The Real-Word Equivalent of Smurfing

Competitive Discussion
How do you differentiate between smurfs and alts for penalizing them? At a certain point, theoretically the smurfs should get to their true SR (unless they start throwing to derank, which should be a bannable offense).

Other than that, there is nothing wrong with having another account which you buff up to your true SR.
07/26/2017 02:14 PMPosted by DBBaxter
Imagine if an All-Star MLB Player and went down to a T-Ball league filled with 5 year olds under a disguise. And he hit homerun after homerun and ran up the score on these kids because he thought it'd be fun.

If you are a defender of Smurf Accounts, I invite you to explain how the above story is fair :P.

Damn dude, I didn't realise that the <1% of players that are GM seem to have a smurf in every game at lower ELOs, makes perfect sense.

Majority of GM/Top 500 smurfs will be sitting at either Diamond because of decay or High Masters/Low GM since they don't try as hard on smurfs.

Incredibly rarely will you have a GM, let alone given your example a Pro player have a smurf at your ELO, especially given your rank being right at the median meaning that it has the highest concentration of players diluting the chance to get a smurf even further.

But sure, smurfs in every game is the reason you can't climb out of x rank.
You have to think about what encourages smurfing to begin with, apart from trolls and wanting to gradually improve in other roles that you typically don't fill on your main account. Which is an unreliable and random SR system that compels players in higher SR ranges to preserve the rating on their main accounts when they're still interested in practicing, and only to avoid rolling the dice too frequently. If matches were generally more evenly matched/competitive, and the system were designed so that SR didn't fluctuate TOO much based on meaningless individual hero stats players would be more comfortable with grinding on their main accounts.

Some necessary changes to the SR system, and smurf accounts won't be nearly as common.

Also just wanted to add that this was a terrible analogy. What exactly would an MLB all-star be preserving in this situation other than some energy? The only incentive would be to maybe set an example and help them improve in some way.
Imagine if an All-Star MLB Player and went down to a T-Ball league filled with 5 year olds under a disguise. And he hit homerun after homerun and ran up the score on these kids because he thought it'd be fun.

If you are a defender of Smurf Accounts, I invite you to explain how the above story is fair :P.
its fun because your winning. Winning is everything winning is life
Right… So there seems to be a definition problem here;

A smurf is someone with a new account who has the intention to play against inexperienced players. They might purposefully throw games to keep themselves at a low SR.
This is a bad thing.

An Alt account is when someone gets a new account to try and learn heroes that they’re not familiar with. They will not throw games, but might still have a low SR because they’re not as good with these heroes.
This is not a bad thing.

Source: https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/17209/where-does-the-term-smurfing-come-from

Just thought I’d clear that up…

I'm not defending anyone who smurfs to stomp low levels but:

While this is true if you look at the first game of a "fresh" smurf, the account would soon be going up the ranks quickly meaning that your All-Star MLB Player would get forced to play in better teams with every game since there are placements in Overwatch. In the real-world this wouldn't be the case unless he would be allowed to switch to better teams for every match.

If he wants to lose intentionally there is a chance that he will get kicked from his team and needs to play in lower leagues just like in Overwatch, with the difference that you can't kick people from your team there.

Anyways, intentionally losing every now and then is the only way to stay at a low level and that is not right.
Smurfing is like a horse in a barn filled with cows. And when the cat enters, the farmer knows his tractor is broken.

How is that fair???

It's fair because they allowed him to play in the kiddie league in the first place.

Sadly most people will look at ANY reason to blame anything but themselves for their own inability at a given task. It happens everywhere - not just in games. This is just another example of it.

Stop blaming others and look at yourself honestly. You might be surprised at what you find.

Smurfing is creating a new account to play the heroes you don't know how to play.

No. No it's not. Maybe a few people do this, but I don't run into smurfs who are just "trying new characters" I run into smurfs who are GM level Genji's and Hanzo's wallowing in their easy targets and talking massive [removed] in chat because it's fun for them to make other people tilted.

