Why always blame the DPS?

General Discussion
I've always seen when matches are going downhill, the dps players are always to blame. It's rarely the tanks or supports. Dps can't do their job if the tanks aren't creating space/soaking up key damage or when Lucio's aren't initiating properly with their tanks with speed boost.
I believe if your team is getting rolled on team fights from start to finish, it's everybody's fault collectively, not just dps. This is assuming if you have a decent comp.

It's easy to blame dps when nothing is happening. It's much harder to criticize tanks/healers because other intangible factors other than 'kills' come in.

There are specific situations when it is the dps player fault. i.e McCree missing a frag on a flash banged enemy at point blank range.

I don't even play dps btw. Winston, Zen, Zarya main.
Yeap. It's because most people that play tank don't know how to tank.
I don't see people blame DPS always, I see people blame bad healing/rezs as well as bad tanking fairly often. But honestly, a good portion of the time it is DPS not getting the key picks. Like getting Pharah out of the sky or killing Mercy/other healers for example. Though, if you have a Winston, he is likely equally to blame of Mercy and other supports aren't killed fast enough. A lot of the time Winston is also heavily relied on to kill Genji and Widow also. So yeah, there is equal blame to go around, but bad DPS is usually the easiest to pick up on.
07/28/2017 07:39 AMPosted by Tensai
I don't see people blame DPS always, I see people blame bad healing/rezs as well as bad tanking fairly often. But honestly, a good portion of the time it is DPS not getting the key picks. Like getting Pharah out of the sky or killing Mercy/other healers for example. Though, if you have a Winston, he is likely equally to blame of Mercy and other supports aren't killed fast enough. A lot of the time Winston is also heavily relied on to kill Genji and Widow also. So yeah, there is equal blame to go around, but bad DPS is usually the easiest to pick up on.

See, there is the misconception right there. When you are a tank, you jump on targets WITH your dps, regardless if the enemy is a genji or widow.

Most tanks either play too passive, or play too aggressive.
If tanks get Gold Damage, that means they aren't shielding enough.

If Tanks get Gold Elims, that means the DPS has been dying alot and there have been some bad heals on them.
I've actually played more Lucio than other dps in comp even though I main dps, mainly because Lucio is less stressful and when I play dps I end up blaming myself for a loss and going back to quickplay.
Its because DPS being effective is complicated. They need heals from their Healers, they need space from their Tanks and like everyone they need peels from enemy flankers.

If one of this is crippled, they cant effectively do their role and usually Tanks and Healers dont realise they arent doing their work and dont get me wrong its usually hard to realise it, but its really easy to see DPS failing their role because of this reasons.

Now please, try to improve yourself and stop being triggered on "Im Grandmaster level Mercy but my bad DPS is holding me back ;-;"
Never have i seen dps accused lol... normally its the one trick mercy not rezzing our *gold dps*. Or our tank didn't do a good enough job opening them up.

Healers and tanks cop it more than dps..part of the reason people are tired of playing them for instant locking dps....
07/28/2017 07:45 AMPosted by Hangender
07/28/2017 07:39 AMPosted by Tensai

See, there is the misconception right there. When you are a tank, you jump on targets WITH your dps, regardless if the enemy is a genji or widow.

Most tanks either play too passive, or play too aggressive.

I'm not saying that he should jump way off the point or away from the team, but just that he needs to focus on specific targets like Genji and Mercy. Too often, and I was just as guilty of this, they focus on the tanks or just dive too deep. This is, of course, an issue mostly seen at the lower levels like I'm in.
07/28/2017 07:47 AMPosted by AlternisDim

If Tanks get Gold Elims, that means the DPS has been dying alot and there have been some bad heals on them.

thats not always true, sometimes they just suck at dps. Maybe they're new or maybe they just weren't meant to play dps but I just had a game where I joined at the end with a team that wasn't wildly imbalanced and got 5 kills with hog and got gold in 2 minutes while everybody just sat there.
Because there are 4 of them and no one on the enemy team is dying.
DPS are the carry role. They have the most impact on the game, so when they fail to have any impact, they get blamed.

It's the same in any game, the more responsibility you take on, the more responsibility you bear for any failures.
07/28/2017 07:29 AMPosted by TheMessiah
I've always seen when matches are going downhill, the dps players are always to blame. It's rarely the tanks or supports.

No? Both sides get blamed, and i wouldn't be surprised if supports get the most !@#$ out of everyone. It's an eternal war between role mains anyway.
07/28/2017 07:47 AMPosted by AlternisDim

This is a very, "DPS IS NEVER AT FAULT!" viewpoint which is just as bad as saying that it is never the healer or never the tank's fault.

I could easily say:
If tanks get Gold Damage, that means the DPS don't have good aim and should switch to let somebody else do a better job.

If Tanks get Gold Elims, that means the DPS has been dying a lot and there have been some really bad positioning choices by them and they need to stop being dimwits and trickling.

I imagine those two statements (which happen a lot with DPS mains) would infuriate you though. Because you are being just like the people who always blame the DPS. It is never the DPS Main's fault, always the healers' or tanks' fault.

That attitude helps nobody. It is a team game. It is (sorry to burst your bubble) rarely one person's specific fault. That is the problem with blaming and finger pointing. When you're busy being upset about not getting your heals or think that the tank isn't shielding you enough or whatever, you help lose the game.

It is somebody's "fault" when they're trolling or throwing.
It is somebody's "fault" when you've got four DPS, and not a one of you selfish buggers will swap to a tank or heals because "IMMA DPS MAIN!"

But other than that? It is a team thing. And if you always think that one particular class is the one messing up, then you are actually the one messing up. Because that means you're too busy pointing blame fingers around and not spending time focusing on your actual job.

You don't ever know the full situation of what your teammates are doing. You might think you're not getting healed and the healer is bad, but from their viewpoint you're not a priority target because others are at lower health. You might think that tank isn't spending enough time shielding you, but that Rein shield might be close to breaking, and it is worse for the team to take the recharge penalty over standing their so you can get a few more pew pews in.

Blaming one specific class (healer, tank or DPS) is a futile effort. All it does is ensure your team will lose and helps to build toxicity in the game.
People blame dps if they dont watch the killfeed. People blame healers if they dont watch their health bar.

This is why I play tank. I cant be blamed :D (I'm kidding ofc, but not about the first bit)
When nobody dies the DPS is just bad. This is fact. The supporter heal the characters and the tanks hold the lines. The DPS has to do something that the team can win. Often times the DPS are just... sorry... extremely bad. The need to KILL them an not damage them. That's the problem.
07/28/2017 08:11 AMPosted by DerGReif2
When nobody dies the DPS is just bad. This is fact. The supporter heal the characters and the tanks hold the lines. The DPS has to do something that the team can win. Often times the DPS are just... sorry... extremely bad. The need to KILL them an not damage them. That's the problem.

This is completely false.

Two other things can be the cause of a DPS player not being able to carry.

1. The tanks aren't creating enough space for theh DPS players to actually kill stuff and the opposing tanks are.
2. The healers aren't supporting the DPS player quite enough for them to actually kill stuff.

Take it from a player who plays all 3 roles and who understand every aspect of it.
The one to blame is the guy that die first almost every fight. If it change every time, then it's mostly that the comp suck (no logic between pick != having off meta hero) or nobody is playing together.
Even if I want to point fingers at tanks whenever I play Lucio and as a Lucio/support main, there are no tanks to be found on either side of the team nowadays on qp.
I don't always blame the DPS, but when I do it's because I'm playing as lucio and have silver or gold damage