Hero concept - Support/Tank hybrid

General Discussion
Something akin to a riot/swat unit for it's theme.

HP: 200 health/100 armor/100 shield = 400 hp.

Weapon 1: Sub-machine gun.
LMB - 3 round burst. Fast projectiles, no spread. 25 damage per round. Mag size 15, 1 second reload.

Weapon 2: Baton and Riot shield.
LMB: 3 strike melee attack chain. Baton strike -> Baton strike -> Shield bash. Single target. 50 damage per strike. 0.5 sec stun on shield bash. Missing a strike resets the chain.
RMB: Raise shield. Functions the same as Reinhardt's shield but has no health limit and you remain in first person PoV. Slightly impairs the users vision except for a small window and does not protect your feet unless you crouch.

The shield will always protect any part of your body it's covering even when it isn't raised. So if you're using the gun, the shield will protect you while it's on your back.

Passive Ability: Allies within a 5 meter radius take 10% less damage

Ability 1: Send out an AED to an ally. Lasts for 3 seconds. If that ally was to take fatal damage during that 3 seconds, they will instead be healed for 250 hp. If after 3 seconds they do not take fatal damage, they will instead be healed for 75 hp. 6 second recharge that begins after the buff has ended. 20 meter range.

Ability 2: Activate a utility drone on an area (Like the ones in the Uprising event).
- You can use it on a dead ally to speed up their respawn time. They still come back inside the spawn room, just quicker.
- You can use it on objectives to help capture or contest. It will also boost the payloads healing value for allies.
- Or you can place it on a health pack to increase it's healing value for allies, this doesn't affect the health packs recharge time.

5 meter activation, 20 meter active range limit, returns to you beyond that. Doesn't require LoS to stay active.
You are immobile while activating the drone. It has 100 hp and can be destroyed by enemies.

Ultimate: Throw down tear gas to cover a 10 meter radius. Enemies inside the area take 50 damage per second. Lasts for 8 seconds. Allies inside the gas receive 30% damage reduction.
This is interesting

I like it.

is this person basically a cop?
Unfortunately I'm in a bit of a rush and can't give a proper review, but I wanted to comment so I could come back later. Concept seems cool, but needs work. Will expand later.
07/24/2017 07:46 PMPosted by FormalSpy
This is interesting

I like it.

is this person basically a cop?

Thanks. And yeah basically. I really liked the drone mechanic in the Uprising event. And there was a swat truck of some sort on that map. That's where the idea started from.
07/24/2017 07:55 PMPosted by NooneSpecial
Unfortunately I'm in a bit of a rush and can't give a proper review, but I wanted to comment so I could come back later. Concept seems cool, but needs work. Will expand later.

Oh I'm sure it does. The numbers probably aren't right. I loosely just based that on other heroes. Unfortunately there's is no way to test any of that, so it's hard to come up with those.

And functionally, it may sound good on paper but doesn't always translate into gameplay. But there's probably less than a 1% chance this would ever go anywhere anyway so I didn't stress over it too much.

Thanks for any input though. I've been brain storming a flame thrower hero idea also, so it's good to see what people do and don't like for hero designs.
I think suppressor is not needed at all. Because it adds nothing to the tanky hero. What the point of having silenced shots if the whole hero is not designed around being sneaky?
Just put Riot Shield on RMB and rework it for more tanky purpose.
the passive interacts very bad with EMP...

I like him being a cop, is other option for players coming straight from classic FPS.

What is supposed to be the ability 1? The effect is cool, but I cant imagine if is a morphine syringue or anything.
07/25/2017 08:58 AMPosted by Shnobz
I think suppressor is not needed at all. Because it adds nothing to the tanky hero. What the point of having silenced shots if the whole hero is not designed around being sneaky?
Just put Riot Shield on RMB and rework it for more tanky purpose.

Good point. But the idea behind it was not to be sneaky for offense purposes. More of a defensive purpose to help keep you hidden if you're firing from a side room or something similar. Essentially keeping you alive longer.

Being a hybrid support/tank the idea is that the hero wouldn't excel at either tanking or supporting, but having usefulness as the off support or tank. Freeing up a slot for a team member to play something else rather than taking a second tank and second support.

