this, as well of the equal lack of contribution even if one had disagreed.

Dude, you've responded to every single comment on this thread with complete narcissism, refusal to acknowledge disagreement in the slightest, sarcasm, cynicism, and an overall complete disregard for any opinion but your own, and now you want to play victim? You seriously didn't think that challenging people to "call [you] a liar" in the title, or responding to people the way you have been wouldn't be met with negative feedback?
07/21/2017 04:50 PMPosted by Sinstar
Wow I guess people have a hard time accepting the idea to improve your quality of life, and it's experiences by taking personal responsibility, and educating yourself?

07/21/2017 08:01 PMPosted by Sinstar
07/21/2017 07:54 PMPosted by BraveHearted
I can't tell if he is still trying to defend his solution or just talking to talk at this point.

Sounds personal... Have you tried asking?

07/21/2017 08:58 PMPosted by Sinstar
07/21/2017 08:55 PMPosted by Tuckletuts
...I can make things up too, the difference is Huffpost pays people to do it.

So what your saying is that it is fake news? C'mon please say it lol.

07/21/2017 10:46 PMPosted by Sinstar
07/21/2017 10:35 PMPosted by NightRaven

Your reply is vague, and inconsiderate. If you feel some way, or wish to express an opinion please elaborate. I doubt someone who is a physiologist would be so vain, as to give such a shallow, and perhaps such an irresponsible reply, and in a manner of just trying to beta shame someone, or gaslight them is more of a sign of Narcissism When I say your reply was shallow, it is not meaning to insult but it is the opposite of deep, or considerate thought.

Stuff like this. Just constantly baiting people into an aggressive response. If you really want positive feedback, stop doing stuff like this, respond normally, not like you're picking a fight. And before you pull this out:
07/21/2017 05:56 PMPosted by Sinstar
I am not triggered btw, please don't assume my emotional state from words alone.

This is a forum post. All we have are your words.

Yeah, it is within our control. Could it and should it be easier than having to play with 5 other people at all times to get enjoyment out of the game? Yes. Yes it should. We wouldn't have had any advancements with that mentality. Cars? We don't need them, we have legs, we can walk. How about the computer that you use to type this all out? Why not just write a letter and send it instead? It is within your parameters after all. Or how about a more historical perspective. Why get rid of literacy voters tests when all you need to do is pass? Why desegregate when both races have what they need? I shouldn't need to play in a premade just to have fun in a multiplayer game that allows solo queue. There is very little regulation of people like that right now, wanting a change in that isn't saying that there isn't a way to fix it ourselves, by avoiding it all together, but it IS saying that you shouldn't NEED to to that.
07/22/2017 12:12 AMPosted by PancakePunk
All my friends stopped playing because of all the terrible balance decisions that don't actually manage to even freshen up the game, and instead seem to promote even more staleness somehow. Literally not even one of my friends to duo with anymore.

/all alone :c

Besides, even if I did, whenever I'm in a group of 6 (granted, I hardly do, due to these mentioned reasons), the games... go... badly... I'm talkin' the stompiest stomp games you've ever stomped / gotten stomped by. It's never even remotely close or even. The matchmaker does NOT seem to know how to handle 6v6. Which is pretty ironic. And that's not even counting when it super-stacks the odds against you if the enemies aren't as "grouped" as your 6-squad. Ah, they're not grouped, so they totally deserve ~300 average more SR than you on their team, right?

First of all thank you so much for being considerate, and making in my opinion a positive contribution to the thread. I feel like in my experience on my main account I know what you are expressing about the stomp, and the SR issue. I agree about working towards looking into improving the SR, and Ranking system. What this thread is intended to focus upon is just our understanding of toxicity, and personal responsibility in that regard.
I will say again. If I could have convinced anyone of anything it would have worked by now, just as it would for everyone who had commented. Again this is a good example of going into something expecting a team effort only to be confronted by toxic people who complain about having a better patch or update to fix who they are. That to me seems hypocritical, rather that being positive, and critical.
If I am keeping a thread alive, it is because I am not so vain as to try at something just to look good, or give up. I never intended in trying to convenes anyone of anything. I am just putting forward some effort, along with time, and patience towards something I care about. Yet in all the complaints I really owe the credit to the response it has received in that by some illusion or fantasy I can be enlightened so easily without patience, experience, education, and so on, and verifying it in the same manner by its opposition. So again I ask if it where anything else to expect such a thing would we not suffer from cognitive bias?
This is what happens when you take first year psych class too seriously and try to project it on everything.