Reduce SR decay for inactivity!!

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
Highly Rated
EDIT (24/8/2017):

AWESOME NEWS! Jeff Kaplan announced they are going to reduce the SR decay next patch. So now you will need to play 5 games per week to prevent decay (instead of 7) and the decay was also reduced to 25 SR per day (instead of 50). In my opinion, this new decay is still insanely high, but it's definitely an improvement and I thank Blizzard very much for it.

Jeff then says that decay is necessary because it prevents "undesired behavior that they see if it's not here". He doesn't expand much on it, although I'd certainly want to know what does he mean by that. I'm pretty sure there are better ways of preventing that "undesired behavior" without the need of decay. Also, how does he know that no SR decay is the source of that "undesired behavior" when the game always had SR decay...?

He finally says that they will try new things in the future to allow them to reduce the decay even further.

I leave you here the Developer Update video (decay part is at 2:28):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqf0e8zzyCw&t

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Original Post:

SR decay for inactivity is ridiculous in this game.

For people who don't know what it is or how it works; in Diamond or higher ranks the game will reduce your SR by 50 per day if you did not play 7 games in the last week.

So, if you go on a 2 weeks vacations, you will inevitably lose 350 SR in the best case scenario (considering you played all 7 games the day before you departed which of course wont be the case). 3 weeks vacation? 700 SR less.

To put this in perspective, according to Blizzard's logic, If Surefour (4500 SR) stops playing the game for a month and a half, then when he returns he will have the skill of a high plat / low Diamond player (3000 SR)? That's like saying that if a professional sportsman takes a 1 and a half month break, he will suddenly become average at his sport.

That's insane. This SR loss is super inaccurate since people don't lose their skill so fast just for taking some little breaks. Also, if I don't have the time to play 7 games in a week, I deserv to lose rank? Playing 6, 5, 4 or even 1 game in a week doesn't mean I will start playing worst. Sometimes taking breaks are even necessary to clear your mind and play better.

But this game doesn't allow you to take breaks. The game keeps pushing you to play in a constant fashion, and forcing you to play just to keep your rank, in situations where you either don't want or don't have the time to do it. This makes you play under less than optimal conditions, hindering your and your teammates chances of winning. The game becomes less enjoyable this way, it becomes a chore, a job, and not something you do to enjoy yourself.

So reduce the SR decay please, make it so it starts applying after not playing 5 games in the last 20 days or something in those lines. Or make it so it reduces 10 SR per day, not 50!! Hell, or even remove the decay completely and let the seasons serve as a natural "decay". This is what it is at below 3000 SR and no one complains about it. Seasons aren't that long anyway. Anything would be better than what it is now!

If you don't care because you are not in Diamond or above, think about this as if you were, this is an issue that you will have to face when you get to that rank.

EDIT (to answer common doubts):
07/21/2017 09:34 PMPosted by Titanium
Your MMR remains the same while you are gone, and you get double to triple the SR gains on wins until you get back to where your MMR is. It's pretty easy to climb back up.

I understand that, I really do, but still, it is an unnecesary mechanic. What's the point on losing SR just to waste time to earn it again? Also, If I'm matched using my MMR and not my SR, then the game is already acknowledging that I have that level of skill. Why can't the rank just reflect this as well? What's the point of having "Skill rating" if it's purposely not representing your skill?

Also, it's not as easy to get the rank back as you make it sound. Let's say you go on a 3 week vacation and lose 700sr, so you go down from 3900 to 3200. Let's say 3900 is your "true" rank, so you have around 50% winrate in that rank. Because you are matched with your MMR and not with your rank, you will keep the same 50% winrate even if you are far bellow your actual rank. If you win 40 SR and lose 20, you will be getting 20 SR every 2 games (asuming you win one and lose one) or 10 SR per game in average. So you need to play 70 games just to get back up to the rank that corresponds to you. Why is this even needed in the first place?