The purpose of the shield is different than Reinhart's in that it doesn't protect the whole team, but acts as an obstacle, breaking line of sight or something to duck behind. So the hero is capable of absorbing damage without completely replacing Reinhart or Orisa in the shield role.
07/24/2017 07:44 PMPosted by IIICorvus
the area take 50 damage per second. Lasts for 8 seconds.

8 seconds will feel like an eternity in this game.
07/25/2017 09:07 AMPosted by EvilLordMrF
the passive interacts very bad with EMP...

I like him being a cop, is other option for players coming straight from classic FPS.

What is supposed to be the ability 1? The effect is cool, but I cant imagine if is a morphine syringue or anything.

Ah, that's true. I didn't think about that. Perhaps something else for the passive.

The ability 1 is like a short-mid range casted ability. Like a Zarya bubble but it wouldn't be a berrier that blocks damage. It's more of a mobile health pack that uses the healing values of health packs, and based on how you time the use of it determines it's strength.
07/25/2017 09:13 AMPosted by RichC
07/24/2017 07:44 PMPosted by IIICorvus
the area take 50 damage per second. Lasts for 8 seconds.

The damage is relatively low unless you stand in it for the whole duration. Which most people wouldn't.

But it works to give your team more survivability while also increasing their dps should enemies stand inside, it also pushes people off an area by forcing them to move outside of it. Tanks are designed around area control, so this would give your team more control but not outright deny the area which is where defense heroes shine. Or at least they're supposed to.

But still, numbers aren't set in stone. I have no way to test them, I just based off other heroes and what sounded ok to me.
07/25/2017 09:26 AMPosted by IIICorvus
07/25/2017 09:13 AMPosted by RichC

The damage is relatively low unless you stand in it for the whole duration. Which most people wouldn't.

But it works to give your team more survivability while also increasing their dps should enemies stand inside, it also pushes people off an area by forcing them to move outside of it. Tanks are designed around area control, so this would give your team more control but not outright deny the area which is where defense heroes shine. Or at least they're supposed to.

But still, numbers aren't set in stone. I have no way to test them, I just based off other heroes and what sounded ok to me.

Fair enough. I like your idea man. I like it a lot. I hope this thread gets traction.
Personally, I think he'd prove to fit in the game much better if he had 100 health/300 shields and had the ability to bodyguard a target(s) within a range and take some of the damage they would take. This ability came and went in many roadhog threads. Forcing health to shield conversion to start/stop based on distance feels like a very rough mechanic to maintain and like its going to have some poor interactions in game.

I like the shieldwall ability, ever think about making him a greek guard? Then you could get some more personality into the build, like a Spartan Warrior theme?
The only thing you need to be wary of is tanks with the ability to self heal can/will break almost any game.
Passive Ability: Allies within a 10 meter radius have 100 points of their health converted to shields. This does not add to the HP value, it just converts the existing value.

Wouldn't that mean Zenyatta and Symmetra just die because they would have 0 health left? :p

Would rather see it add 50 shield health or something.

Other than that (health conversion just leads to weirdness imo) there's some interesting ideas here.
07/25/2017 10:12 AMPosted by Kaeldorn
Passive Ability: Allies within a 10 meter radius have 100 points of their health converted to shields. This does not add to the HP value, it just converts the existing value.

Wouldn't that mean Zenyatta and Symmetra just die because they would have 0 health left? :p

Other than that (health conversion just leads to weirdness imo) there's some interesting ideas here.

that is a good passive, and easier to implement. Even with only 25 hp shield
07/25/2017 10:12 AMPosted by Kaeldorn

that is a good passive, and easier to implement. Even with only 25 hp shield

Yeah, I agree. I didn't think about emp. I originally thought of adding it on top but with Symmetra, Torb, Doomfist, and Lucio, you essentially would have a team of tanks with all the HP stacking. So I thought it better to avoid that. But maybe it wouldn't be so bad.
07/25/2017 09:46 AMPosted by TLDR
The only thing you need to be wary of is tanks with the ability to self heal can/will break almost any game.

Aside from shield HP, there would be no self heal. The shield HP was basically splash protection, and the armor was to give some time to react if you get attacked from behind since you would be swapping weapons often.