The Real-Word Equivalent of Smurfing

Competitive Discussion
Imagine if an All-Star MLB Player and went down to a T-Ball league filled with 5 year olds under a disguise. And he hit homerun after homerun and ran up the score on these kids because he thought it'd be fun.

If you are a defender of Smurf Accounts, I invite you to explain how the above story is fair :P.
I mean I don't get paid millions of dollars for playing in GM nor do I have a career based around Overwatch.
But what if he wants to group up with this t-ball friend???

And then they play with their own signals so no one else on the team can communicate?

All good in blizzard land.
I'm not trying to dignify videogaming, but OP has a point there.
You know, one ought to have this little self-respect as a gamer. Destroying people who play x2 worse than you isnt fun or something to be proud of.
Well ine could play some smurfin when he's bored, or to practice new heroes without destroying his main SR, or just to spend time with lower SR friends.... (did that myself).
But there are a lot of people who spend countless hours on alt accounts ruining lowers games when people 1000+ SR less strive to win and improve. Not to mention boosters that do the same for money. Dirty job.
I think the point of the post is being missed. I'm not trying to say video games are as serious as MLB or real life events. I was pointing out a similar circumstance in the real world to point out how silly and unfair the situation is here. I'm not doing this to say that it's super important, I'm doing this to say that it sucks.

So sorry that I don't like hopping into games of 2300 SR and having my head taken off over and over again by a Genji who's actually at double that SR. Because that sucks.
I have multiple accounts and I keep one in as low of diamond as I can manage because my irl friends are gold and plat. Can't play with them on my two masters accounts.

I play heroes that I'm worse at. I have the positioning and game sense of a master player but the experience with hanzo/widow/Mei/etc of a gold or plat, so I stay low diamond. But if anyone ever talks [removed] me, RIP them when I bring out my mains because I'm grouped with a gold or plat and in a game 1,000+ SR below where I'm usually at.

Forum Mod Edit: This post has been edited by a moderator due to language. https://us.battle.net/forums/en/code-of-conduct/
You are 100% off the reservation here, friend.

The real-world equivalent of smurfing would be a professional F1 driver (let's make them a world champion F1 driver, for funsies) also playing football in division 4 during their F1 downtime.

Their F1 driving skills are world class, but that doesn't mean that they're automatically too good at football to be in division 4.

Smurfing is not a problem.
07/26/2017 09:50 PMPosted by IPCRESS
You are 100% off the reservation here, friend.

The real-world equivalent of smurfing would be a professional F1 driver (let's make them a world champion F1 driver, for funsies) also playing football in division 4 during their F1 downtime.

Their F1 driving skills are world class, but that doesn't mean that they're automatically too good at football to be in division 4.

Smurfing is not a problem.

That is an extremely flawed analogy. Smurfs have extensive experience in Overwatch yet they play on lower levels for whatever various reasons. It's not like the world champion of Mario Kart (I don't think one exists but whatever) playing Overwatch in Bronze would be smurfing.

Their Mario Kart driving skills are world class, but that doesn't mean that they're automatically too good at Overwatch to be in Master.
07/26/2017 10:57 PMPosted by Silver

That is an extremely flawed analogy. Smurfs have extensive experience in Overwatch yet they play on lower levels for whatever various reasons. It's not like the world champion of Mario Kart (I don't think one exists but whatever) playing Overwatch in Bronze would be smurfing.

Their Mario Kart driving skills are world class, but that doesn't mean that they're automatically too good at Overwatch to be in Master.

Smurfing is creating a new account to play the heroes you don't know how to play.

Let's use the analogy another way: So you're a GM Mercy main (current favourite subject of the 2-minute hate). You decide you've had quite enough petulant children whinging about your hero pick, so you decide to learn another hero. You are not a monster, and do not want to disadvantage the GM teams you're on while you're on the learning curve with the new hero. You create a new account to play your 'new' character on, until your 'new' character skills are equal to your mercy skills, at which point you may play either character on your main account without hurting your team's chances of victory.

This is smurfing as understood by Blizzard, and is not and should not be seen as a problem. Your game knowledge is offset by your bad mechanics, and you will begin to climb as your mechanics improve.

What people seem to be complaining about is a GM soldier main buying a new account, de-levelling it to bronze and then picking soldier. I don't know what to describe this as, but I do know that it's much rarer than people seem to think.
07/26/2017 02:14 PMPosted by DBBaxter
Imagine if an All-Star MLB Player and went down to a T-Ball league filled with 5 year olds under a disguise. And he hit homerun after homerun and ran up the score on these kids because he thought it'd be fun.

If you are a defender of Smurf Accounts, I invite you to explain how the above story is fair :P.

Okay well first of all. its fun because smurfs play the game for fun. I like to do it at around 600 SR normally and I dont play this game as a job, so your analogy is already ruined by doing that. I like to sometimes play widow only and see how far ill get or throttle my internet speed to play at like 300 ping. IDK unique ways to play and not to mention if those in bronze complain they are stuck their. they dont belong anywhere else.
07/26/2017 06:54 PMPosted by DBBaxter
I think the point of the post is being missed. I'm not trying to say video games are as serious as MLB or real life events. I was pointing out a similar circumstance in the real world to point out how silly and unfair the situation is here. I'm not doing this to say that it's super important, I'm doing this to say that it sucks.

So sorry that I don't like hopping into games of 2300 SR and having my head taken off over and over again by a Genji who's actually at double that SR. Because that sucks.

The problem is its not fully similar.

Since it is a game and people play this for fun. However playing competitieve can give you a chance to earn money and be a professional.

There are basketball players who only play for fun and sometimes they play with less qualified friends. - however competitieve in this game should lay down the scenario for e-sports. Which makes it official sport. Which makes anyone who play the competitieve an e-sporter - even if they do bad or play for fun.

Smurfing can be a problem because of below reasons:
- carrying other people who don't belong where they carried to.
- ruining other peoples games and possibilities
- after the carried person plays alone he will ruin higher level peeps fun and possibillities

If Blizz really wants OW to be an e-sport they should act up as they treat competitieve as the base of their selection for pro players thus should have control over it.

If they dont why are they so surprised that there is not even a legit pro-scene for having normal watchable championships. -
Also if Master players just smurf to try other heroes I see no probs with that. Since they will play less good thus they will reach lower mmr and lower rank. Thus they technically play in different leve.

If someone is truely a master player he will get ranked to Master really quickly in the Smurf account too - trust me. I have a few friends who have smurfs and a lot of them thought they will get to like plat or something first but they get Master because of their MMR.

Therefore if you are a Master player and troll to be on like bronz or silver and after you try to get yourself out - that is actually a problem too.

Blizz should address all this. But they wont. Thats all folks.