And all of this assuming that you can keep up with the arbitrary 7 games per week thing. This may be hard to do consistently if you have a busy life, or maybe if you just want to take a break. If you just want to play less than 7 games a week for whatever reason, then it is impossible to climb.

TLDR: Why does the game care so much about how much we play? The game should only care about our results. If I can mantain a positive winrate in whichever rank I am, I should be able to climb the ladder, even If I play 3 comp games a week. Blizzard, let us play the game in our own pace, don't force it into us.

If you want this to be a thing, help me liking the post and comenting to keep it on top of the forum so other people can see it too. Only threads with like +500 likes are actually listened by the devs and taken into action. Also check out my other thread about implemented an "unranked" mode and why this would greatly benefit the game:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20758346231?page=1
Thank you all for your support.
Your MMR remains the same while you are gone, and you get double to triple the SR gains on wins until you get back to where your MMR is. It's pretty easy to climb back up.

The current decay system exists so that it actually means something to be in Diamond+.
The current decay system exists so that it actually means something to be in Diamond+.

But that "meaning" should be that you have the necesary skills to achieve the rank where you're at, not that you are tied to this game like a ***ing slave with no life!
Someone literally just explained what it does. So since you're so dense:

Your visual SR changes, but your MMR remains the same. So by that logic, you should easily be able to get back to your rating before the decay. Quit complaining.
07/21/2017 10:01 PMPosted by Wolvesbane

Your visual SR changes, but your MMR remains the same. So by that logic, you should easily be able to get back to your rating before the decay. Quit complaining.

What's the point of having "Skill rating" if it's purposely not representing your skill?
Yeah I just lost 300 SR because I stopped playing the game for 2 weeks because it was too boring.. Guess that I will won't play it anymore then.
If you actually belong at your rank, the hidden MMR SR boost will let you get back to your rank pretty fast.
07/21/2017 10:31 PMPosted by Mercy
If you actually belong at your rank, the hidden MMR SR boost will let you get back to your rank pretty fast.

OK I understand that, but what's the point on going down just to get back up again? It's just wasted time. You shouldn't lose it in the first place.
07/21/2017 11:43 PMPosted by Demian

OK I understand that, but what's the point on going down just to get back up again? It's just wasted time. You shouldn't lose it in the first place.

So people wont have 60 smurfs in top 500 im guessing, but i dont see the point of decay below top500

Mercy main, need I say more?

07/21/2017 10:01 PMPosted by Wolvesbane

Gold player, need I say more?

-------------

So if I go on a 3 week vacation and lose 700 sr, my MMR stays the same, so it should be easy to get up, right? Yeah, perhaps if I win 15 games in a row, which if I hadn't decayed in the first place would have put me all the way in Grandmaster. Apparently if I have a 3 week vacation I'm expected to grind for possibly weeks (considering you don't win every god damn game you play, you win 60% if you're lucky), just to get back to where I was previously.

Pathetic.
Yeah it's a bit dumb. I just hit 3k every season and stop now. -Competitive is too annoying and frustrating to be forced to play 7 times a week.

It was okay when I only had to play 1 game a week to maintain rank but most times I just don't feel like playing ranked.

-I know you can climb back up but that also means you still have to maintain 7 games a week. I just think it's a bit stupid to force someone to play the game, I don't want to feel obligated to do anything.
Not sure what the point of SR decay is when your MMR stays the same, meaning it doesn't affect matchmaking...
07/22/2017 12:48 AMPosted by Azariel
Not sure what the point of SR decay is when your MMR stays the same, meaning it doesn't affect matchmaking...
Yep, you still verse the same ranks, making it even harder to get back to where you were. People act as if "your MMR is still high, you'll EASILY be able to get back up to where you were! absolutely no issue!".

Say you decay from GM to diamond, so you gain ~80 sr for the first few games. You'll still be versing GM players due to your MMR, and every game that you lose, your MMR slowly drops down. You cannot reliably get back to where you were.
07/22/2017 12:23 AMPosted by ๏๏๏

The decay happens after a week, which is very generous. If you don't play for 17 days you will lose 500 SR. Which is pretty heavy, and it really should only be 30SR per day after a week... But whatever. Do keep in mind that's OVER HALF A MONTH of not playing a serious match. Imagine not doing cardio or any other demanding hobby for half a month and then thrusting yourself back into it. You might succeed like normal, but you'd be placing the bar at a level that'd be stacked against you by default.