The thing about Smurfs is it's glaringly obvious they're a smurf. If it wasn't, nobody would accuse them of it. There is no way to explain around the fact that Smurfs are far better than the skill level they are playing at, and that's not fair.

The only understanding I can identify with for creating a Smurf account is playing with their friends. That's a valid reason to have a Smurf account, but even in that scenario, there's no justification for it being fair to the enemy team.

Forum Mod Edit: This post has been edited by a moderator due to language. https://us.battle.net/forums/en/code-of-conduct/
07/28/2017 01:58 AMPosted by Musicxmp3

I'm not defending anyone who smurfs to stomp low levels but:

While this is true if you look at the first game of a "fresh" smurf, the account would soon be going up the ranks quickly meaning that your All-Star MLB Player would get forced to play in better teams with every game since there are placements in Overwatch. In the real-world this wouldn't be the case unless he would be allowed to switch to better teams for every match.

If he wants to lose intentionally there is a chance that he will get kicked from his team and needs to play in lower leagues just like in Overwatch, with the difference that you can't kick people from your team there.

Anyways, intentionally losing every now and then is the only way to stay at a low level and that is not right.

Yes they will climb the ranks if they aren't intentionally losing the games to stay at the same ranks as their friends. Which is much more common than a Smurf who just wants to re-climb a ladder they already climbed on another account. There really is only 3 reasons to create a smurf account, and only one of them really can be argued as a valid reason.

1: You want to play with your friends. Which I feel is valid, though would still argue isn't fair to the enemy team.

2: You want to re-roll your rank. Which I can agree with if you actually place higher. Although I don't feel like the SR difference you would achieve is enough to justify actually doing this.

3: To kick the !@#$ out of the lower tiers. This is what I feel is 90% of Smurfs. They're top tier Genji's/Widows/Hanzos/Tracers who want to "practice" without dying a lot and screwing up their stats. These guys will have 70+ elims each match and absolutely tilt the enemy team because "Hey %^-*!@#, git gud." Like they aren't a fox in a hen-house.

No matter how you look at it, a Smurf is an $%^-*!@ to 6 other players. Even if you want to justify "free SR" for the team that you're on, there is no valid excuse for taking a top tier player and putting them into stomping grounds for the 6 other toddlers that can't do anything about it.

Just because it's technically legal, doesn't make you not-a-%!*@!#!% for doing it.
07/28/2017 01:50 AMPosted by Physics
An Alt account is when someone gets a new account to try and learn heroes that they’re not familiar with. They will not throw games, but might still have a low SR because they’re not as good with these heroes.
This is not a bad thing.

I don't entirely agree.

Here's a question: if Player A can flex to ANY character and maintain his/her rank at Grandmaster, do they deserve equal rating to someone who can only play ONE character at that level and no one else?

Personally, I'd argue no.
07/28/2017 01:50 AMPosted by Physics
Right… So there seems to be a definition problem here;

A smurf is someone with a new account who has the intention to play against inexperienced players. They might purposefully throw games to keep themselves at a low SR.
This is a bad thing.

This is not a bad thing.

Source: https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/17209/where-does-the-term-smurfing-come-from

Just thought I’d clear that up…

"Alt" accounts or whatever you want to call yourself still cause grief to other players whether it is intentional or not, same thing in my eyes and its selfish! Bending rules to suit your own greedy needs just shows your inner sociopath goes for all you smurfs pretending to be "Alt accounts"
If they came up with a way to keep SR for individual characters and queue accordingly I wouldn't have a 2nd account. I hit diamond with this account, barely, but I have a lot of friends in silver. I acquired a second account so that I could play with them and I pretty much play non stop off-meta heroes and practice with heroes I don't dare use on this account in comp.
If only there was a game mode where you could play Overwatch with your friends and practice other characters without the threat of losing or gain SR.

oh wait there is. Your pathetic excuse needs some work.

Seriously, so many people are smurfing it almost makes the rankings pointless because so many people you are playing against aren't even your rank. Might as well play quickplay yourself.