Think of it like this.

You are a bodybuilder. You take a break for over a week, skipping 3 workout days for each muscle group. Yeah you're still strong and a big beefy dude. Yeah you can lift a bunch of weight. Yeah you're still better than the average dude.

But if you try to do the same exact routine you've been doing, you won't do it 100% perfectly like you normally would. You might miss 1 rep or your form might not be as steady. You can do it, but not 100%. Now imagine competing with 11 versions of you from the week~17 days before... Yeah, you're not going to have a fun time being the one that's not 100% prepared like those other 11 people.

The decay is to put you at a rank that the post-break you would be at naturally. This way you aren't thrust into the old routine you used to do. It's not always about preserving your E-Peen by keeping your high number rank. It's about making sure you are fit for the team you will be placed with and also fit enough to enjoy the game. Being the weakest link by default is never fun.

ANYWAY! Your rank isn't just to reflect how great you are (that's what your season high is for), it's to place you with similar ranked players so nobody gets curb stomped into the unfun zone.
OP just crying because this happened to him
07/22/2017 01:08 AMPosted by LilPuddin
07/22/2017 12:23 AMPosted by ๏๏๏
...Mercy main, need I say more?

The decay happens after a week, which is very generous. If you don't play for 17 days you will lose 500 SR. Which is pretty heavy, and it really should only be 30SR per day after a week... But whatever. Do keep in mind that's OVER HALF A MONTH of not playing a serious match. Imagine not doing cardio or any other demanding hobby for half a month and then thrusting yourself back into it. You might succeed like normal, but you'd be placing the bar at a level that'd be stacked against you by default.

Think of it like this.

You are a bodybuilder. You take a break for over a week, skipping 3 workout days for each muscle group. Yeah you're still strong and a big beefy dude. Yeah you can lift a bunch of weight. Yeah you're still better than the average dude.

But if you try to do the same exact routine you've been doing, you won't do it 100% perfectly like you normally would. You might miss 1 rep or your form might not be as steady. You can do it, but not 100%. Now imagine competing with 11 versions of you from the week~17 days before... Yeah, you're not going to have a fun time being the one that's not 100% prepared like those other 11 people.

The decay is to put you at a rank that the post-break you would be at naturally. This way you aren't thrust into the old routine you used to do. It's not always about preserving your E-Peen by keeping your high number rank. It's about making sure you are fit for the team you will be placed with and also fit enough to enjoy the game. Being the weakest link by default is never fun.

ANYWAY! Your rank isn't just to reflect how great you are (that's what your season high is for), it's to place you with similar ranked players so nobody gets curb stomped into the unfun zone.

The difference is that with bodybuilding you can still do a workout outside of a competition without losing muscle mass. With Overwatch you have to be competing 7 times a week or you lose SR- regardless of whether you were working out or not in other game modes. Quickplay, arcade, or even competitive custom games won't stop your decay which means if you have limited time to play Overwatch it will pretty much all be consumed by playing a mode you may not want to play all the time. I also disagree with becoming "out of shape" when not playing ranked. I tend to take ranked games more seriously and play better when I don't play competitive as often- when it becomes a routine it becomes more like quickplay.
Just wish there was a warning. Instead of the "hey, we took your SR! Too late now"
I only wish that SR decay gets frozen when there's a lot of server issues like right now where people are being put into the wrong servers.
<span class="truncated">...</span>Mercy main, need I say more?

Think of it like this.

Why does the game care so much about how much I play? It should only care about my results. If I play 4 ranked games a week and mantain a positive winrate with that in lets say, Masters, why wouldn't I be able to climb? Because I'm playing less than the arbitrary limit established by Blizzard? It doesn't make any sense.